38 replies to this topic

#16 UAZip0510

UAZip0510

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 06:54 PM

Something is wrong when you work so hard to recruit someone AND make it to the dance and the guy transfers.

Obviously, it is not because he wants to play for a winning program - we certainly have that.

And just as obviously it is not because some major major is wooing him - he has barely seen the court, no one at an "at large" school is going to offer him a scholarship on the basis of NOTHING.

Sadly, it might be the Akron rep for academics, although I don't see anything wrong with it. Still, it is not Harvard or Princeton or Cornell, so maybe he is going Ivy league as a student?

Why does there have to be something wrong?

Maybe he sees how much Dambrot likes Egner, how he brought in Demetrius Treadwell and Nick Harney, how there's talk of Cventinovic coming back now, and just doesn't see minutes for himself. He's basically in the same spot Swiech was in. He probably wants significant playing time, and I just don't see him getting it here.

#17 UAZip0510

UAZip0510

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 06:57 PM

I don't think it affects recruiting too much. Most of the recent transfers out of the program have nothing but good things to say about it. They understood they didn't fit but were grateful for the opportunity to compete for a roster spot on a good D-I team. They all got to go to the NCAA tournament and they all have MAC championship rings.

Recruits see a competitive environment. It takes a certain kind of attitude to play for KD, and kids that want it all handed to them wouldn't come here anyway.

+1

#18 Zipmeister

Zipmeister

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:14 PM

Where will he end up? My prediction - D2 Bellarmine (its in KY)

#19 Dave in Green

Dave in Green

Collaborator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,233 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:40 PM

I really don't see this as such a big deal. It happens all the time in college basketball. Otherwise, the Zips wouldn't have Walsh and Gilliam on the roster.

#20 RootforRoo44

RootforRoo44

Zips Superfan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:13 PM

If he transfers I don't blame him totally, but at the same time what the hell is he thinking? Next year he has a chance to play and earn his spot, not to mention he has a ring to pick up at one point for being a MAC Champion basketball player. Maybe it's just my undying obsession with UA talking but I just don't get it. Maybe he thinks those greyshirts are going to take his spot?

Posted Image

#21 Quickzips

Quickzips

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 06:49 AM

Something is wrong when you work so hard to recruit someone AND make it to the dance and the guy transfers.

Obviously, it is not because he wants to play for a winning program - we certainly have that.

And just as obviously it is not because some major major is wooing him - he has barely seen the court, no one at an "at large" school is going to offer him a scholarship on the basis of NOTHING.

Sadly, it might be the Akron rep for academics, although I don't see anything wrong with it. Still, it is not Harvard or Princeton or Cornell, so maybe he is going Ivy league as a student?

I think you pretty well answered your own question right there. If this goes down, I doubt it has anything to do with bad feelings towards our program or academics or anything like that. The majority of these situations come down to playing time.

#22 Captain Kangaroo

Captain Kangaroo

UA Intramural Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,484 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:35 AM

Maybe he thinks those greyshirts are going to take his spot?

The Zips basketball program has no Greyshirts.
"95% of all excuses are probably true. And 100% of them are unacceptable."

-Denny Green-

#23 xu9697

xu9697

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:51 AM

Northern Kentucky was a national title contender a few years ago. Lost recently to Bellarmine...most likely one of those 2 schools.

http://nkunorse.com/...amp;path=mbball

#24 GoZips

GoZips

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:37 PM

If he transfers I don't blame him totally, but at the same time what the hell is he thinking?

Next year he has a chance to play and earn his spot, not to mention he has a ring to pick up at one point for being a MAC Champion basketball player.

Maybe it's just my undying obsession with UA talking but I just don't get it. Maybe he thinks those greyshirts are going to take his spot?

Like Cap'n said. The Zips have no grey shirts (at least none in basketball).

Two thoughts come to my mind. First is does Dakota have the will to do the required work? Second,
no matter how much work he does he can not vastly improve his foot speed. D-I ball may be just
to fast for Dakota.

All the best to him.

#25 Zeke_for_MVP

Zeke_for_MVP

Junior Zippy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:40 PM

If he transfers I don't blame him totally, but at the same time what the hell is he thinking?

Next year he has a chance to play and earn his spot, not to mention he has a ring to pick up at one point for being a MAC Champion basketball player.

Maybe it's just my undying obsession with UA talking but I just don't get it. Maybe he thinks those greyshirts are going to take his spot?

Two thoughts come to my mind. First is does Dakota have the will to do the required work? Second,
no matter how much work he does he can not vastly improve his foot speed. D-I ball may be just
to fast for Dakota.

All the best to him.

I thought Harney and Tree were gray shirts?

#26 Dave in Green

Dave in Green

Collaborator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,233 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:07 PM

Just speculating here. But if slow foot speed is the primary reason for Euton to leave the Zips program, it doesn't necessarily mean he couldn't make it in DI. There are still some schools that run deliberate, slow-down offenses where Euton's 3-point shooting could fit in pretty well.

#27 Blue & Gold

Blue & Gold

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,511 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:11 PM

to fast for Dakota.

All the best to him.

I thought Harney and Tree were gray shirts?

They're non-qualifiers. I don't know how a gray shirt works, but Treadwell & Harney had to simply enroll like any other student, pay for school, attend class & get decent enough grades to make themselves eligible. From everything we've heard it sounds like they've stepped up to the plate and have done it! :rock:

Terry Bowden. Keith Dambrot. Rick Rembielak. Chuck Amato. How ya like dem apples, Terry Pluto?! This is AKRON!

#28 ZachTheZip

ZachTheZip

Only a Zips fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,549 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:11 PM

Just speculating here. But if slow foot speed is the primary reason for Euton to leave the Zips program, it doesn't necessarily mean he couldn't make it in DI. There are still some schools that run deliberate, slow-down offenses where Euton's 3-point shooting could fit in pretty well.

Just look at WMU's Stainbrook.

Euton can play D-I ball. He can transfer and still have three years to play.

#29 Quickzips

Quickzips

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:14 PM

Stainbrook? Really? That is your example? A guy who doesn't have the physical endurance to stay on the floor, who Zeke pretty much abused in the semi-finals from a program that we have owned for the last half dozen years or so? Excuse me if I sound a bit elitist here, but this program can and should aspire to a lot more than Matt Stainbrook.

#30 ZachTheZip

ZachTheZip

Only a Zips fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,549 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:18 PM

Stainbrook? Really? That is your example? A guy who doesn't have the physical endurance to stay on the floor, who Zeke pretty much abused in the semi-finals from a program that we have owned for the last half dozen years or so? Excuse me if I sound a bit elitist here, but this program can and should aspire to a lot more than Matt Stainbrook.

My point is that if Stainbrook can make a D-I roster for a winning team and play significant minutes, Euton most certainly can do the same.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users