38 replies to this topic

#31 Blue & Gold

Blue & Gold

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,516 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:19 PM

Just speculating here. But if slow foot speed is the primary reason for Euton to leave the Zips program, it doesn't necessarily mean he couldn't make it in DI. There are still some schools that run deliberate, slow-down offenses where Euton's 3-point shooting could fit in pretty well.

Just look at WMU's Stainbrook.

Euton can play D-I ball. He can transfer and still have three years to play.

Stainbrook? Really? That is your example? A guy who doesn't have the physical endurance to stay on the floor, who Zeke pretty much abused in the semi-finals from a program that we have owned for the last half dozen years or so? Excuse me if I sound a bit elitist here, but this program can and should aspire to a lot more than Matt Stainbrook.

I think Zach was illustrating that Euton could find another D-1 program to play for and not necessarily have to move down to D-2.

Between us on ZN, and by implication, the entire wired universe, I'm pretty excited about where KD is taking the program if less athletic players see the writing on the wall that they won't be getting any PT. It was just last season (after two decisive beatings from the school to the east) that I was lamenting our lack of athleticism. Talk about a quick 180!

Terry Bowden. Keith Dambrot. Rick Rembielak. Chuck Amato. How ya like dem apples, Terry Pluto?! This is AKRON!

#32 ZachTheZip

ZachTheZip

Only a Zips fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,580 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 02:33 PM

Looks like moving close to home was an important factor for Dakotah. He will play next season for the NAIA Asbury University Eagles, a few miles outside of Lexington, KY.

#33 Dr Z

Dr Z

Zips Junkie

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 02:47 PM

Twitter Source from Coach Prevett at Asbury. Good luck Dakota. :wave:

michgamebanner2.jpg

"I've been fortunate in my life time to be part of some big wins, and that would have been the biggest" —Terry Bowden on UA@UM

#34 Hilltopper

Hilltopper

Zips Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 03:30 PM

Asbury looks like they have a nice program. I'll bet he fits right in, from what I saw on the Asbury University web site.

1375764_458105717640933_1992065435_n.jpg

#35 Dave in Green

Dave in Green

Collaborator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,292 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 04:21 PM

Very disappointing. I probably had higher hopes for Euton than most on this forum. I spent a lot of time researching him on the internet, and thought that playing a tough schedule against a number of nationally ranked teams on a powerhouse Kentucky HS team would have him well prepared to contribute to the Zips. In retrospect, it may be that his many high-performing HS teammates covered some of his weaknesses. The biggest criticism against Euton on the Kentucky HS forums was that he was not quick and athletic enough to perform at a high level in DI, and that may be what did him in with the Zips. In the end Euton turned out to be a lot like Swiech. I wish Euton well, same as I did Swiech when he left. The way KD is recruiting these days, there's less likelihood in the future of seeing players like Euton and Swiech at UA.

#36 johnnyzip84

johnnyzip84

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,018 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:33 PM

Watching Kentucky just now, I still can't see why Calipari revoked Dakota's scholly offer :lol:

Bowden Ball 2014.....Fiat Lux.

#37 JSF

JSF

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:44 AM

Funny to see this thread get bumped. My employer's executive director is a graduate of Asbury Seminary and is currently a visiting practitioner there. He's also being awarded an honorary Ph.D in May.
Follow the MAC Report Online and J. Scott Fitzwater Twitter feeds.

#38 Dave in Green

Dave in Green

Collaborator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,292 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:29 AM

Looking back on how Euton played while at UA reminds me of how optimistic I was about him based on his 2009 performance against Jared Sullinger in the King James Classic at the JAR:

Consider how highly rated and highly recruited big men Jared Sullinger and Adreian Payne have been. The best hint of Euton's defensive abilities I've seen was a couple of brief lines in a rivals.com report on the 2009 King James Classic:

The vaunted All-Ohio frontline of Jared Sullinger and Adreian Payne was largely held in check because of the strong defensive performances of Parker and Dakotah Euton. Euton was physical with Sullinger and prevented him from getting rebounds.

While it may be unrealistic to think Euton could consistently neutralize scout.com's #1 rated center in the HS class of 2010, the fact that he did so well against Sullinger in the King James Classic suggests that he has the ability and desire to play really good, hard D against anyone. If he plays D like that for KD, you know he's going to get a lot of minutes.

rivals.com link

#39 Quickzips

Quickzips

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,056 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:51 AM

Looking back on how Euton played while at UA reminds me of how optimistic I was about him based on his 2009 performance against Jared Sullinger in the King James Classic at the JAR:

At this point I'll take Demetrius Treadwell and Nick Harney over what I saw out of Euton. That was basically the trade off we made, and I think we ended up on the good side of that one.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users