Need big men.......

I have a idea that just might work. I do not know know much about the rules about recruiting, however instead of going after JUCO's of "mid major guards(and the Zips are stacked with that). How about going to the other extreme.

You want to find big men, as in F/C why recruit in Europe of China? I promise you that they have plenty there and it might be easier.

Any thoughts or other ideas?

I have a idea that just might work. I do not know know much about the rules about recruiting, however instead of going after JUCO's of "mid major guards(and the Zips are stacked with that). How about going to the other extreme.

You want to find big men, as in F/C why recruit in Europe of China? I promise you that they have plenty there and it might be easier.

"Why recruit in Europe of China" you ask.

Because that would be to hard to find on a map, I answer.

I say why not recruit in Europe or China? :)

My fault, bad grammar B)

My fault, bad grammar B)

No problem. Compared to 98% of the big men in Europe and China that you are talking about going after you English speak good very.

Why? Why do we need even more "big men" on the roster? Why are there a bunch of threads urging Dambrot to do something that clearly doesn't need to be done at this time?

• 2 weeks later...

Michigan State Center to Transfer

Garrick Sherman: Height- 6'10" Rivals had him listed at 4 stars ESPN graded him at a 90

The school made the announcement Monday. He averaged 12 minutes, threepoints and 2.6 rebounds a game last season as a sophomore.

Sherman says he believes it is time for a fresh start. Michigan State coachTom Izzo says he met with every player after the season and Sherman later choseto leave after talking with his family.

Sherman averaged nearly 24 points and 16 rebounds two years ago as a seniorat Kenton High School in Ohio.

He played in 70 games, starting 29, for the Spartans and averaged 2 1/2points and two rebounds a game.

With Sherman looking to make a fresh start, a school close to home might be a good fit. Should Akron take any interest in this kid?

I believe Can't State thinks this kid is a lock as long as Senderoff is made HC.

I suppose this all is dependent on how our scholarship situation plays out, but if we end up with an extra one this kid could provide Zeke the backup many people are searching for.

It's not a bad idea to recruit around the globe for potential college players. Fact is, the big schools with the big basketball budgets have already thoroughly combed the rest of the world looking for college-age big men with talent. Even mid-major Gonzaga has a private jet their coaching staff uses to travel around the globe looking for talent. What kind of budget does UA have to compete against the big-budget schools and their private jets?

Why? Why do we need even more "big men" on the roster? Why are there a bunch of threads urging Dambrot to do something that clearly doesn't need to be done at this time?

Ooh, Ooh, I know.

Cause having two or three is better than having one.

Ooh, Ooh, I know.

Cause having two or three is better than having one.

:bow::bow::bow:

We really need a "slow clap smiley".

Danger when talking about big guys is always the same. There a 6'10" and above guys out there to be had. Too many of them can't play a lick of basketball, but will end up getting a scholarship to play the game somewhere simply because they are tall. This is especially true for overseas players where the game isn't necessarily as popular as it is here stateside and these kids aren't exposed to it at such a young age. Personally, if we have an extra scholarship to use up and the choice is between a 6'5" wing player from the states with long arms, a good jumper, ability to finish around the rim and all around athletic talent or a 6'11" center from Akmahdenijaniastonia who hasn't played much organized basketball and doesn't have a strong grasp of the fundamentals of the game, I'll take the 6'5" wing player every time.

Danger when talking about big guys is always the same. There a 6'10" and above guys out there to be had. Too many of them can't play a lick of basketball, but will end up getting a scholarship to play the game somewhere simply because they are tall. This is especially true for overseas players where the game isn't necessarily as popular as it is here stateside and these kids aren't exposed to it at such a young age. Personally, if we have an extra scholarship to use up and the choice is between a 6'5" wing player from the states with long arms, a good jumper, ability to finish around the rim and all around athletic talent or a 6'11" center from Akmahdenijaniastonia who hasn't played much organized basketball and doesn't have a strong grasp of the fundamentals of the game, I'll take the 6'5" wing player every time.

I was under the impression that European players have a reputation for being more fundamentally sound than American players. The European game is more team oriented. But maybe Akmahdeniijaniastonia is not in Europe.

You are very incorrect.

Players are moved along much quicker and much sooner in Europe than they are here in the states. The way they develop players over there is much better than how we do it here. Players in the states are so far behind Euro's at a young age it isnt funny. Difference is, there tends to be more raw talent in the states than in Europe. But that is quickly eroding because our style of play is so poor. I cant seem to find the results, but when was the last time our u18 won the world championships? If I recall correctly, I believe we have lost?

The big difference is players over there get involved with pro teams and when they turn 18, sometimes before, they start getting paid. So they aren't eligible to play here. See Kanter from Kentucky. But some that don't take pay to play college in the states can be very good, however, like others have said, the big schools generally already have well covered.

• 4 weeks later...
Michigan State Center to Transfer

Garrick Sherman: Height- 6'10" Rivals had him listed at 4 stars ESPN graded him at a 90

The school made the announcement Monday. He averaged 12 minutes, threepoints and 2.6 rebounds a game last season as a sophomore.

Sherman says he believes it is time for a fresh start. Michigan State coachTom Izzo says he met with every player after the season and Sherman later choseto leave after talking with his family.

Sherman averaged nearly 24 points and 16 rebounds two years ago as a seniorat Kenton High School in Ohio.

He played in 70 games, starting 29, for the Spartans and averaged 2 1/2points and two rebounds a game.

With Sherman looking to make a fresh start, a school close to home might be a good fit. Should Akron take any interest in this kid?

I believe Can't State thinks this kid is a lock as long as Senderoff is made HC.

I suppose this all is dependent on how our scholarship situation plays out, but if we end up with an extra one this kid could provide Zeke the backup many people are searching for.

A lock for sure:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketbal...s-to-notre-dame