#47 Dr Z

Dr Z

Zips Junkie

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,667 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 03:15 PM

Mike's full write up on the game.

The offense played a clean game, committing no turnovers. There were a total of 550 offensive yards in 69 plays. The Zips had 13 offensive drives, and Patrick Nicely and Clayton Moore piloted five each. Zach D’Orazio ran the offense for the other three series. “I thought all three quarterbacks were very efficient,” Ianello said. “We are heading in the right direction. No interceptions. Took care of the ball. Managed the team. Percentages are good. I thought they were very efficient.”

You didn’t see the defense at full strength. Four potential starters sat out with injuries: defensive back Anthony Holmes, lineman Oren Wilson, and linebackers Matt Little and Troy Gilmer. Ianello also limited his blitzes and kept it to the base package, in part, because it’s an open practice where opposing coaches could watch. “I did handcuff the defense,” Ianello said. “I think the spring games are about running your base offense and base defense, because if you can’t run your base offense and base defense, you’re in trouble anyway.” Despite those limitations, Ianello told his players to focus on hitting hard in the Spring Game. “I want people in the stands to know they were at a football game today,” the coach said.

Several players emerged as key members of the program in the past few weeks. The two freshmen running backs perhaps top the list. Also included are defensive backs Seth Cunningham and L.T. Smith, receiver Marquelo Suel, and linebackers ShelDon Miller and Jamar Williams. “We’re certainly a much-improved football team from where we were a year ago and from the Buffalo game,” Ianello said.

Interesting poll on Razor's site: 72% of fans are encouraged by spring practices and the Spring Game

michgamebanner2.jpg

"I've been fortunate in my life time to be part of some big wins, and that would have been the biggest" —Terry Bowden on UA@UM

#48 g-mann17

g-mann17

Nonsensical Rambler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,358 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 03:31 PM

Interesting poll on Razor's site: 72% of fans are encouraged by spring practices and the Spring Game

Apparently that other 28% post on here.
"At least we know what the hell we is...we's a ZIP!" - Butchie Washington

#49 johnnyzip84

johnnyzip84

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,137 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:25 PM

Our linebackers look scary this year.
Posted Image

:lol: well done! And here I figured iCoach was just being smart in limiting #34's time on the field to prevent a senseless injury. Now I realize he wasn't out there very long due to all the time spent in make-up.

Some additional thoughts have come to mind regarding the spring game:

1. I've been trying to recall the last Zip RB in memory who hit the hole as fast as Chisholm. This one goes back a ways. The guy was Greg Lomax. Sure we've had better all-around backs since then, but Lomax hit the hole at full speed. Jawon does very much the same, but he looks like a more complete back IMHO (check out his HS youtube highlights...he has very good hands) who will likely play bigger than Greg by the time he's done.
2. It's true that we won't know for sure how much the offense has improved until a real game. BUT, I did like the execution I saw. They didn't shoot themselves in the foot, and that's definitely a step forward.
3. Dr Z seemed sort of curious as to the lack of conversation around Suel. I think part of it was because the earlier clips from camp of him showed some of his potential, and had a number of us thinking he looked to be pretty good. His play in the spring game did nothing to detract from that.
4. Keener and others hit on this and I completely agree. The defensive backfield is clearly the #1 area of concern for this team. With Richardson likely out for the year and Holmes nursing some sort of injury, we're going to need LT Smith, Seth Cunningham etc. to mature quickly for the rest of the defense to have a chance.

Bowden Ball 2014.....Fiat Lux.

#50 Dr Z

Dr Z

Zips Junkie

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,667 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:04 AM

....I've been trying to recall the last Zip RB in memory who hit the hole as fast as Chisholm. This one goes back a ways. The guy was Greg Lomax. Sure we've had better all-around backs since then, but Lomax hit the hole at full speed. Jawon does very much the same, but he looks like a more complete back IMHO (check out his HS youtube highlights...he has very good hands) who will likely play bigger than Greg by the time he's done.

That comparison makes me excited. I have a kewl photo of Greg and I at Steeler's camp.

michgamebanner2.jpg

"I've been fortunate in my life time to be part of some big wins, and that would have been the biggest" —Terry Bowden on UA@UM

#51 johnnyzip84

johnnyzip84

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,137 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:43 AM

Some additional thoughts have come to mind regarding the spring game:

1. I've been trying to recall the last Zip RB in memory who hit the hole as fast as Chisholm. This one goes back a ways. The guy was Greg Lomax. Sure we've had better all-around backs since then, but Lomax hit the hole at full speed. Jawon does very much the same, but he looks like a more complete back IMHO (check out his HS youtube highlights...he has very good hands) who will likely play bigger than Greg by the time he's done.
2. It's true that we won't know for sure how much the offense has improved until a real game. BUT, I did like the execution I saw. They didn't shoot themselves in the foot, and that's definitely a step forward.
3. Dr Z seemed sort of curious as to the lack of conversation around Suel. I think part of it was because the earlier clips from camp of him showed some of his potential, and had a number of us thinking he looked to be pretty good. His play in the spring game did nothing to detract from that.
4. Keener and others hit on this and I completely agree. The defensive backfield is clearly the #1 area of concern for this team. With Richardson likely out for the year and Holmes nursing some sort of injury, we're going to need LT Smith, Seth Cunningham etc. to mature quickly for the rest of the defense to have a chance.

Good for Doug!

Bowden Ball 2014.....Fiat Lux.

#52 Captain Kangaroo

Captain Kangaroo

UA Intramural Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,611 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:19 AM

Apparently that other 28% post on here.

Who's more knowledgeable? :D
"95% of all excuses are probably true. And 100% of them are unacceptable."

-Denny Green-

#53 g-mann17

g-mann17

Nonsensical Rambler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,358 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:44 AM

Who's more knowledgeable? :D

Apparently...we were...

:ninja: :ninja: :ninja:

#54 akronad

akronad

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:08 PM

anyone planning on tailgating before the Spring Game.

#55 Big Zip

Big Zip

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:17 AM

Just checked the weather for Saturday...are you serious? 70 and Isolate T-Storms on Friday and 42 and showers for the Spring game.

#56 g-mann17

g-mann17

Nonsensical Rambler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,358 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:36 AM

Just checked the weather for Saturday...are you serious?

70 and Isolate T-Storms on Friday and 42 and showers for the Spring game.

It's spring weather, you can't predict what it will do 4 days out. Last Tuesday they called for severe T-storms over the weekend, we barely got any rain.

Channel 5 is saying 60-ish and possible showers, my phone is saying 65 and cloudy.

It will be a mid afternoon game so even T-storms on Friday just means the possibility of wet seats by 3 on Saturday.

#57 AKSportsFan

AKSportsFan

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:46 AM

I would love to tailgate but I will be in Guzzetta Hall all morning.
"Akron out of time outs. 2nd and 10. Hixon running deep, Getsy pumps, he throws for Hixon and it is---CAUGHT for a touchdown ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!"

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users