Zakuani Thread

Steve was undercut on a really bad tackle attempt by veteran Brian Mullan in the Sounders game tonight at Colorado, in just the 4th minute. Mullan got the straight red, but that sound on the hit wasn't what I hoped it was -- Steve's shinpad. They put a inflation cast on the right leg, but from the description of the announcers, I fear it might be a compound fracture. The visiting FCSS fans in the corner chanted Steve's name as he was carted into the locker room. He went straight to hospital. Let's hope it's not as serious as it at first appeared.

Steve was undercut on a really bad tackle attempt by veteran Brian Mullan in the Sounders game tonight at Colorado, in just the 4th minute. Mullan got the straight red, but that sound on the hit wasn't what I hoped it was -- Steve's shinpad. They put a inflation cast on the right leg, but from the description of the announcers, I fear it might be a compound fracture. The visiting FCSS fans in the corner chanted Steve's name as he was carted into the locker room. He went straight to hospital. Let's hope it's not as serious as it at first appeared.

I was watching when it happened. Tough one for Steve, read its a broken tibia and fibula, having surgery tonight. Feel bad for a veteran like Mullan, although it was a horrible tackle and deserves to be banned for a little time. Hoping for a fast recovery to Steve. If you like to send your thoughts to Steve visit this link Best Wishes to Steve

I was watching when it happened. Tough one for Steve, read its a broken tibia and fibula, having surgery tonight. Feel bad for a veteran like Mullan, although it was a horrible tackle and deserves to be banned for a little time. Hoping for a fast recovery to Steve. If you like to send your thoughts to Steve visit this link Best Wishes to Steve

The updated news is very sad, indeed. Unlikely we'll see #11 again this season. As far as Brian Mullan's "tackle", it was totally reckless, and uncalled for in the game of football. I think if he wants any sympathy at all he needs to publicly apologize to Steve. He is a well respected vet in the league, and I hope this is not what he's remembered for years from now.

To me, the most appalling parts of the tackle was that it was near midfield, on the sideline, at the start of the game, and during the regular season. All of those factors demonstrate how wreckless and unnecessary the tackle was. And the move Stevie put on Mullan that lead to the challenge was totally legit in the flow of the game. That is, Stevie was not trying to show Mullan up. I could only watch the replay once because as a forward who has been tackled like that before, it was terrifying. Fortunately, I have only ever fractured my ankles.

The reaction by some of the Colorado players in showing sportsmanship and outwardly disassociating themselves from Mullan by leaving the bench was encouraging. Peer pressure and professionalism can go along way in discouraging this kind of behavior in the future. I loved the Seattle fans chanting Stevie's name as he was being carted off especially considering it was an away game. The best fan base in MLS by far! Awesome.

In the end, this is a potentially career ending injury and the MLS should show no tolerance by throwing Mullan out of the league permanently. Will this happen? I highly doubt it. However, a burgeoning league in a highly competitive sports culture cannot allow its most promising young stars to be wrecklessly and unnecessarily injured.

Get well Steve, and I look forward to seeing you back on the field in the fall.

The suspension should reflect an "eye for an eye" philosophy. If Steve-O misses the rest of the season, the offending player should miss the same amount. If Zakuani suffers a career-ending injury, then the Rapids player never suits up for another MLS game. A statement against reckless behavior needs to be made.

This article from Seattle Sports Central sums up the situation better than any I've read. The comment from Mullan after the game only makes things worse. He sounds remorseless.

That article is actually from SounderAtHeart, IMO the best Sounders blog out there. Seattle Sports Central just rips off other articles then throws in a mention down at the bottom.

This article from Seattle Sports Central sums up the situation better than any I've read. The comment from Mullan after the game only makes things worse. He sounds remorseless.

That article is actually from SounderAtHeart, IMO the best Sounders blog out there. Seattle Sports Central just rips off other articles then throws in a mention down at the bottom.

Thanks for the addition Tank. I think the guy who blogs as Sounder@Heart is the team-appointed fan club director -- do you know?. I get his e-mails from the team about ticket sales. Actually I owe him, as he helped me get my Barca tix in '09 at a cheaper rate.

Thanks for the addition Tank. I think the guy who blogs as Sounder@Heart is the team-appointed fan club director -- do you know?. I get his e-mails from the team about ticket sales. Actually I owe him, as he helped me get my Barca tix in '09 at a cheaper rate.

That I actually do not know. I know he is part of Emerald City Supporters (ECS), the big supporters group for the Sounders, but not sure if he is what you mentioned.

Hoooooooraaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy! The Leaking Urnal has finally printed something re: Steveo!!!!!! AN AMAZING NEWSPAPER!

Only because Michael Beaven took the time to call Steve and interview him. The BJ doesn't really care about UA Athletics.

At the end of the SKC vs NY Red Bulls game tonight (Red Bulls 1, SKC 0), Teal Bunbury traded jerseys with Juan Agudelo...Teal was wearing an undershirt that clearly said in large letters so all could see and as noted by the broadcasters, "FOR STEVE ZAKUANI"

• 2 weeks later...

There was a shout out to Zakuani by Drew Carey on today's episode of The Price Is Right. One of the first four contestants was an Akron student and when she won her way onstage and said that she was an Akron student, Carey gave Zakuani a shout out. Carey is part-owner of the Sounders; this TPIR taped just days after the injury. Sometime this evening CBS.com will have the show online for viewing, in case one wanted to see.

There was a shout out to Zakuani by Drew Carey on today's episode of The Price Is Right. One of the first four contestants was an Akron student and when she won her way onstage and said that she was an Akron student, Carey gave Zakuani a shout out. Carey is part-owner of the Sounders; this TPIR taped just days after the injury. Sometime this evening CBS.com will have the show online for viewing, in case one wanted to se :bow: e.

You beat me to it! :bow:

There was a shout out to Zakuani by Drew Carey on today's episode of The Price Is Right. One of the first four contestants was an Akron student and when she won her way onstage and said that she was an Akron student, Carey gave Zakuani a shout out. Carey is part-owner of the Sounders; this TPIR taped just days after the injury. Sometime this evening CBS.com will have the show online for viewing, in case one wanted to see.

TPIR 5-16-10

~12:40 mark

TPIR 5-16-10

~12:40 mark

A quick shoutout but it was nice to see. They even put Sarah's segment as its own clip! Sarah's pricing game, plus shoutout to Zakuani

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...