Article on Joe Jakubick

johnnyzip84

I was in school when Joe played. My roommate and I would sit at games and make bets when he shot free throws. The bet was not whether he would miss...but would his shot touch the rim. Almost always it was nothing but net. We would sit in the first rows after getting to the game late (class I think ;) The BB team had even less support then...but far fewer people thought we should be competing for the national title just because of we were who we are and that we were from Akron. The attitude of many on this board is very annoying at times....they want it here and NOW (like most of the USA now unfortunately). But then I take a deep breath and realize that it also means that many more people actually care. No one cared back then.

Great article. I hope Dambrot puts Joe on his coaching team if he fits a future opening.

I just noticed this. Thanks for sharing. He still has the eyebrows -- that's about the only way I would recognize him. When he showed up as a freshman there's no way anyone who didn't know would have suspected he was a player. Six-five-and-a-half, and a hundred forty-something. He was the "Sneaky-fastest" player I ever saw. His rebounding ability was amazing. But he happened to miss free-throws at the worst times. I only wish we could have had better coaching. He deserved a lot more than he received at Akron.

After his senior year (1984), the OVC coaches had to write a letter to US Olympic team coach Bob Knight to give Joe a try-out. I think he looked at him for ten minutes, and sent him packing. :(

• 3 months later...
  • 6 years later...