Draft Day

Z-P

As I sit here and write this, we’re up to 239 of 255 selections in the draft. BTW, how’d we get to 255 with 32 teams in 7 rounds = 244 picks?????

Anyway, I could just cry. :( I saw Matthew yesterday at the Bowl, and he looked awesome. Toned, tuned, looooooong arms, chiseled. He looked great. Big, big smile and personality. :rock: How the hell can 29 receivers be better than him?

Did any of these scouts see film on Matt? He has hands, he had YAC, and he was a team leader.

I could just cry for him. :(

I thought for sure he’d be picked up on day two. Silly me. :wall:

Here’s the dealio………….to get over and go in, on draft day, guys like Matt need “Championsâ€. Who are their champions? The coaching staff. What happened to his “Championsâ€? They got handed pink slips. :gun: Kid got jammed at the precise moment he needed help the most.

I really can’t be pissed, because I support the change, but it suuuuuucks for Matt. Could JD have helped? Yea, maybe, but he has other problems and issues he needs to work on more. So I can’t rag on him or his guys.

Could The Boss have helped? Yes. Frankly, I don’t know that he didn’t help. But the mere fact Matthew didn’t get picked makes me wonder.

Can The Boss and the new guys inject themselves now to see if they can help the “lost classâ€? Yes they can. Will they? I’d like the think they will, but it would help if the rest of you slugs jumped the issue and got behind this. They are going to want “us†fully “on boardâ€â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦.so lets let them know we’d like to see them jump behind Matthew, Irv, Mike and the others lining up Free Agent shots at the Show.

B/G game comments tomorrow…………..I’m still bent at you guys over the crap I collected on the “Politics and Religion†dealio……… :mad_flame:

Guest Pro Scout

Long time no write. New home, nice board.

The reason why the Akron kids did not get drafted is that they failed to have the #1 quality needed in the NFL at wire receiver - SPEED. Wide Receivers who go in the draft have rockets for feet, none of Akron's did. How many times over the past few years has Akron had a receiver pull away from a defender? Not too many. Cherry got caught from behind every time I saw him get behind a secondary this past season and that was not due to being underthrown. Same for Nick, Same for Miquel. Scouts see this while fans get blinded by being fanatics. Schifino had two sub-par seasons as a Junior and Senior only to get drafted in the 4th round a few years back. Scouts saw his speed and drooled. Matt, Nick and Irv did not have the jets so they did not get drafted.

Not that there's anything wrong with being a fan, you just have to be able to step away and give it an honest evaluation. Matt needs to be faster, Nick needs to be tougher, Irvin needed to get more than a year in the spotlight while Brake and Hayes are just not NFL players. Who knows, maybe being a free agent is better for these guys because now having contacts and making impressions can make a difference. No NFL team is going to draft a player based on what a biased coach says. If that were the case each team would not employ a dozen or more folks like me to watch games, tape and make judgements on players. I for one and glad that the NFL values human judgement over a good ol' boy network. I'd look for 3-4 of these guys to really have a chacne to sign nice free agent deals and have a better chance at making a team now thank if they had been signed by some team as a 7th round pick. Few 7th rounders make it in the league. Having the right advisors can make all the difference in making it as a free agent.

Thanks for coming in PS.

Still stand by my comments. You may be more on top of the reality, and I yield to that, but by the same token, I doubt that EVERYTHING I SENSE is incorrect.

How'd 2 collect all those punt return yards, TD's on returns, and YAC if he couldn't seperate? Did you see him play? No disrespect, just aksing.

BTW, luv 9, and he's a blue chip young man with a huuuuuuuge future ahead of him regardless. :bow:

Guest Guest

I'm sorry but Cherry should have been drafted. Akron's offense was one of the most potent in college football. Add a defense, and you have your mac champions. #5 could not have done it alone. Cherry is a major reason why our qb has had so much success. If anyone happened to be at the spring game, our offense was not the same at all. In fact, it was horrible! You could tell we were missing that talent on the outside. Speed? This kid had speed. I've seen him return punts all the way to the endzone. He was a threat wherever he was on the field. Physically, he looked like he belongs in the NFL. The saying that the NFL will find you if your good is a bunch of bs. There is no way that twenty some recievers were better than Cherry. Its obvious that teams have no respect for Akron at all, and that is something that we need Mr. Brookhart to change.

Here’s the dealio………….to get over and go in, on draft day, guys like Matt need “Championsâ€. Who are their champions? The coaching staff. What happened to his “Championsâ€? They got handed pink slips.  Kid got jammed at the precise moment he needed help the most.

I really can’t be pissed, because I support the change, but it suuuuuucks for Matt. Could JD have helped? Yea, maybe, but he has other problems and issues he needs to work on more. So I can’t rag on him or his guys.

Could The Boss have helped? Yes. Frankly, I don’t know that he didn’t help. But the mere fact Matthew didn’t get picked makes me wonder.

Can The Boss and the new guys inject themselves now to see if they can help the “lost classâ€? Yes they can. Will they? I’d like the think they will, but it would help if the rest of you slugs jumped the issue and got behind this. They are going to want “us†fully “on boardâ€â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦.so lets let them know we’d like to see them jump behind Matthew, Irv, Mike and the others lining up Free Agent shots at the Show.

You know who else could have helped........LEE OWENS. There was nothing precluding him from doing so. I've heard conflicting stories about Lee's character :unsure: , I tend to believe he was and is a good guy, but why didn't HE step it up for these guys?

I give JD a pass on this one. He doesn't know these guys, he's probably seen limited film on them, and it would be tough to go to the NFL powers to be and make a case for them when he really knows less about them than we do.

There's no excuse for the boss, he should have and as far as we know, didn't.

Pro Scout, good to have you back :wave: on the board!

Guest Guest_Z.I.P.

Nick Sparks has no speed???

I thought he was supposed to be the fastest player on the team. If he is too slow for the League, that says a lot about the talent level LO had.

I think all three will get FA tryouts, and likely at least one will make it to a roster, though perhaps in a practice (taxi squad) position this year.

Its all about perspective in this issue. I think everyone is right in their own perspective. Yes, the guys are all good guys but , assuming Pro Scout is who he says he is is correct and i have no doubt he is, he is very right. Matt needs more speed, quicker feet and the ability to pull away from a defender. Witness jamie goodwin in the scrim sat, now there is speed. Nick needs to be tougher, he did not like coming across the middle at all, hell he was a QB converted to WR for gods sake !. And Miquel needs more than one year in the sun also.

I also think the program you come from and the character of that program has lots of meaning. I remember going to a visit with someone close to me at Michigan State Uni versity football on campus visit. There, one of the assistants told us (perhaops 60-75 kids and adults) that maybe less than one half of 1% of those there today could expect to make it in the NFL. But not to worry because if you do have whAt it takes, not to worry because they (the NFL) will find that out and they will find you!!!!!!!!!! It only makes sense, there it means something, caue its "about the money and winning. They do not reply on the rumor mill and high school coaches and scouting services rankings for their info, there are real people watching film and going to games and watching targets.

Mike Brake is a great kid and could pounish someone after he caught the ball, but he is not NFL quality. Maybe a practice squard player. Marques Hayes, NFW even a practice squad guy.He was not that good.

Having a draft party is cool, so is hiring an agent as long as you did not have to pay him or her for a shot in the dark. The guys should pursue the drewam sure but be realistic.

Did anyone notice the last deal before ESPN signed off for Draft Day coverage? Mel Kiper listed the top 5 seniors for next year. #% not there and not mentioned. Its all about W's and he aint got none. Maybe JD can fix that.

Sorry Padre, but I still love you Man!

:nutkick: