2012 commit PG Carmelo Betancourt

Carmelo is a special point guard. To correct a previous poster, he did not play in only a few games for Montrose this year. He played in all of them. In fact, he was the key cog in games against nationally ranked teams like Oak Hill and Arlington Country Day. However, what he does, doesn't always show up in the stat sheets. He rarely is concerned for his numbers and can go whole games without shooting. He was featured on the Fox College Sports tv show, Hoops Academy this year, which went behind the scenes at national champion Montrose Christian for the whole season. Check it out:www.Hoops Academy.TV
All I can say is, anyone good enough to PG Stu Vetter's team is good enough for my Zips! He has probably sent more players to D-1 than any HS coach in America.

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Nice to meet up with GT again at the JAR today and see that he got the same story I saw developing on the court. After watching Melo working out, I was struck by the fact that he does not look like a freshman. He looks to be ready to contribute from day one. His game is a little different from Rico's, but at a similar high level.

Melo clears up one of the biggest problems the Zips had last season -- one true PG on the roster. As good as Rico is, he left a big void on the floor whenever he subbed out. Melo appears ready to fill the void. D.J. Cooper is a heck of a player, and it's tough to guard him without drawing fouls. Look for Rico and Melo to take turns guarding Cooper this season, which will take some of the pressure off of Rico trying to guard Cooper without fouling out.