Zips in the MLS

It's becoming such a common occurrence in the MLS for former Zips to do something newsworthy that it might be easier to put them in one mega-thread.To start it off, here's Ben Zemanski's long-range goal from last night. I guess he wasn't satisfied with letting Nagbe have all the facetime on Sportscenter's Top 10.

It's becoming such a common occurrence in the MLS for former Zips to do something newsworthy that it might be easier to put them in one mega-thread.To start it off, here's Ben Zemanski's long-range goal from last night. I guess he wasn't satisfied with letting Nagbe have all the facetime on Sportscenter's Top 10.
Impressive strike!

As the L.A. Times wrote, fans just awoke from their slumber in time for two Chivas goals. I missed all but the end of this game, but I have a pretty good idea how it went, as Robin Fraser's team has been lackluster for the past three weeks. But apparently, San Jose met and exceeded their lusterlessness. I've rarely seen a player have a wider lane to shoot through than Ben Zemanski. But kudos for taking advantage! Now let's get a streak going. Blair Gavin started for CDCUSA. Didn't see Ampai, did he play for the Earthquake?

As the L.A. Times wrote, fans just awoke from their slumber in time for two Chivas goals. I missed all but the end of this game, but I have a pretty good idea how it went, as Robin Fraser's team has been lackluster for the past three weeks. But apparently, San Jose met and exceeded their lusterlessness. I've rarely seen a player have a wider lane to shoot through than Ben Zemanski. But kudos for taking advantage! Now let's get a streak going. Blair Gavin started for CDCUSA. Didn't see Ampai, did he play for the Earthquake?
Apparently not. Hope it's nothing major.

Something funny going on -- he's not listed as a sub, including DNP category for any of the (3) box scores I saw for this one. Assume he must have gone on IR, but it's not reported on SJEarthquakes.com (admittedly a poor site by a crummy administration) as having sustained an injury. I think he played 90 in the previous game vs NYRB played at Stanford U before >40,000. Anybody back there heard anything about our Tony?

Something funny going on -- he's not listed as a sub, including DNP category for any of the (3) box scores I saw for this one. Assume he must have gone on IR, but it's not reported on SJEarthquakes.com (admittedly a poor site by a crummy administration) as having sustained an injury. I think he played 90 in the previous game vs NYRB played at Stanford U before >40,000. Anybody back there heard anything about our Tony?
Maybe he was sick from too many root beer floats

Ampai tweeted this on June 27th, but he never followed up...AnthonyAmpai Anthony AmpaiMRI today on my knee kind of nervous but it feels fine. Update coming soon ...27 JunEDIT: Not on this list, which is a good sign I think.

Ampai Starting tonight (root beer float night ;)) according to SJ Eartquakes tweet...SJEarthquakes San Jose Earthquakes#SJEarthquakes Lineup: Busch, Leitch, Hernandez, Burling, Corrales, Ampaipitakwong, Ring, Stephenson, Johnson, Dawkins, Wondolowski31 minutes ago

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately Ampai didn't play in last Saturday's game in Columbus, but it was great talking to him after the game...what a classy guy!From twitter...AnthonyAmpaiBeen great Ohio ... But time to get back to work on the west17 JulAnthonyAmpaiGreat seeing some familiar faces from the Zips family ... Thank you for the support16 JulAnthonyAmpaiOne more stop and I'm back in the great state of Ohio. Great times and memories14 JulEdit: I'm looking forward to seeing Darlington this Saturday. I hope the weather cooperates.

Not many saw it, including the usual small CD Chivas USA crowd at HDC, but Blair Gavin got an assist on Justin Braun's second goal in his Saturday hat trick performance against the Houston Dynamo.

Other than Braun, the POG would have been 'Z' Valentin, who is really coming into his own. The commentator (might have been John Harkes) mentioned that he is getting attention from the USMNT, and could be called up for by Bob Bradley for his first cap this year (Hey- he's still 19!). Kofie Sarkodie started and was lacklustre for Houston, but the Dynamo performance was as week as any I've seen in MLS this season. I didn't see Ben Zemanski anywhere, and he is not listed even among unused subs in the box! Injury??

Not many saw it, including the usual small CD Chivas USA crowd at HDC, but Blair Gavin got an assist on Justin Braun's second goal in his Saturday hat trick performance against the Houston Dynamo.

Other than Braun, the POG would have been 'Z' Valentin, who is really coming into his own. The commentator (might have been John Harkes) mentioned that he is getting attention from the USMNT, and could be called up for by Bob Bradley for his first cap this year (Hey- he's still 19!). Kofie Sarkodie started and was lacklustre for Houston, but the Dynamo performance was as week as any I've seen in MLS this season. I didn't see Ben Zemanski anywhere, and he is not listed even among unused subs in the box! Injury??

Yeah Benny was injured for this game, nothing serious I don't think. Trust me, when I saw that not only did he not play, but he was not on the roster, I frantically searched the internet looking for an injury.

As far as Zarek goes, if he keeps playing well maybe we have a good shot of seeing him on the Olympic squad next year! Remember, it's U-23 with three overage players allowed, so he definitely has a shot at it.

Although not part of MLS yet, Montreal adds ex-Zip defender Cameron Knowles to the roster, joining Evan Bush there. Maybe this will help the Impact get out of their season long funk (although scoring goals has been the big issue, with Evan playing pretty well since pressed into service due to an injury to former starting keeper Bill Gaudette).

Although not part of MLS yet, Montreal adds ex-Zip defender Cameron Knowles to the roster, joining Evan Bush there. Maybe this will help the Impact get out of their season long funk (although scoring goals has been the big issue, with Evan playing pretty well since pressed into service due to an injury to former starting keeper Bill Gaudette).

Add Sinisa Ubiparipovic to the growing list of ex-Zips on the Impact's roster.

Add Sinisa Ubiparipovic to the growing list of ex-Zips on the Impact's roster.

I like DeSantis' quote:

He already knows several players so I don’t think he will have trouble fitting in the team.

I keep waiting for someone to comment on Nagbe's PERFECT assist during Timbers over Galaxy. :rock:

You just did. B) And, you're right...perfect speed and direction. Actually, it was a very nice series of passes between Darlington and Chabala to set up Chabala's score. Also, you had to love, or at least I did, Portland crushing the Galaxy 3-0 in front of their awesome home crowd (2nd only to the Sounders faithful)...Galaxy's first loss since May 1, I believe.

I keep waiting for someone to comment on Nagbe's PERFECT assist during Timbers over Galaxy. :rock:

You just did. B) And, you're right...perfect speed and direction. Actually, it was a very nice series of passes between Darlington and Chabala to set up Chabala's score. Also, you had to love, or at least I did, Portland crushing the Galaxy 3-0 in front of their awesome home crowd (2nd only to the Sounders faithful)...Galaxy's first loss since May 1, I believe.

I just gotta love ANY time the Galaxy lose! Yeah, baby. Go FCDallas tomorrow -- two-in-a-row?? :wave:

• 3 weeks later...

Also, in MLS play, Chivas USA plays Real Salt Lake Saturday evening in LA -- game televised on Fox Soccer Channel (1030 EST, I believe). Huge game for both teams as they battle for playoff spots that neither team is guaranteed. RSL especially has been on the rocks of late. Chivas desparately needs three points to keep their hopes alive. Robin Fraser continues juggling lineup -- Ben Zemanski returned last game @ Portland, with Gavin coming off the bench. Zarek Valentin should make the start again.

Nice comment from Steve Zakuani on his twitter page tonight:

stevezakuani11 Steve Zakuani

Seattle wins 6-2 and Akron wins 5-0... perfect day of football! #GoSounders #GoZips

(BTW...the 6-2 Seattle win was against the Cowlumbus Crew)

Sinisa with a brace and Bush with another clean sheet pace the Montreal Impact to a key 2-0 victory over Minnesota Saturday night. Cameron Knowles also played (the full 90) at defense for Les Zipes.......err.......the Impact.

my hopes are high that Montreal keeps them both when they join the MLS