Canada Game Updates

dboze

Nikola doesn't get any minutes in the championship game of Universiade 2011, but he DOES get a GOLD MEDAL. Congrats, Nik!!

Wonder if Nikola is hurt. All the other Serbia players got in the game. The score indicates

that Serbia put the Canucks away in the second half. 68-55 Serbia wins.

There were a few other games with similar box scores. And I'm sure he played just a few days ago. This is NOT a knock on Nik, but he was clearly the 11th or 12th roster spot on this squad.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nikola doesn't get any minutes in the championship game of Universiade 2011, but he DOES get a GOLD MEDAL. Congrats, Nik!!

Wonder if Nikola is hurt. All the other Serbia players got in the game. The score indicates

that Serbia put the Canucks away in the second half. 68-55 Serbia wins.

There were a few other games with similar box scores. And I'm sure he played just a few days ago. This is NOT a knock on Nik, but he was clearly the 11th or 12th roster spot on this squad.

I'm just happy he was able to practice though during this "offseason" while the rest of his team was in Canada. I feel the only way it could of worked better for Nik, was more game playing time...

With the win, Serbia is the two-time world champion in this event. They also made it to the finals in 2007 but lost to Lithuania. They have an extraordinarily talented and well-coached team. Many of the players on Serbia's team are professionals in Europe that also happen to attend a university. That Nik was even chosen to be on the team is impressive.

Nik not playing much is unfortunate, but I would rather him play for a championship team than one that was knocked out in the first round limiting his practice time. He is training with great players every day and is getting some top-notch coaching. This should also help him when it comes time to play professionally.

With the win, Serbia is the two-time world champion in this event. They also made it to the finals in 2007 but lost to Lithuania. They have an extraordinarily talented and well-coached team. Many of the players on Serbia's team are professionals in Europe that also happen to attend a university. That Nik was even chosen to be on the team is impressive.

Nik not playing much is unfortunate, but I would rather him play for a championship team than one that was knocked out in the first round limiting his practice time. He is training with great players every day and is getting some top-notch coaching. This should also help him when it comes time to play professionally.

And he's a gold medal winner at a relatively significant international event. I'm sure he'll be proud of that for the rest of his life, as well he should :bow:

BTW, THIS was the US Men's roster at these games.

I don't think it's unfair to say that the Serb is not a superstar. But being selected to a powerhouse Serbian national team largely stocked with professional players shows that he has good potential to play pro ball somewhere. This has to be really good for his self-confidence. I think we can expect to see him raise the bar another notch for the Zips this season.

• 2 years later...

Interesting fact about this season's Wisconsin team is that their coach credits the team's preseason Canadian tour for helping get the team to the Final Four. In particular a loss to the same Carleton University the Zips played caused the coach to change his team's playing style to an uptempo pace that has them two games away from winning the national championship.