NCAA To Adopt New Rules

GP1

Link to blog that links.

I don't remember a time in my life when John Steigerwald was not involved in the Pittsburgh media. Always a good read and interesting, in your face opinions (Hint...that's how you stay in the media for as long as he has). I agree with his idea on what should happen to the ncaa....it should go away. College athletics will get along just fine without it. There were college athletics before the ncaa and there will be college athletics without the ncaa. There were bowl games before the ncaa and there will be bowl games after the ncaa. There was a national championship in basketball before the ncaa and there will be one after (it might even be better). There was corruption before the ncaa and there is corruption with the ncaa, and that will all exist after the ncaa. Universities will find ways to play one another in sports without the ncaa and their encyclopedia of rules that nobody could possibly follow to the letter because they can't possible know every rule.

So, the ncaa is going to reform. An do what? Instead of getting mad when a big name school breaks a rule, they are going to get REALLY mad. Then if they do it again they will get REALLY, REALLY mad. The ncaa is an ineffective, over bloated bureaucracy so they are going to have more rules and make it an even bigger ineffective, over bloated bureaucracy. More forms and rules is not what we need. It's just silly at this point.

If you are a Zips fan, you should want the ncaa to go away. Why? Because the ncaa is only looking out for the BCS level schools at the expense of the non-bcs schools. It would be the best thing to ever happen to us. Right now, we are on the Titanic and it is going down. We have a chance to get on a lifeboat or wait for help to come sailing by in the form of new ncaa rules. Who wants to stay on the boat and who wants to get in the lifeboat with me (I stole a bottle of booze from the mini-bar. Men who cannot balance themselves while peeing over the side of a boat need not apply)?

..... I stole a bottle of booze from the mini-bar. .....

Typical. You keep the booze for yourself and share nothing with the rest of us but words. ;)

This must be how GP1 maintains His greatness.

Actually, I maintain my greatness through a regular diet of Labatt Blue and hot dogs.

I appreciate anyone who admits their greatness derives from beer and hot dogs. With much practice, one can also achieve greatness without the hot dogs. But the beer is mandatory. No question that yeast causes one's IQ to rise.

I do more thinking when I'm drinking.

I appreciate anyone who admits their greatness derives from beer and hot dogs. With much practice, one can also achieve greatness without the hot dogs. But the beer is mandatory. No question that yeast causes one's IQ to rise.

I think Rodin's The Thinker has a beer in his hand. Was GP1 a model for this?

I think Rodin's The Thinker has a beer in his hand. Was GP1 a model for this?

Not muscular enough.

PBR or Red White and Blue are what real men drink.

I do drink red, white and blue. The Labatt Blue packaging has a blue background, white lettering and a red maple leaf.

Canadian ehhhh?

I like Canada. Some of the things they do there make it almost like another country.

PBR or Red White and Blue are what real men drink.

I do drink red, white and blue. The Labatt Blue packaging has a blue background, white lettering and a red maple leaf.

Canadian ehhhh?

I like Canada. Some of the things they do there make it almost like another country.

Yea...Canada has one big advantage to the US. No wet-backs driving the economy into the ditch and sucking up resources of hard working people. And they make some good beer. Hockey is good too.

No wet-backs driving the economy into the ditch and sucking up resources of hard working people.

If you are trying to be funny, this isn't funny.

I assume you are talking about Mexicans. I work in the construction industry. If it wasn't for the Mexicans, nothing would get done. There are basically three type of people working on a job site: whites, blacks and Mexicans. Let's say there is a reroofing project on a home. This is how it goes down with these three groups and then you will understand why Mexicans are on every job site. I was told this by a guy who is president of a roofing company in Charleston so everyone knows where it is coming from.

The white guy shows up hungover, turns his boom box up as loud as it will go and uses profanity every other word. At the end of the day, he asks for an advance on his pay so he can go get drunk again. The white guy is bad for business because the housewife who had to listen to the boom box and profanity all day tells the owner and all of her neighbors about what happened. The black guy drinks like the white guy only instead of the boom box and profanity, he spends half of his day arguing with his boss about everything under the sun as if a job site is a civil rights debate. He's bad for business too because he only does half a days work and gets paid for a full day. The Mexican guy shows up for work on time, keeps his mouth shut and does his job well as hard and as fast as he can until the job is done. No boom box, he might be using profanity, but nobody would understand it because they don't speak English and they don't talk to each other because they are too busy working. At the end of the day, he goes home to his wife and kid and shows up for work on time again the next morning without a hangover. Accepts he gets paid on a certain day and doesn't ask for advances.

We are lucky to have Mexicans here. The immigrant groups in this country know more about what the American dream is than the groups who have been here a long time. We have become a lazy and entitled society. If you are worried about people sucking up resources, you should worry about the legions of white Baby Boomers who have not saved a dime for retirement and will be asking the government to suport them as they get old. They will become a huge voting block and will get everything they ask for like they have their entire spoiled and entitled lives. The Boomers could not, nor would they do what the Mexicans do.

No wet-backs driving the economy into the ditch and sucking up resources of hard working people.

If you are trying to be funny, this isn't funny.

I assume you are talking about Mexicans. I work in the construction industry. If it wasn't for the Mexicans, nothing would get done. There are basically three type of people working on a job site: whites, blacks and Mexicans. Let's say there is a reroofing project on a home. This is how it goes down with these three groups and then you will understand why Mexicans are on every job site. I was told this by a guy who is president of a roofing company in Charleston so everyone knows where it is coming from.

The white guy shows up hungover, turns his boom box up as loud as it will go and uses profanity every other word. At the end of the day, he asks for an advance on his pay so he can go get drunk again. The white guy is bad for business because the housewife who had to listen to the boom box and profanity all day tells the owner and all of her neighbors about what happened. The black guy drinks like the white guy only instead of the boom box and profanity, he spends half of his day arguing with his boss about everything under the sun as if a job site is a civil rights debate. He's bad for business too because he only does half a days work and gets paid for a full day. The Mexican guy shows up for work on time, keeps his mouth shut and does his job well as hard and as fast as he can until the job is done. No boom box, he might be using profanity, but nobody would understand it because they don't speak English and they don't talk to each other because they are too busy working. At the end of the day, he goes home to his wife and kid and shows up for work on time again the next morning without a hangover. Accepts he gets paid on a certain day and doesn't ask for advances.

We are lucky to have Mexicans here. The immigrant groups in this country know more about what the American dream is than the groups who have been here a long time. We have become a lazy and entitled society. If you are worried about people sucking up resources, you should worry about the legions of white Baby Boomers who have not saved a dime for retirement and will be asking the government to suport them as they get old. They will become a huge voting block and will get everything they ask for like they have their entire spoiled and entitled lives. The Boomers could not, nor would they do what the Mexicans do.

Wet-back = illegal immigrants. 15% of all in-state college students in the California system are illegal immigrants (estimated 125M in state subsidies...not including any Federal subsidies). My company tried to terminate an illegal worker because we found out there were discrepancies with his documentation...we gave him 30 days to correct the I9 documents. Because...you can't fire someone because they are illegal....the government recommends terminating them because they lied on their application. So...that is what we did. 2 days prior to the deadline he just disappeared. But he filed for unemployment and was awarded it in CA. We appealed on 2 counts...1. he left voluntarily without notice and 2. he was an illegal undocumented worker. We lost the appeal. We lost the second and final appeal and the guy is still collecting unemployment benefits. So don't get holier than though with me...just read my posts and get the facts when you want to debate. I employee 5 people in Indonesia, 5 people in South America and the guy who runs my California business is a native Costa Rican (who I consider a close friend). Immigrants are what makes this country great. But I reserve the right to say who can sleep in my house and who can eat from my table. I think the US should have the same right.

Sounds like you are a bit of bigoted racist. I know many of good Black and Hispanic workers and many good and bad White workers. But color and creed are meaningless. My wife is a Balinese Hindu, my ex-wife Catholic and some of my best friends Jewish.

The end.

My company tried to terminate an illegal worker because we found out there were discrepancies with his documentation

Not everything is about you and what happens to you.

I realize there are good and bad employees with every group. I also know that every job site I go to the Mexicans are working their asses off, and they are good at what they do. They do the work that Americans won't even apply for a job to do.

If we have a group of people in this country who have come here and are working hard, why would we want to deny their children a college education if they can get into college? Many of those children are Americans because they were born here...are we going to deny American citizens a college education because of their parents? I'm the racist? These kids see their parents working hard every day. That's how a work ethic starts. In a few years, the children of these illegals will be working circles around the groups of Americans who have been here for a long time.

Blaming a "different" group was popular in Germany at one time too. Remember the Nazis and their obsession with Jews? All the Jews in Germany were doing was out-working the non-Jews and they became successful during difficult economic times in Germany, so the Germans got upset and blamed them for their problems. Sound similar to the "wet-backs"?

Even if we're not outright racist, we all have our share of at least mild prejudices and tend to believe at least some degree of stereotyping about various people and things.

One interesting point in this discussion is GP1's firsthand observation about Mexicans generally being hard workers in the construction industry, and thinking that many of them have familes they're trying to support.

This, of course, debunks the old stereotype about Mexicans being "lazy." And while most of us may be strongly against having so many illegal aliens in the country, Americans have a hard time not admiring men who work hard to provide for their wives and children. That's part of the American dream for most immigrants and their descendants, whether legal or illegal.

Article

Getting back to the foolishness of the ncaa. Everyday Should Be Saturday has been running regular pieces on the stupidity that is the ncaa handbook. My favorite quote, "The ncaa is the world's worst homeowner's association." The ncaa needs to be eliminated.

• 6 years later...

More NCAA shenanigans

Among those arrested were Lamont Evans, an associate coach of Oklahoma State University, Chuck Person, an associate coach of Auburn University, Emanuel "Book" Richardson, an assistant coach of the University of Arizona, and Tony Bland, an associate coach of the University of Southern California.

Edited by Sergeant Zip