Scholarship Chart

This is a valuable chart to have pinned for quick and frequent consultation!

Interesting that Walsh is listed as a sophomore on the roster but refers to himself as a junior. Academically, it makes sense that he's a junior based on the following:

In 2008-2009 he redshirted his freshman season at Xavier and didn't play after breaking his hand (he did appear in a couple of games before the injury).

In 2009-2010 he played for Xavier for the full season.

In 2010-2011 he sat out the season after transferring to UA.

So he's already spent three years in school but has played only one season.

The NCAA's "Five-Year Clock" rule states:

In Division I, the first time you enroll in any two-year or four-year school as a full-time student, you start your five-year period of eligibility. You have five-calendar years from initial collegiate enrollment to play four seasons of competition — even if you are not enrolled in school at all or attend school part-time within that time frame.

So, technically, his five-year period of eligibility should be completed at the end of the 2012-2013 season.

But could he petition for an extra year of eligibility for having redshirted in 2008-2009 due to an injury? If so, then I believe he could play for the Zips until the end of the 2013-2014 season, which would effectively make him a sophomore player this season rather than a junior.

Or, maybe he meant he's a junior academically. Shrug. ;) I guess we'll have to wait for the official word from GoZips.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Updated since the 2011 Summer Prospectus spells out that Brian Walsh apparently will have 3 to play for the Zips. B) B) B) Go Zips!
I'm pretty sure I just heard KD say on ZipsLive that the following individuals would be graduating NEXT year:1) Zeke2) Quincy3) Chauncey Gilliam4) Brian WalshSo Walsh must only have 2 years left if I heard him correctly.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm pretty sure I just heard KD say on ZipsLive that the following individuals would be graduating NEXT year:1) Zeke2) Quincy3) Chauncey Gilliam4) Brian WalshSo Walsh must only have 2 years left if I heard him correctly.
I believe Bardo and McNees graduated before their Senior seasons? Graduation doesn't always mean your eligibility has expired.

I believe Bardo and McNees graduated before their Senior seasons? Graduation doesn't always mean your eligibility has expired.
Good point.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm pretty sure I just heard KD say on ZipsLive that the following individuals would be graduating NEXT year:

1) Zeke

2) Quincy

3) Chauncey Gilliam

4) Brian Walsh

So Walsh must only have 2 years left if I heard him correctly.

Good point.

Our women's all-time leading scorer, Cheryl ("Swoopes") _______ -- damn, I wish I weren't fighting dementia -- managed to get a Masters Degree before her eligibility ran out. Let's hope Brian is so inclined. He looked good in his limited minutes in Starkesville.

edit: Cheryl Bowles! Masters in Physical Rehab. What's my name again?

I'm pretty sure I just heard KD say on ZipsLive that the following individuals would be graduating NEXT year:

1) Zeke

2) Quincy

3) Chauncey Gilliam

4) Brian Walsh

Good point.

Our women's all-time leading scorer, Cheryl ("Swoopes") _______ -- damn, I wish I weren't fighting dementia -- managed to get a Masters Degree before her eligibility ran out. Let's hope Brian is so inclined. He looked good in his limited minutes in Starkesville.

edit: Cheryl Bowles! Masters in Physical Rehab. What's my name again?

Z.I.P. I'm disappointed. Our all-time leading women's scorer is now Kara Murphy.

1) Zeke

2) Quincy

3) Chauncey Gilliam

4) Brian Walsh

Actually, didn't Nik graduate last year?

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Updated today to reflect the announcement that BJ Gladden has committed to the Zips.

Also showing Walsh as a Senior for now based on varied reports that this is the case.

Forsythe shown as a Freshmen, since the NCAA ruling on whether or not he can play this season shouldn't affect his ability to get the lost year back from his injury shortened season at WVU.

Saw something where Egner got a medical redshirt .. haven't heard or seen anything about Ibitayo. Per the general rules, he may be eligible. For now he is shown as a Sophomore .. I guess he could be a Freshmen.

Hope everyone is well and thriving.

Go Zips.

Updated today to reflect the announcement that BJ Gladden has committed to the Zips.

Also showing Walsh as a Senior for now based on varied reports that this is the case.

Forsythe shown as a Freshmen, since the NCAA ruling on whether or not he can play this season shouldn't affect his ability to get the lost year back from his injury shortened season at WVU.

Saw something where Egner got a medical redshirt .. haven't heard or seen anything about Ibitayo. Per the general rules, he may be eligible. For now he is shown as a Sophomore .. I guess he could be a Freshmen.

Hope everyone is well and thriving.

Go Zips.

Hey Watcher...

Where you been, man? Haven't seen you post for quite a while.

Good to "see" you, dude! :wave:

'82

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Assuming Abreu does not return, there are now five scholarships open for next season, and five players coming in. The question comes from whether Pat Forsythe will get a scholarship next season or if Quincy Diggs chooses to return, although an outgoing transfer would solve one of those issues.