Scholarship Chart

Locks (6) - Treadwell, Harney, Betancourt, Kretzer, McAdams, Forsythe

I'm going to assume Abreu is gone, so that leaves 7 scholarships.

Quincy Diggs

Deji Ibitayo

Blake Justice

Nyles Evans

BJ Gladden

Aaron Jackson

Isaiah Johnson

Kwan Cheatham

I believe Quincy will be back. His off-court issue is settled and in the past and he's had no issues since. He'd also alleviate the loss of Abreu. Deji and Blake are transfer candidates. Deji got some PT, but you have to wonder about his long-term future here. Blake seems more likely given his lack of PT. I cannot imagine pulling a scholarship from the four new guys or Evans. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

If Q or Abreu comes back we need one of our current scholarship players to transfer out. Most likely candidate is Blake Justice who saw no playing time this year (if you watched him walk up to the table to receive his trophy last night you saw a player who looked like he was on his way out). If by some extreme stroke of luck BOTH Q and Abreu make it back we need two to transfer out. I'm not sure who would leave in that scenario. Maybe Deji? I suppose it is also possible that one or both of those two guys pays their own way to try to make up for their past transgressions?

My best guess on next years roster (complete shot in the dark, no inside information here):

Seniors:

SG - Quincy Diggs

Juniors:

PG - Nyles Evans

SG - Deji Ibitayo

SF/PF - Nick Harney

PF - Demetrius Treadwell

Sophomores:

PG - Carmelo Betancourt

SG - Reggie McAdams

SF - Jake Kretzer

C - Pat Forsythe

Freshmen:

SG - Aaron Jackson

SF - B.J. Gladden

PF - Kwan Cheatham

C - Isaiah Johnson

So is anyone hearing any news on Q and how likely he will return?

I've talked to Q several times in the past month. He's VERY confident in his chances of returning.

Of course it's not in his hands, but he is a motivated guy who still supports his teammates and is working hard basketball wise and otherwise to get back. You gotta take that as a great sign.

I've talked to Q several times in the past month. He's VERY confident in his chances of returning.

Of course it's not in his hands, but he is a motivated guy who still supports his teammates and is working hard basketball wise and otherwise to get back. You gotta take that as a great sign.

I think we have to be considered one of, if not the favorite to repeat in the MAC next year even without Q. With Q I think we are definitely the favorite. With Q and Alex I'm not sure who else would even be in the conversation. Of course that last scenario seems pretty improbable at this point.

Great to hear that Q wants to return and is working towards it. Let's hope he's learned something from his domestic incident and that the University gestapo, student board see's the error in their ways.

I think we have to be considered one of, if not the favorite to repeat in the MAC next year even without Q. With Q I think we are definitely the favorite. With Q and Alex I'm not sure who else would even be in the conversation. Of course that last scenario seems pretty improbable at this point.

Great to hear that Q wants to return and is working towards it. Let's hope he's learned something from his domestic incident and that the University gestapo, student board see's the error in their ways.

I'm not sure who else would even be in the conversation with us. With or without Q.

I'm not sure who else would even be in the conversation with us. With or without Q.

Buffalo has the likely preseason player of the year and a roster of young talent. If they put a good coach in place they will be a threat. Toledo has to start to be in the conversation in the next couple of years. Can't and Ohio will have to replace some key pieces, but so will we (Zeke being the biggest).

• 4 months later...
I saw on facebook that Blake Justice mentioned how at Valdosta State, #14 is retired. Was asking what number he should take. So that means we can take Blake Justice off the chart. He's going to Valdosta State.

Looking at the scholarship chart, we need to add Nyles Evans.

With the departure of Blake Justice, that will give us two scholarships to award next year.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Zip Watcher, when you go back to edit the chart after it becomes official which of the 14 players listed will be getting the 13 scholarships, the out-of-date words accompanying the chart could also stand a little updating. :)

For those who can't get enough Zips basketball player charts, the one on VerbalCommits is worth bookmarking. It not only keeps track of all the current players, but also those who've transferred and those being recruited. It's not perfect, as it shows Jonas Stalyga as a scholarship player currently enrolled when he was actually a walk-on who is currently a walk-off. But most of the other info is pretty accurate. If you put your cursor over a player's name, details pop up.

One interesting point is the composite star rating for each player. We all know the star ratings are sometimes wildly inaccurate. For example, they show Tree and Luke Avsec both as 2-star players. In fact, 2-star appears to be the lowest rating given to any player, and all but 3 Zips show up with 2-star ratings out of HS. The highest rated Zip out of HS is Reggie with 3 stars, followed by Pat with 2.7 and BJ with 2.3.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Emmanuel Olojakapoke is 6'8" and Peter Agba is 6'7".

I do agree we need to be looking at a 5 to fill Pat's shoes after graduation.

I've gotten used to having 7'0" Zeke, 6'11" Pat & 6'10" 300 lb. Big Dog.

I haven't thought of that until now. By not addressing it this year, I take it the staff sees Big Dog able to hold down the starting spot for a season. I hope they're right. Regardless, its an absolute need in the next recruiting class.

• Like 1

Don't forget that many of these HS kids are still growing and it's still possible for one or more of the new recruits to grow into the 6-9/6-10 range. Whether or not that happens, a recruit in that height range will likely be a target in the next recruiting class. But as we saw with Tree, heart can help compensate for lack of height when it comes to rebounding and scoring in the paint. Having a center in the 6-8 range with above average strength, leaping ability and speed can be pretty effective.

Don't forget that many of these HS kids are still growing and it's still possible for one or more of the new recruits to grow into the 6-9/6-10 range. Whether or not that happens, a recruit in that height range will likely be a target in the next recruiting class. But as we saw with Tree, heart can help compensate for lack of height when it comes to rebounding and scoring in the paint. Having a center in the 6-8 range with above average strength, leaping ability and speed can be pretty effective.

This is an excellent point. you can add at least one inch to the three Nigerian kids

and two inches to one or two of them.

Something seldom mentioned is a point that the coaches follow closely. That is, wingspan.

All three of the Nigerian kids have a wingspan of at least SEVEN feet. This is harbanger

of future vertical growth. Long arms and long bodies.

The coaches are professionals. They know what to look for. BTW, Jordan Davis also has

a wingspan greater than seven feet. Bet ya didn't know that.

Observation from the other day: open gym, one sophomore point guard has an incredible

vision of the floor. He can really dish the dimes.

Another freebie: these kids are unselfish and know how to score in the paint and on the arc.

It is going to be a fun couple of years.

Effective against the MAC, yes. Against top tier teams? Not so much.

• 3 months later...