Scholarship Chart

9 minutes ago, Zip Watcher said:

Graphic in original post is updated per the recent changes.  Some are not official, but it seems to be complete.  I'll revise if the GoZips releases don't match up.

Go Zips!

As I understood it, Deng Riak already took a redshirt year and will only have two years of eligibility with the Zips. Am I incorrect?

Good observation.

At the moment, I understand that his first season would be considered a medical redshirt year, since it was under the limit of games and time played for that consideration.

So he ought to be able to play 3 here.  I'll tweak once the official roster has the new guys on it.

1 hour ago, Zip Watcher said:

Good observation.

At the moment, I understand that his first season would be considered a medical redshirt year, since it was under the limit of games and time played for that consideration.

So he ought to be able to play 3 here.  I'll tweak once the official roster has the new guys on it.

Played in 8 games as a freshman.  Can you do that and still get an extra "medical" year?  Not sure.  http://www.ecupirates.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4956

Edited by Z.I.P.

18 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

Played in 8 games as a freshman.  Can you do that and still get an extra "medical" year? 

Carson Cherry Oct 17, 2016

Last season the East Carolina’s men’s basketball team lacked depth in the front court, mostly due to an injury to Deng Riak suffered in the Pirates’ eighth game of the season.

“We love that we have Deng Riak, who had to take a medical redshirt last year, back into the mix,” said head coach Jeff Lebo.

If that scholarship chart is correct we will have eight seniors complete their eligibility in the same season. That creates another big time rebuild situation down the road. Probably too early to worry about that now but I still found that interesting.

Technically isn't Ivey a "Senior" this year, and next year he would be a 5th year Senior as long as academics are in order?  I think he did the Tree/Harney route of attending the U for a year to get grades in order before his first year of playing as a sophomore.

• 1 month later...

@ZipWatcher, you can add SG LePear Toles.  I believe LePear will be playing JUCO ball this year, then coming in next year as a sophomore.  

We're pretty log-jammed with this current freshman class.  If I'm not mistaken, next season we're gonna have EIGHT sophomores??

Edited by Blue & Gold

• 1 month later...

What are we going to do next year when we have SIX players listed as sophomores?  We've got to redshirt a couple guys who are playing this year to spread those scholarships out a bit, no?  We can't have six seniors in another 3 years.

2018-19 sophomores:

1. Torrey Patton

2. Virshon Cotton

3. LePear Toles

4. Eric Parrish

5. Jaden Sayles

6. Mark Kostelac

56 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

What are we going to do next year when we have SIX players listed as sophomores?  We've got to redshirt a couple guys who are playing this year to spread those scholarships out a bit, no?  We can't have six seniors in another 3 years.

2018-19 sophomores:

1. Torrey Patton

2. Virshon Cotton

3. LePear Toles

4. Eric Parrish

5. Jaden Sayles

6. Mark Kostelac

When was the last time everyone in a class made it 4 years without transferring?

59 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

2018-19 sophomores:

1. Torrey Patton

2. Virshon Cotton

3. LePear Toles

4. Eric Parrish

5. Jaden Sayles

6. Mark Kostelac

What will Jackson, Riak, and Lester be listed as??? I would guess at least another 1 of them will be RSophs as I remember all of them being younger.

35 minutes ago, LZIp said:

What will Jackson, Riak, and Lester be listed as??? I would guess at least another 1 of them will be RSophs as I remember all of them being younger.

From what I have seen, Lester and Jackson will both be RS Sophmores next season. Riak will be a RS Junior. We will have 8 players expected to be seniors in the 20-21 season.

Edited by UAZippers

On 11/14/2017 at 7:24 AM, Blue & Gold said:

2018-19 sophomores:

1. Torrey Patton

2. Virshon Cotton

3. LePear Toles

4. Eric Parrish

5. Jaden Sayles

6. Mark Kostelac

I agree with Zippy5 that attrition is likely. Groce usually will commit to 2 years initially and after a player proves himself he will be rewarded the full 4 year ride. I doubt that is an official policy, but it's what I have observed. Obviously, off the court issues could factor into this and something I am not used to seeing is guys being poached by bigger programs. That has to be frustrating to coaches and fans alike.

After watching only 2 games the guy on this list who has me concerned is Virshon Cotton. And that's only because I know what Groce needs out of a point guard. He might want to tie that hair up for starters. Time will tell for all of these guys.

• Like 2

On 8/19/2011 at 12:38 PM, Zip Watcher said:

Scholies_15NOV15.jpg

Notes:

- Updated with current status as understood as of 25 August 2017. Addition of Cotton, and tweak to Riak (sit one, play 2).

Hey Zip Watcher,

I take it you are the keeper of the Scholarship Chart. I thought I would just share with you what the guys at the Illinois chat site have going. It's the same info, just a different approach for you to consider. And finally a question, shouldn't LePear Toles be on there?

Thanks.

http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=23849&page=5

23 hours ago, Illini Zip said:

I agree with Zippy5 that attrition is likely. Groce usually will commit to 2 years initially and after a player proves himself he will be rewarded the full 4 year ride. I doubt that is an official policy, but it's what I have observed. Obviously, off the court issues could factor into this and something I am not used to seeing is guys being poached by bigger programs. That has to be frustrating to coaches and fans alike.

After watching only 2 games the guy on this list who has me concerned is Virshon Cotton. And that's only because I know what Groce needs out of a point guard. He might want to tie that hair up for starters. Time will tell for all of these guys.

He looks so small on the floor. But he is 6'1"!!!!!

It's just that the other guys are bigger.

hopefully he is another Deji who comes alive at some point.

• 5 months later...