Scholarship Chart

I personally think if LCJ gets the opportunity to leave he will. While he may love Akron and may have bought into Groce's system he still has to look out for his own interests. If a better program comes knocking I expect him to jump ship. I definitely don't want him to leave, however, if I were in his position (academically or athletically) and a "superior" (for lack of better term) program offered me the same deal Akron is offering me with a chance to make more money or gain more exposure, as much as it may hurt, I would make the decision which is in my best interest. 

I guess the bigger question raised would be whether or not "superior" programs would ever consider giving a talented 5'8 PG a spot in their rotation. If the answer is yes I expect him to leave.  If the answer is no them I expect him to remain with the Zips.

14 minutes ago, AkronAlumnus said:

I personally think if LCJ gets the opportunity to leave he will. While he may love Akron and may have bought into Groce's system he still has to look out for his own interests. If a better program comes knocking I expect him to jump ship. I definitely don't want him to leave, however, if I were in his position (academically or athletically) and a "superior" (for lack of better term) program offered me the same deal Akron is offering me with a chance to make more money or gain more exposure, as much as it may hurt, I would make the decision which is in my best interest

I guess the bigger question raised would be whether or not "superior" programs would ever consider giving a talented 5'8 PG a spot in their rotation. If the answer is yes I expect him to leave.  If the answer is no them I expect him to remain with the Zips.

Are you saying some school is going to pay him to come play for them because he's certainly not going to make it in the NBA? If he wants to play in Europe of somewhere playing in Akron won't hinder him. We have tons of players overseas and they don't seem to care where you went to school. Players are paid based off how they perform.

If he's transferring it's probably because he either wants to go someplace that has a better grad program for what he wants to go to school for or because he wants to experience an NCAAT tournament run. Playing somewhere closer to home I guess would be another possibility. Personally, I have him penciled in an Akron uniform for next season because he has one year of eligibility remaining. I'll have him there until he says he no longer wants to be here. I can't begin to guess what's going through his head nor know what his priorities are.  

Edited by kreed5120

Not sure the po

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

My thoughts exactly.  From everything I have heard LCJ has bought in completely and become a leader on this team.  As such, I'd be shocked if he went anywhere.

Not sure the point if all this discussion other than we are all bored waiting for 9pm to come around.  I can only go on his words that he offered in post game interview with Frenchy in which he said he wants to take over his father's school when he leaves.  Sounds like he sees his future in coaching. Hes part of Groces leadership council.  If he wants to go that route hes in a good spot here.  He appeared to not get along with Ivey but didn't pout and leave because the coach made him share playing time with Jimond.  Hes a mature guy who can be the leader and star next year and bring along Tribble.  Eman and Utomi didn't fit in and no other decent program was going to take Ivey and his ego.

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

Not sure the point if all this discussion other than we are all bored waiting for 9pm to come around.  I can only go on his words that he offered in post game interview with Frenchy in which he said he wants to take over his father's school when he leaves.  Sounds like he sees his future in coaching. Hes part of Groces leadership council.  If he wants to go that route hes in a good spot here.

Your addition of the info about French's interview is "the point" of my raising the question.  Thanks/mahalo to all back in Akron for your i sight, as I get this info second and third hand.  I now have credibile news I was lacking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

Not sure the po

Not sure the point if all this discussion other than we are all bored waiting for 9pm to come around.  I can only go on his words that he offered in post game interview with Frenchy in which he said he wants to take over his father's school when he leaves.  Sounds like he sees his future in coaching. Hes part of Groces leadership council.  If he wants to go that route hes in a good spot here.  He appeared to not get along with Ivey but didn't pout and leave because the coach made him share playing time with Jimond.  Hes a mature guy who can be the leader and star next year and bring along Tribble.  Eman and Utomi didn't fit in and no other decent program was going to take Ivey and his ego.

Groce spoke last night on Zips Live about how he has become a leader on the team and how all of the kids look up to him (not literally of course).  I think that speaks to his commitment to the program.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

Speaking of Utomi he is coming off the bench at USC and averaging 5 points per game and playing 20 minutes.   Do you think transferring to USC has improved his chances of picking up a pro contract in Europe?

Is this rhetorical?  Id be hard pressed to say it’s enhanced his prospects - to say the least. 

11 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Is this rhetorical?  Id be hard pressed to say it’s enhanced his prospects - to say the least. 

No, just a comment on the discussion above about the possibility of Jackson transferring to a major program.  No guarentee that success at a mid major will lead to success at a higher level school for a player.  (might say the same thing about coaches)

Utomi was probably a good fit fit the Big Dog type, post-centric offense, where he could bomb away when the center got double-teamed. But could you imagine him fitting in with this team? I wouldn’t  want to forfeit any of Cheese or Bank’s minutes to him.

I wish him well. Great kid. But we’re a better team without him this year. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Utomi was probably a good fit fit the Big Dog type, post-centric offense, where he could bomb away when the center got double-teamed. But could you imagine him fitting in with this team? I wouldn’t  want to forfeit any of Cheese or Bank’s minutes to him.

I wish him well. Great kid. But we’re a better team without him this year. 

He scored 13 points and played 30 minutes against UCLA at Pauley Pavilion.  This was a great move for him.  

23 hours ago, NWAkron said:

He scored 13 points and played 30 minutes against UCLA at Pauley Pavilion.  This was a great move for him.  

I agree it was a good move for him, but not because he torched a bad UCLA team for 13 points. LCJ, Cheese or X would have put up 20 easily if the Zips played these Bruins.

Utomi is a nice 5ppg role player on a good Trojan team. They should make the Big Dance. 

One of those rare situations where both the player, and his former team, are both better off after the separation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was trying to snowbird for a few months down in Florida. It was a camping/apartment scouting mission and I really didn't want to give into this virus thing (even as I complied with social distancing and hand sanitizer). Eventually, Florida closed up everything including state parks and I had to move on. I thought maybe South Carolina would save my trip, but nope. That is where I was when asked for an updated Scholarship Grid. So I appreciate everyone's patience, but if I had my way you would be waiting for another month. Ha!!

Today I wake up to snow. Why, God, why?!!!!

• Haha 1

On 4/14/2020 at 5:40 PM, zippy5 said:

Seems a little late in the game to have two open schollies

I don't know if the usual timetable applies to the game we're in currently. The NCAA shut down recruiting for COVID-19. I actually think coming out of The Rona with 2 open schollies is ideal and could set us up perfectly to be an attractive landing spot when stuff opens back up. 

• Like 2