Scholarship Chart

10 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

The MAC should just ban Centers since there aren't enough to go around ?

Groce's tallest contributors on his Sweet Sixteen Ohio team were Baltic & Keely at 6'8". Meanwhile we had Zeke. 

Big guys are luxuries, not necessities. 

However, I'd really like someone in the 6'10" range. 

• Like 3

Teams are realizing it's better to have a 6'8 big that can run the floor and guard multiple positions than a 6'11 big who has cement legs. While we're at it maybe the MAC should ban point guards. Preston was probably the only true ball distributor in the MAC last season. All the others were pretty much either combo guards or 2 guards. As the game evolves the positions reinvent themselves. The center position as many of you know it from the 70s or 80s is slowly going extinct.

If someone is offering the Zips a good 6'10" post player, woohoo.  Sign 'em up!

The reality is that the game has changed and that the very few that meet that description are not coming to the MAC.  The statement that got us debating this a couple of years ago was something to the effect that the Zips needed more guys like Zeke and Big Dog.  Well. who couldn't use clones of two of the best players in their program's history?  I'm sure OSU would like to have more guys like Greg Oden and Clark Kellogg.  The other questionable side of the big man argument was the implication that capable big men were readily available and the the Zips were missing out on them.

It's a different game now.  Programs want guys who can get out and run and shoot the three.  If you'd have said the words "stretch 4" ten years ago you'd have received a blank stare.  In the MAC, you need talented players, whether they're 5'8" or 7'0". 

2 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Artis went to Jacksonville. I think we could have had a shot at him. ? 

Akron's done well with underappreciated HS ballplayers.  For example, here's the 1966 Little All-American men's basketball team.

Dick Barnett Tennessee State

Walt Frazier Southern Illinois 

Earl Monroe Winston Salem State

Phil Jackson North Dakota 

Bill Turner Akron

For those who don't know, four of these are in the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. 

Edited by Z.I.P.

2 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

Akron's done well with underappreciated HS ballplayers.  For example, here's the 1966 Little All-American men's basketball team.

Dick Barnett Tennessee State

Walt Frazier Southern Illinois 

Earl Monroe Winston Salem State

Phil Jackson North Dakota 

Bill Turner Akron

For those who don't know, four of these are in the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. 

Can any of them play football?

43 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Good point.

Speaking of Jaden, according to VerbalCommits dot com Jaden is transferring to Stony Brook.

Not all that surprising. I said on a post back in January or February that I felt Sayles would transfer because he's good enough to be a 25 minutes guy in a conference like the American East. Coincidentally that's exactly what conference he ended up going to.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

My thoughts exactly. Great job by Dustin and the Zips coaching staff for helping Jayden. Classy. 

Hard to say "classy" to describe Geno (What? Singletary didn't do anything) Ford or any former or current PCCC coach, so I will give all credit to Dustin.

Edited by NWAkron