Scholarship Chart

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, I heard Groce say on the air that Freeman has 3 more years of eligibility due to Covid. I have no reason to doubt him. So I guess that means Michael Wynn gets to play immediately and then still has 2 more years. What does that mean to the scholarship limit and the log jam with incoming freshman? I don't know if anyone really knows how this is going to play out next season and beyond. Until I get more concrete information about the general NCAA policy and specific Akron players I am putting the chart on hold. Please keep your ears open. Thanks.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/20/2020 at 3:52 AM, Illini Zip said:

Guys, I heard Groce say on the air that Freeman has 3 more years of eligibility due to Covid. I have no reason to doubt him. So I guess that means Michael Wynn gets to play immediately and then still has 2 more years. What does that mean to the scholarship limit and the log jam with incoming freshman? I don't know if anyone really knows how this is going to play out next season and beyond. Until I get more concrete information about the general NCAA policy and specific Akron players I am putting the chart on hold. Please keep your ears open. Thanks.

"https://www.ncsasports.org/coronavirus-sports/ncaa-eligibility-coronavirus"

I'm not familiar with this website - but assume they're not pulling stuff out of thin air - so it sounds like there will indeed be a H.S. recruiting logjam with players slipping down the food chain of where they otherwise might go. Which would imply that any Zips not performing up to expectations might be shown the transfer vortex and replaced with talented H.S. seniors we might not otherwise be able to get.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 4/13/2021 at 10:07 PM, Illini Zip said:

Thank you. Is this news? How and when did I miss this? Are there posts on him already?

Yep, Junior transfer point guard. Do we know if he gets to play right away?

According to Gainesville and Kentucky fan articles, the transfer sit-out rule has been waived for at least one more year. So we should see Mr. Castaneda on the floor this fall for the Zips, dressed, and dropping buckets in-game. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, ZZZips said:

This will pass on April 28th.  Going forward all D1 athletes in ALL sports can transfer one time and not have to sit out a season.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/di-council-adopts-new-transfer-legislation

Not to get off-topic in this thread, but this is exactly how it should be. Coaches can leave a program without having to sit out the next season, so players should be able to as well. The one-time cap is nice as well in preventing the constant transferring of an individual athlete. 

• Like 1

On 4/16/2021 at 7:17 AM, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Not to get off-topic in this thread, but this is exactly how it should be. Coaches can leave a program without having to sit out the next season, so players should be able to as well. The one-time cap is nice as well in preventing the constant transferring of an individual athlete. 

Most schools put a clause in the coaches contract that if they leave for another school they must pay a certain sum, a penalty, for breaking their contract.  I like the one year rules because it made the player also pay a penalty and think before leaving.  Because the coach had the player on scholarship while he could not play for a year, it also put pressure on the coach to make sure a player was worth the scholarship since he would have to wait a year before benefitting from the transfer.  A lot of these players were superstars in high school.  If they don't get adequate playing time as a frosh they threaten to leave.  Puts a lot of pressure on coaches to keep players happy.  It looks like the Zips will be living or dying with transfers.  Last year Groce had X man and this year we had.... not X man.  I think the era of the 4 years player will be history.  Glad they implemented the one-time cap.

Edited by 1981 grad
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

Most schools put a clause in the coaches contract that if they leave for another school they must pay a certain sum, a penalty, for breaking their contract.  I like the one year rules because it made the player also pay a penalty and think before leaving.  Because the coach had the player on scholarship while he could not play for a year, it also put pressure on the coach to make sure a player was worth the scholarship since he would have to wait a year before benefitting from the transfer.  A lot of these players were superstars in high school.  If they don't get adequate playing time as a frosh they threaten to leave.  Puts a lot of pressure on coaches to keep players happy.  It looks like the Zips will be living or dying with transfers.  Last year Groce had X man and this year we had.... not X man.  I think the era of the 4 years player will be history.  Glad they implemented the one-time cap.

Umm if you think any coaches pay their buyouts out of pocket I have news for you

• Like 1