Scholarship Chart

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just looked at Gozips.com MBB 22-23 roster.  The 9 remaining.  The additions won't go up till start of the school year, BUT... Nate Johnson and Kobe Mitchell are both listed as sophomores.  What's up with that?  Neither played at all as true frosh.  No red shirts?

9 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

I just looked at Gozips.com MBB 22-23 roster.  The 9 remaining.  The additions won't go up till start of the school year, BUT... Nate Johnson and Kobe Mitchell are both listed as sophomores.  What's up with that?  Neither played at all as true frosh.  No red shirts?

Either poor attention to detail on the behalf of UA, or they had bad grades…which would be surprising.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else surprised that our last 2 recruits are coming out of high school and not the transfer portal.  I am not being critical but I do not think that Groce has a high school recruit that has stayed the full 4 years.   I think that Groce recruits athletes that he thinks are coachable, will work hard, and will play defense.  Looking forward to next season.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

Anyone else surprised that our last 2 recruits are coming out of high school and not the transfer portal.  I am not being critical but I do not think that Groce has a high school recruit that has stayed the full 4 years.   I think that Groce recruits athletes that he thinks are coachable, will work hard, and will play defense.  Looking forward to next season.

I am surprised he was able to land 2 high schoolers this late in the game, definitely.

When the market zigs, some successful people zag. 

Groce zagged. This could pay off greatly. This roster matches what he had at OU for his 3 NCAA Tourney wins. Guard heavy with a shorter but more athletic front court. Spread the floor, run em, and play stone cold Z Fence. 

Akron athletics is setting up to be incredible starting in August. Time to run the MAC. 

• Like 6

On 5/24/2022 at 9:46 PM, Illini Zip said:

Zips add Amani Lyles. And we are loaded.

Amani_Lyles.png

Did I miss some kind of NCAA penalty against the Zips? Why are we down to eleven scholarships for 2024-2025 and only seven for 2025-2026?

Whatever it was, it must have been pretty serious.