Scholarship Chart

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This should leave the Zippers with 11 players on roster next season; 2 available scholarships remaining.

1. Sr. - LCJ

2. Sr. - Maishe Dailey

3. Sr. - Camron Reese

4. Sr. - Jayden Sayles

5. Jr. - Bryan Trimble

6. So. - Ali Ali

7. So. - Greg Tribble

8. So. - Taylor Currie

9. So. - Mikal Dawson (I'm still crossing my fingers on him getting himself eligible.  His twitter profile is still all UA & his sister is on the women's team.)

10. Fr. - Tre Edwards

11. Fr. - Garvin Clarke

12. ???

13. ???

Not that the scholarship chart should be updated until it's officially announced, but FWIW, I was watching the women's team on ESPN+ tonight & Jackie Windon was commenting on Jordyn Dawson (Mikal Dawson's sister who plays on the women's team) and said that "her brother is going to be playing for the men's team next year."  So I was glad to hear that.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Not that the scholarship chart should be updated until it's officially announced, but FWIW, I was watching the women's team on ESPN+ tonight & Jackie Windon was commenting on Jordyn Dawson (Mikal Dawson's sister who plays on the women's team) and said that "her brother is going to be playing for the men's team next year."  So I was glad to hear that.

I agree. I will wait for the official announcement, but that's awesome news.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Unless you're a Duke, North Carolina or Kansas, and are consistently landing McDonald's High School All-Americans, the formula for winning is "Get Old; Stay Old."  Groce is doing a masterful job of that.  Our main contributors are all seniors - Cheese, Banks & X with LCJ still having another year.  Our underclassmen are talented but can take a year or two to ease their way into D-1 ball & let the game slow down for them.  Tribble, Ali & Dawson (Dawson's a grown-ass man) all look good and are all getting valuable minutes this year without having a lot of pressure on them (Tribble and Ali are playing truly meaningful minutes). Next year we're adding Trimble (Jr.) and Dailey (Sr.) and ready-to-contribute sophomore big Taylor Currie so, so our current frosh still won't have all the pressure on them.  Future of the program's looking good.  Groce has us rolling.

Next season:

PG:   LCJ            Tribble     (Garvin redshirt)

W:    Trimble      Dawson

W:    Dailey         Ali            Edwards

P:     Reese         Sayles

P:     Currie

To fill out a championship-caliber roster I'm still thinking we need a ready-to-contribute JUCO post player for next season.

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

While we will lose a lot after this season, I'm not too worried about having to reload next year with the additions of Dailey, Trimble, and Currie + the improvement of our younger players. What I didn't realize is that we still have the opportunity to add not one, but two players who are going to make our team better. We also finally have freshman who look to have bought into the system and will be here throughout their career (fingers crossed). Sustained success in the foreseeable future looks pretty realistic at this point.

• Like 2

I'm frankly surprised to NOT hear discussion of this, but...why are we presuming LCJ will be around next year?  He's graduated midway through his "junior" year.  He has the opportunity, if he desires to transfer to a P5 program and be a serious contributor.  I don't know how close he is to coach Groce and his teammates, but the decision is his to make.  Does anyone close to the team have any feeling about Loren's future?

1 hour ago, Z.I.P. said:

I'm frankly surprised to NOT hear discussion of this, but...why are we presuming LCJ will be around next year?  He's graduated midway through his "junior" year.  He has the opportunity, if he desires to transfer to a P5 program and be a serious contributor.  I don't know how close he is to coach Groce and his teammates, but the decision is his to make.  Does anyone close to the team have any feeling about Loren's future?

Utomi was disgruntled, and not a recruit of the present coach. Maybe he was a little delusional of his abilities...maybe he was a bad fit for Groce's system...maybe all of those. But it wasn't a shock to see him leave. Poke? He wasn't going to see any PT, and left for a smaller program.

LCJ is already on his 2nd school. He really seems to be enjoying Akron, playing under Groce, and running his own team. I don't see many P5 schools looking for 5' 8" point guards.

For all those reasons, I will be shocked if he leaves. Not all kids think the grass is greener elsewhere.

Put this post in a time capsule and open it in a few months. We'll see if I'm right. ?

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Utomi was disgruntled, and not a recruit of the present coach. Maybe he was a little delusional of his abilities...maybe he was a bad fit for Groce's system...maybe all of those. But it wasn't a shock to see him leave. Poke? He wasn't going to see any PT, and left for a smaller program.

LCJ is already on his 2nd school. He really seems to be enjoying Akron, playing under Groce, and running his own team. I don't see many P5 schools looking for 5' 8" point guards.

For all those reasons, I will be shocked if he leaves. Not all kids think the grass is greener elsewhere.

Put this post in a time capsule and open it in a few months. We'll see if I'm right. ?

My thoughts exactly.  From everything I have heard LCJ has bought in completely and become a leader on this team.  As such, I'd be shocked if he went anywhere.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

My thoughts exactly.  From everything I have heard LCJ has bought in completely and become a leader on this team.  As such, I'd be shocked if he went anywhere.

I hope you guys are accurate.  I was aware of Jackson when he played at LBSU and felt he could have starred in the Big West -- a couple pegs below the MAC.  I DO still feel he has the overall maturity and chops to help ahigher profile program for a year.  He's not really 5'8, is he Cap'n? ?