Local sportstalk

infofan

Most of you won't care for this post but I wanted to congratulate UA alum Ken carman on his new job. KC formerly hosted a local call in talk show on 1350 but few people listened so it's gone now. The guy is very talented and knowledgable despite his being a buckeye fan. I hate the buckeyes but is it really crime to follow them? KC did dozens of shows at the jar or ua and I hope he continues to talk up the zips on his new gig- primarily host on cleveland's The Fan 92.3 . Tw would have been wise to hire him for our coaches show bit too late now. Again way to go Ken!

Most of you won't care for this post but I wanted to congratulate UA alum Ken carman on his new job. KC formerly hosted a local call in talk show on 1350 but few people listened so it's gone now. The guy is very talented and knowledgable despite his being a buckeye fan. I hate the buckeyes but is it really crime to follow them? KC did dozens of shows at the jar or ua and I hope he continues to talk up the zips on his new gig- primarily host on cleveland's The Fan 92.3 . Tw would have been wise to hire him for our coaches show bit too late now. Again way to go Ken!

Congrats to him. No way should TW hire a buckeye honk to host a Zips fan/coaches show.

Frenchy should be doing the show.

I've been following this story for awhile, the changeover of 92.3. FGreat pickup of Carmen, I liked his show. He had a good show with no gimicks, and good callers, something WKNR hasn't had in years.

I look forward to hearing him on the radio again. I just wish that station came in better down here. Not that 850 or 1350 are much better...

He's very talented. However, it was painfully obvious that he could have hardly cared less about Akron. Insulting show, really.

He's very talented. However, it was painfully obvious that he could have hardly cared less about Akron. Insulting show, really.

With all due respect, Ken carman has been to more Zip games than many of the frequent posters on here. He talked to and about all 6 major Zip sports and had the coaches on his show many times- how is that insulting? And he would ask some questions whether it be Dambrot, Kest, or Porter that Bill Morgan wouldnt have the nerve to ask. I fully agree that the best choice for a coaches show is Steve French or even Joe Dunn, but I guess were stuck with Bill Morgan, who does his best but just doesnt engage listeners at all, thus our coaches show doesnt interest or attract virtually anyone, and thats a shame. Does anyone remember Bill Needle who used to do the games and coaches show at Can't? The new guy ( Linder) is light years better and the coaches show is interesting ( as interesting as Can't can be). My point about KC was if you want to make it in the sports broadcasting biz you have to appeal to the masses and reality says thats OSU and not UA. I wish it was different....

As far as 1350 goes, we aint going anywhere else... WAKR does OSU and the CAVS, WNIR does Can't, the rest of the local stations are either non commercial or music oriented and arent going to change . the only option is If you have a smart phone download iheart radio and get 1350 that way

Im not on the payroll of 1350, but lets give them a little credit. All the mens Bball and Football, all non conflicting womens games, about 15 baseball games, and now 10 soccer games being broadcast. Thats a pretty decent committment, and the FCC controls their signal and power- nothing they can do about it.

Im not on the payroll of 1350, but lets give them a little credit. All the mens Bball and Football, all non conflicting womens games, about 15 baseball games, and now 10 soccer games being broadcast. Thats a pretty decent committment, and the FCC controls their signal and power- nothing they can do about it.

Do you think they broadcast those games for free?

KC talked honestly about the Zips whenever someone called and talked about them. He might have piled on the football team, but come on, they deserved it. No more than anybody here gave them.

Whether he continues that up there, probably depends on whether any Zips fans call him. Imagine that.

He was a hell of a lot easier to call in to than anybody on KNR. He could hold a conversation, you didn't give your "take", get hung up on, and listen to the radio for the host's response. That's how sports talk is suppose to be. That's how you get good callers, not just "takes". And he didn't hang up on you if he disagreed with you. Or the first time you paused or "uh"ed like Hammerhead.

When Pete Franklin built the industry, the characters were the callers. Today, the characters are the co-hosts, whether it's local (RBS, R&R, X's and O's) or network (M&M, DP, Rome to an extent). KC is old school. Unless the whole sports world has gone "Opie and Anthony" "Brian and Joe" "Rover and cast", he should blow KNR right off the air.

When Pete Franklin built the industry, the characters were the callers.

Pete was the best. As a kid I used to take my transistor AM radio to bed, with my ear phone plugged in my ear (so my parents couldn't hear it) and listen to Pete until he went off the air. Many times I'd wake up for school with the earphone still in...and the WWWE morning news playing.

The callers were the best. A bunch of entertaining wing nuts. Pete had a great balance of real sports substance, coupled with entertainment.

If callers were uninteresting, he hung up on them. If they were idiots, he hung up on them. Kids? Hang up.

He had a great knack for what was really interesting, and what was worthless. You can do that when you're confident, have a great show, and aren't begging for listeners. No one hangs up on idiots anymore. That's why I don't listen to radio sports talk today. It's time has passed.

This guy (Czabe) is a close to a listenable, knowledgeable, interesting sports talk host as I've found in the post-Pete era. Too bad he's no longer on the air locally.

Pete was the best. As a kid I used to take my transistor AM radio to bed, with my ear phone plugged in my ear (so my parents couldn't hear it) and listen to Pete until he went off the air. Many times I'd wake up for school with the earphone still in...and the WWWE morning news playing.

The callers were the best. A bunch of entertaining wing nuts. Pete had a great balance of real sports substance, coupled with entertainment.

If callers were uninteresting, he hung up on them. If they were idiots, he hung up on them. Kids? Hang up.

He had a great knack for what was really interesting, and what was worthless. You can do that when you're confident, have a great show, and aren't begging for listeners. No one hangs up on idiots anymore. That's why I don't listen to radio sports talk today. It's time has passed.

This guy is a close to a listenable, knowledgeable, interesting sports talk host as I've found in the post-Pete era. Too bad he's no longer on the air locally.

+1 on Pete Franklin

I'll never forget the bits he would run about the Cavs .. something like "Follow the bouncing Ball" ?? Called Stepien "Uncle Teddy" .. hilarious stuff.

This guy (Czabe) is a close to a listenable, knowledgeable, interesting sports talk host as I've found in the post-Pete era. Too bad he's no longer on the air locally.

Czabe was alright. Spent too much time on non-sports stuff for my liking. But he's head and shoulders above Stephen A(hole) and Zack and Jack who replaced him.

"YOU ARE LOOKING LIVE"

Tony Bruno was the man until he took his show "entertainment".

Peter Brown has been the best WKNR has had. I thought Rizzo would be the end-all, absed on his WHK shows, but the characters he has in there ruin it.

I beg to differ... The Really Big Show is the best locally... Rizzo is a cluless old time homer who makes really uninformed predictions and statements..Thankfully he has Hammer to lay the wood to the buckeye honks and negative Ned to keep it in balance.

Rome was good..Now, not so much.

Stephen A probably has the best takes, too bad he is off the air..

Love DP as in interviewer...

I beg to differ... The Really Big Show is the best locally... Rizzo is a cluless old time homer who makes really uninformed predictions and statements..Thankfully he has Hammer to lay the wood to the buckeye honks and negative Ned to keep it in balance.

Rome was good..Now, not so much.

Stephen A probably has the best takes, too bad he is off the air..

Love DP as in interviewer...

Sorry Bro, But Hammer is terrible. He hates the Buckeyes as well as the entire state of Ohio. I like The Really Big Show but Rizzo is the only good thing about it. And Negative Nancy is like a little Hammer clone.

Why are Zips fans trying to create a false rivalry between Akron and OSU. The two schools are on totally different ends of the spectrum. I am a fan of both schools. I would rather focus my hatred towards Cant State and Michigan

Why are Zips fans trying to create a false rivalry between Akron and OSU. The two schools are on totally different ends of the spectrum. I am a fan of both schools. I would rather focus my hatred towards Cant State and Michigan

Of the above 3 mentioned schools, Michigan is the only one we're not rivals with.

Remember, anytime you see a Columbus State shirt around the Akron area, with a healthier Akron, that would/could/should be a Zips t-shirt.

Most from the Akron area identify themselves more with either Cleveland or Columbus. This is a reality which is "off-the-charts" unhealthy & detrimental for an area's psyche & self-image. It's an uphill battle, but we've gotta make people from the Akron area proud to be from the Akron area. OSU would squash us like a cockroach if they could. So would Cleveland.

Akronites unite!

Fight the power. :lol:

Of the above 3 mentioned schools, Michigan is the only one we're not rivals with.

Remember, anytime you see a Columbus State shirt around the Akron area, with a healthier Akron, that would/could/should be a Zips t-shirt.

Most from the Akron area identify themselves more with either Cleveland or Columbus. This is a reality which is "off-the-charts" unhealthy & detrimental for an area's psyche & self-image. It's an uphill battle, but we've gotta make people from the Akron area proud to be from the Akron area. OSU would squash us like a cockroach if they could. So would Cleveland.

Akronites unite!

Fight the power. :lol:

Blue & Gold, I am standing with you.

What spectrum are you speaking of. Pilgrim? If you are referring to I-A football the Zips scared the crap

out of our friends the Suckeyes on several occasions. The wrong end of the spectrum Zips enjoy football

victories over the likes of North Carolina State (who three weeks later beat Florida State) and the hapless

big Orange of Syracuse. These wins coming in recent years; not 1927.

Men's basketball? Balless Thad does it madda wont even play the Zips. See if you can get your pal to

man up and strap on the wrong end of the spectrum Zips.

Soccer? Last season the sucks packed their soccer stadium with the largest crowd in the history of their

program when they played Akron. Thanks to fumble brained Zips goalie (who shall remain nameless

because I have a low opinion of his skill set) the Sucks squeaked out a two-two tie. The Sucks fans

reacted like they had just won the national championship. Oh, by the way, the Zips did win the National

Championship later in the season.

So much for the wrong end of the spectrum. As for rooting for the Sucks and the Zips, on this board

you'd find more friends if you were a maize and blue fan.

..... Why are Zips fans trying to create a false rivalry between Akron and OSU. The two schools are on totally different ends of the spectrum. I am a fan of both schools. I would rather focus my hatred towards Cant State and Michigan

Interesting first post considering the tOSU firefights that have gone on here recently, as well as over the years.

Anyway, welcome to ZN.O. I think you're about to get a rehash of the same points made here on this subject that have been made many, many, many, many, many times over the years. :)

Why Michigan? That's who OSU fans hate, not Zips fans. Akron has no beef with them.

CBS Owned and Operated WKRK FM- 92.3 the FAN has announced former Fox Sports Radio morning team Kevin Kiley and Chuck Booms will reunite to host the new "Fan" morning show, with producer/sidekicks Josh Potter & Tony Mazur and sports anchor Jeff Thomas.[21] New York sister station WFAN personality Adam "The Bull" Gerstenhaber is being brought over to be the afternoon drive host, and it's expected that former Ohio State Buckeyes saftey and 2002 National Champion Dustin Fox will be his co-host.

The Akron Beacon Journal reported that Andy Baskin, who currently serves as sports director for Cleveland ABC affiliate WEWS-TV, will be the new format's midday host, featuring Cleveland Cavaliers TV pregame host/sideline reporter Jeff Phelps as co-host and sports anchor Jeff Thomas.[22] Ohio Media Watch reported that UA grad Ken Carman, currently the lead play-by-play man for Ashland University football/basketball, and former afternoon host on Akron sports station WARF AM 1350, is expected to take the Prime time/evening slot. Overnight programming will be syndicated via Fox Sports Radio featuring programs hosted by Tony Bruno and J.T. The Brick. WKRK will also be the home for The NFL on Westwood One and NCAA football (also from Westwood One).[24][25]

UA buys the time from 1350 for broadcasts, then sells advertising through IMG . UA also hires and Pays the broadcast team. The air time isnt free but its the cheapest air time available in Akron.

CBS Owned and Operated WKRK FM- 92.3 the FAN has announced former Fox Sports Radio morning team Kevin Kiley and Chuck Booms will reunite to host the new "Fan" morning show, with producer/sidekicks Josh Potter & Tony Mazur and sports anchor Jeff Thomas.[21] New York sister station WFAN personality Adam "The Bull" Gerstenhaber is being brought over to be the afternoon drive host, and it's expected that former Ohio State Buckeyes saftey and 2002 National Champion Dustin Fox will be his co-host.

The Akron Beacon Journal reported that Andy Baskin, who currently serves as sports director for Cleveland ABC affiliate WEWS-TV, will be the new format's midday host, featuring Cleveland Cavaliers TV pregame host/sideline reporter Jeff Phelps as co-host and sports anchor Jeff Thomas.[22] Ohio Media Watch reported that UA grad Ken Carman, currently the lead play-by-play man for Ashland University football/basketball, and former afternoon host on Akron sports station WARF AM 1350, is expected to take the Prime time/evening slot. Overnight programming will be syndicated via Fox Sports Radio featuring programs hosted by Tony Bruno and J.T. The Brick. WKRK will also be the home for The NFL on Westwood One and NCAA football (also from Westwood One).[24][25]

UA buys the time from 1350 for broadcasts, then sells advertising through IMG . UA also hires and Pays the broadcast team. The air time isnt free but its the cheapest air time available in Akron.

I still thinks it's an abomination that WZIP doesn't broadcast @ least the football & men's b-ball games. Probably should broadcast men's soccer as well, since we are the #1 program in the entire nation. :wall:

Soccer? Last season the sucks packed their soccer stadium with the largest crowd in the history of their

program when they played Akron. Thanks to fumble brained Zips goalie (who shall remain nameless

because I have a low opinion of his skill set) the Sucks squeaked out a two-two tie. The Sucks fans

reacted like they had just won the national championship. Oh, by the way, the Zips did win the National

Championship later in the season.

So much for the wrong end of the spectrum. As for rooting for the Sucks and the Zips, on this board

you'd find more friends if you were a maize and blue fan.

Don't forget that even though OSwho had a record crowd at that game. The Rowdies absolutely took over the place at that game. Screw Ohio State. THIS IS AKRON!

I still thinks it's an abomination that WZIP doesn't broadcast @ least the football & men's b-ball games. Probably should broadcast men's soccer as well, since we are the #1 program in the entire nation. :wall:

+1

WZIP has a better coverage area than 1350, better audio, and like you said, is free. Any advertising is profit. I bet they could do a lot more games then. Give the students a chance to call baseball games, for example, if that's what they want to do as a career.

And the games could be picked up on an IPod or other tiny FM receiver when you're at the game, or not able to sit in front of an AM radio all day.

Cars are coming out without CD players now, how long before they quit putting AM static boxes in?