Local sportstalk

infofan

CBS Owned and Operated WKRK FM- 92.3 the FAN has announced former Fox Sports Radio morning team Kevin Kiley and Chuck Booms will reunite to host the new "Fan" morning show, with producer/sidekicks Josh Potter & Tony Mazur and sports anchor Jeff Thomas.[21] New York sister station WFAN personality Adam "The Bull" Gerstenhaber is being brought over to be the afternoon drive host, and it's expected that former Ohio State Buckeyes saftey and 2002 National Champion Dustin Fox will be his co-host.

The Akron Beacon Journal reported that Andy Baskin, who currently serves as sports director for Cleveland ABC affiliate WEWS-TV, will be the new format's midday host, featuring Cleveland Cavaliers TV pregame host/sideline reporter Jeff Phelps as co-host and sports anchor Jeff Thomas.[22] Ohio Media Watch reported that UA grad Ken Carman, currently the lead play-by-play man for Ashland University football/basketball, and former afternoon host on Akron sports station WARF AM 1350, is expected to take the Prime time/evening slot. Overnight programming will be syndicated via Fox Sports Radio featuring programs hosted by Tony Bruno and J.T. The Brick. WKRK will also be the home for The NFL on Westwood One and NCAA football (also from Westwood One).[24][25]

UA buys the time from 1350 for broadcasts, then sells advertising through IMG . UA also hires and Pays the broadcast team. The air time isnt free but its the cheapest air time available in Akron.

I still thinks it's an abomination that WZIP doesn't broadcast @ least the football & men's b-ball games. Probably should broadcast men's soccer as well, since we are the #1 program in the entire nation. :wall:

+1

WZIP has a better coverage area than 1350, better audio, and like you said, is free. Any advertising is profit. I bet they could do a lot more games then. Give the students a chance to call baseball games, for example, if that's what they want to do as a career.

And the games could be picked up on an IPod or other tiny FM receiver when you're at the game, or not able to sit in front of an AM radio all day.

Cars are coming out without CD players now, how long before they quit putting AM static boxes in?

WZIP wanted to do UA games way back when they first started at little to no cost. The AD at the time not only refused to pay WZIP to cover games, but also expected them to cover their own costs for travel. Of course, they still wanted to get a large cut of the in-game advertisements.

As for Carmen, he seems like a nice guy but if anything, he's a play-by-play guy. After his failed run hosting a show on 1350, I'm surprised he got this shot. Maybe he'll surprise though...it'd make for a cool story.

CBS Owned and Operated WKRK FM- 92.3 the FAN has announced former Fox Sports Radio morning team Kevin Kiley and Chuck Booms will reunite to host the new "Fan" morning show, with producer/sidekicks Josh Potter & Tony Mazur and sports anchor Jeff Thomas.[21] New York sister station WFAN personality Adam "The Bull" Gerstenhaber is being brought over to be the afternoon drive host, and it's expected that former Ohio State Buckeyes saftey and 2002 National Champion Dustin Fox will be his co-host.

The Akron Beacon Journal reported that Andy Baskin, who currently serves as sports director for Cleveland ABC affiliate WEWS-TV, will be the new format's midday host, featuring Cleveland Cavaliers TV pregame host/sideline reporter Jeff Phelps as co-host and sports anchor Jeff Thomas.[22] Ohio Media Watch reported that UA grad Ken Carman, currently the lead play-by-play man for Ashland University football/basketball, and former afternoon host on Akron sports station WARF AM 1350, is expected to take the Prime time/evening slot. Overnight programming will be syndicated via Fox Sports Radio featuring programs hosted by Tony Bruno and J.T. The Brick. WKRK will also be the home for The NFL on Westwood One and NCAA football (also from Westwood One).[24][25]

UA buys the time from 1350 for broadcasts, then sells advertising through IMG . UA also hires and Pays the broadcast team. The air time isnt free but its the cheapest air time available in Akron.

I still thinks it's an abomination that WZIP doesn't broadcast @ least the football & men's b-ball games. Probably should broadcast men's soccer as well, since we are the #1 program in the entire nation. :wall:

+1

WZIP has a better coverage area than 1350, better audio, and like you said, is free. Any advertising is profit. I bet they could do a lot more games then. Give the students a chance to call baseball games, for example, if that's what they want to do as a career.

And the games could be picked up on an IPod or other tiny FM receiver when you're at the game, or not able to sit in front of an AM radio all day.

Cars are coming out without CD players now, how long before they quit putting AM static boxes in?

WZIP wanted to do UA games way back when they first started at little to no cost. The AD at the time not only refused to pay WZIP to cover games, but also expected them to cover their own costs for travel. Of course, they still wanted to get a large cut of the in-game advertisements.

As for Carmen, he seems like a nice guy but if anything, he's a play-by-play guy. After his failed run hosting a show on 1350, I'm surprised he got this shot. Maybe he'll surprise though...it'd make for a cool story.

His show on 1350 was doing good, he was able to get decent callers and had good conversation with them. I think Clearchannel either wanted to dump the expense of a local show, couldn't sell advertising for it, or both. As soon as Ken cleaned out his desk, CC had Fox network programming in that time slot.

He seems to be a good fit with the rest of the WKRK talent. He already has a group of callers from his 1350 days, which the other guys haven't built yet. And has a lot of knowledge of Cleveland and NEOhio sports, which the new imports don't have yet.

Sorry Bro, But Hammer is terrible. He hates the Buckeyes...
I have no idea who "Hammer" is, but we have something in common, Go Zips!

I hope that's the only thing...

aaron-goldhammer-wknrjpg-1bdfdc0560c990bb_large.jpggoldhammer.jpg

+1

His show on 1350 was doing good, he was able to get decent callers and had good conversation with them. I think Clearchannel either wanted to dump the expense of a local show, couldn't sell advertising for it, or both. As soon as Ken cleaned out his desk, CC had Fox network programming in that time slot.

He seems to be a good fit with the rest of the WKRK talent. He already has a group of callers from his 1350 days, which the other guys haven't built yet. And has a lot of knowledge of Cleveland and NEOhio sports, which the new imports don't have yet.

I don't know that I agree that he was doing well with the show. He's knows NE Ohio sports, but no more or less than anyone else. He's decent, but I'm not sure he'll last.

92.3 is just disappointing...it was presented as a "fresh take" on NE sports, and then they hired a few out-of-towners and WKNR/WTAM/FSN castoffs.

92.3 is just disappointing...it was presented as a "fresh take" on NE sports, and then they hired a few out-of-towners and WKNR/WTAM/FSN castoffs.

It's a different approach than what we've had. Which is network shows, a scripted "soap opera" where you have one character you're suppose to "love" to hate (but very few do) and two other characters on the far right and far left. Until you get them by themselves, then the three sound much different. Then you have the Jim Rome wannabe's. Then the Steeler-fan who loves the Browns too, as long as the paycheck says Cleveland on it. A daily Browns show that's so monotonous you can't listen to it. And the grouchy old fart who's been doing this since Pete Franklin was on the air.

This is more like what I heard in Philly and Pittsburgh on a road trip. FM quality, straight talk. Some of the hosts need to get settled into town, but I think it's a major improvement over the "characters" at KNR.

• 9 months later...
I think I heard it starts July 30th and will be called the Big Time Sports Show. Here is Joe Dunn's website for his BigTime Sports Ohio TV Show.

I like Joe Dunn. I really do. But he starts every sentence with "I'll tell you what," and in every response to French, says "No doubt about it." It's drinking game material when he's on the radio and it drives me freaking nuts.

Pete was the best. As a kid I used to take my transistor AM radio to bed, with my ear phone plugged in my ear (so my parents couldn't hear it) and listen to Pete until he went off the air. Many times I'd wake up for school with the earphone still in...and the WWWE morning news playing.

The callers were the best. A bunch of entertaining wing nuts. Pete had a great balance of real sports substance, coupled with entertainment.

If callers were uninteresting, he hung up on them. If they were idiots, he hung up on them. Kids? Hang up.

He had a great knack for what was really interesting, and what was worthless. You can do that when you're confident, have a great show, and aren't begging for listeners. No one hangs up on idiots anymore. That's why I don't listen to radio sports talk today. It's time has passed.

This guy is a close to a listenable, knowledgeable, interesting sports talk host as I've found in the post-Pete era. Too bad he's no longer on the air locally.

+1 on Pete Franklin

I'll never forget the bits he would run about the Cavs .. something like "Follow the bouncing Ball" ?? Called Stepien "Uncle Teddy" .. hilarious stuff.

If a caller said to Pete, "Great show," he would always respond, "Tonight?"

So instead of saying something like, "Oh yeah, all the time," my response was, "Well no, but most of the time."

• 5 weeks later...
I like Joe Dunn. I really do. But he starts every sentence with "I'll tell you what," and in every response to French, says "No doubt about it." It's drinking game material when he's on the radio and it drives me freaking nuts.
Joe starts off his show with an Ohio State Buckeye update on Brionte Dunn. Terry Pluto will be the first guest.

He did say he would try to get Terry Bowden on the line later today.

• 1 month later...

I thought I’d bump this thread since I’ve been listening to Joe Dunn pretty steadily for the last few weeks and he and his partners have really been promoting the Zips recently on the 3:00 pm – 6:00 pm show. They’ve been talking about the Miami game all week. They gave away tickets yesterday and I think they plan on giving more away today.

Do they talk about other college teams? Sure. But I don’t think I’ve ever heard as much Zip discussion on local radio. He often talks to Dambrot and other Zip notables. Give it a listen if you haven’t already.

I thought I’d bump this thread since I’ve been listening to Joe Dunn pretty steadily for the last few weeks and he and his partners have really been promoting the Zips recently on the 3:00 pm – 6:00 pm show. They’ve been talking about the Miami game all week. They gave away tickets yesterday and I think they plan on giving more away today.

Do they talk about other college teams? Sure. But I don’t think I’ve ever heard as much Zip discussion on local radio. He often talks to Dambrot and other Zip notables. Give it a listen if you haven’t already.

Dude is as boring in person as he is on the radio!! How did he get that gig?

I heard him yesterday give the date and time of the game...Didn't hear any real takes on the game.

But then again, he's been associated with UA for decades and I have never heard him make even one provocative take/comment. Complaining about the refs doesn't count...

How about review the Akron pass offense versus the MU pass defense. Rush O vs. Rush D.

Special teams? Coaching? Etc...

Then again, why have a take when you can get paid for not having an opinion...and he is on the radio..

I'm listening right now. It's pretty good. I just appreciate a local sports show talking about local sports - yeah, they talk about the Browns, but a little bit of that's okay. They do talk a lot about Akron and local high schools. They're talking about Walsh University right now, so that's pretty cool.

Joe comes across as a little bit dorky, but nice guy.

We're going to need a local show like this as the football program continues to rise.

Dude is as boring in person as he is on the radio!! How did he get that gig?

I heard him yesterday give the date and time of the game...Didn't hear any real takes on the game.

But then again, he's been associated with UA for decades and I have never heard him make even one provocative take/comment. Complaining about the refs doesn't count...

How about review the Akron pass offense versus the MU pass defense. Rush O vs. Rush D.

Special teams? Coaching? Etc...

Then again, why have a take when you can get paid for not having an opinion...and he is on the radio..

Maybe it's time for you to give him a call and spice things up a little! :rock:

One thing is for sure. If you want to call, he'll get you on the air.