The 2013 Recruiting Thread

With the 2012 recruiting about wound up at this point it is time to turn our attention to 2013. The Zips will theoretically have four open scholarships to fill with the expected graduations of Zeke Marshall, Quincy Diggs, Chauncey Gilliam and Brian Walsh.

Zips verbals:

Transferring to the Zips:

Offered by the Zips:

Elijah Brown - 6'3" 185lb - PG - Mater Dei High School - Santa Ana California - Reports offers from the Zips, James Madison, Can't State, St. Mary's, San Diego and Toledo - Rivals.com three stars, Scout.com three stars, ESPN.com rating of 89. Son of former Cleveland Cavaliers and current Los Angeles Lakers Head Coach Mike Brown.

Jack Gibbs - 5'10" 170lb - PG - Westerville North High School - Westerville Ohio - Reports offers from the Zips, Bowling Green, Davidson, James Madison, Ohio, Toledo and William & Mary - Rivals.com three stars, Scout.com three stars, ESPN.com rating of 88.

Austin Grimes - 6'3" 195lb - SG - Aiken High School - Cincinnati Ohio - Reports offers from the Zips, Ball State and Toledo - Rivals.com no stars, Scout.com two star, ESPN.com rating of 84.

Steve Haney - 6'6" 185lb - SF - St. Thomas Aquinas High School - Ft. Lauderdale Florida - Reports offers from the Zips, Central Michigan, Cleveland State, Detroit, Drake, Eastern Michigan, Iowa State, Georgia Southern, South Florida, Toledo, Valparaiso and Western Michigan. Rivals.com three stars, Scout.com three stars, ESPN.com rating of 90.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8kYzb-MLeU

Nigel Hayes - 6'7" 200lb - PF - Whitmer High School - Toledo Ohio - Reports offers from the Zips, Butler, Central Michigan and Toledo - Rivals.com three stars, Scout.com three stars, ESPN.com rating of 92.

Aaron Jackson - 6'5" 185lb - SF - Lincoln High School - Gahanna Ohio - Reports offers from the Zips, Miami, Ohio and Toledo - Rivals.com no stars, Scout.com unlisted, ESPN.com no rating. Plays for the same high school team as former Zips standout Nate Linhart.

Isaiah Johnson - 6'8" 275lb - C - Walnut Hills High School - Cincinnati Ohio - Reports the Zips as his only offer - Rivals.com no stars, Scout.com unlisted, ESPN.com rating of 80.

Devin Wilson - 6'4" 175lb - PG - Montour High School - McKees Rocks Pennsylvania - Reports offers from the Zips, Duquesne and James Madison - Rivals.com unlisted, Scout.com no stars, ESPN.com no rating.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the 2012 recruiting about wound up at this point it is time to turn our attention to 2013. The Zips will theoretically have four open scholarships to fill with the expected graduations of Zeke Marshall, Quincy Diggs, Chauncey Gilliam and Brian Walsh.

Walsh and Gilliam have yet to play even a minute of basketball for the Zips, and you're already thinking about their replacements?

That's hard-core.

Walsh and Gilliam have yet to play even a minute of basketball for the Zips, and you're already thinking about their replacements?

That's hard-core.

Did we find out for sure how many years Walsh has to play yet? He said he was a junior, but web said 3 yrs remaining.

That's hard-core.

Hey, I'm just giving ya what our scholarship situation looks like. Don't shoot the messenger.

That's hard-core.

Did we find out for sure how many years Walsh has to play yet? He said he was a junior, but web said 3 yrs remaining.

According to a recent discussion with KD, Walsh is playing as a sophomore.

That means he has three years eligibility at Akron.

Walsh is currently penciled in as the "sixth" man

• 2 weeks later...

It would seem to me that the emphasis for 2013 and 2014 is to recruit and sign several "bigs".While coaches are forever crying that you can never have too many guards, Akron will needto stock up on front court players in this time frame.I got a kick out of Cap'n's, tongue in cheek remark about looking for replacementsfor Walsh and Gilliam. Reality is that the coaching staff is always keeping an eye five,six even seven years down the road. Its all part of the operation.

It would seem to me that the emphasis for 2013 and 2014 is to recruit and sign several "bigs".While coaches are forever crying that you can never have too many guards, Akron will needto stock up on front court players in this time frame.I got a kick out of Cap'n's, tongue in cheek remark about looking for replacementsfor Walsh and Gilliam. Reality is that the coaching staff is always keeping an eye five,six even seven years down the road. Its all part of the operation.
I was surprised we didn't go after a big this year, so, as a freshman, he'd be on campus & practicing w/ the team during Zeke's senior season.

I'm pretty sure that KD is going after bigs every year. Problem is, good bigs are in limited supply and generally end up with the top teams. UA is inching tantalizingly closer to the level where they have more of a chance to land decent bigs on a regular basis.I'd say right now that 6-9 is the magic number for the Zips. The only three players over 6-8 the Zips have had over the past five seasons have been Zeke, Bardo and Swiech. All of the top mid-majors have at least one good big in the 6-9/6-10 range, and most have more than one.With Zeke's college career now half over, it's becoming increasingly important to recruit at least one big with his talent level or greater. Otherwise it's going to be tough for the Zips to move higher in the mid-major rankings.

• 3 months later...
Keith mentioned a "big" recruit being at the game last night. Any ideas who he was?

He's a guy that Akron has been recruiting hard in Jack Gibbs. VCU is also involved with him. He's a 2013 guard out of Westerville North in Ohio. A lot of people think he might be the best 2013 point in Ohio. He recently tore his ACL and is out for the season however.

KD emphasized the word "big", so I was thinking another big man.

Well Gibbs was at the game and he's a high-priority guy for KD since he's recruiting Gibbs himself according to Rivals.

I'm sure there were likely several recruits considering you were playing VCU and expecting a good crowd with Terry Bowden in the house. Ideal atmosphere to bring in recruits.

maybe this guy?

Rivals Profile

:screwks:

Bad link. Could you post again? Or at least give us more info?

(edit): nevermind. The link is fine. And yes, that is the guy. According to what I've read, it sounds as though he might be a tad lazy, and that his problem is keeping his weight down - quite the opposite of big Zeke. But he's got a ton of raw talent (no pun intended). And you can't coach size, you just thank God for it. (And work your tail off to develop it!)

• 3 weeks later...