The 2013 Recruiting Thread

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Jack Gibbs and Aaron Jackson took a visit last night. per brian walsh's twitter. The two that joined them were "big ike" and "BJ" who don't have twitter so I have no idea who he was referring to.

My guess is Big Ike would be Isaiah Johnson who has been widely reported to be visiting the Zips with a good amount of interest. He is a 6'9" 275lb C out of Cincinnati with offers from the Zips, Xavier, Ohio and Can't. IF he were to commit to the Zips the C position would seemingly be set for the next 5 years for the Zips between Zeke, Forsythe and Ike.

BJ would likely be BJ Gladden, a 6'5" 185lb SF out of Charlotte NC. He has offers from Wake Forest and Xavier amongst others.

Not a surprise in the least that we are going hard after guys like Gladden and Jackson. With Forsythe in the loop our seemingly largest hole headed into next offseason (a C to replace Zeke) would seem to be handled. Now the focus has to be on finding some talent at SF where we will be losing Diggs and Gilliam at the end of the year. That will leave Jake Kretzer as the only real 3 on the roster. Harney can play some 3 if needed, and I suspect that McAdams would be an option there if we really needed it, but you have to imagine that KD does not want to go into 2013-14 with only one 3 on the roster.

On another note, those 4 players represent some very significant talent on campus. In addition to Ike and BJ, Jack Gibbs is a 3 star PG with a number of offers (Bowling Green, Ohio, Toledo, James Madison, Davidson included). Jackson is a 6'6" SF out of Gahanna Lincoln (the last SF we had from Gahanna Lincoln worked out pretty well for us if I recall correctly) with offers from Ohio and Toledo. If KD can get 2 or 3 of these guys to commit it would be a heck of a nice recruiting class for the Zips.

• 2 weeks later...
My guess is Big Ike would be Isaiah Johnson who has been widely reported to be visiting the Zips with a good amount of interest. He is a 6'9" 275lb C out of Cincinnati with offers from the Zips, Xavier, Ohio and Can't. IF he were to commit to the Zips the C position would seemingly be set for the next 5 years for the Zips between Zeke, Forsythe and Ike.

BJ would likely be BJ Gladden, a 6'5" 185lb SF out of Charlotte NC. He has offers from Wake Forest and Xavier amongst others.

Not a surprise in the least that we are going hard after guys like Gladden and Jackson. With Forsythe in the loop our seemingly largest hole headed into next offseason (a C to replace Zeke) would seem to be handled. Now the focus has to be on finding some talent at SF where we will be losing Diggs and Gilliam at the end of the year. That will leave Jake Kretzer as the only real 3 on the roster. Harney can play some 3 if needed, and I suspect that McAdams would be an option there if we really needed it, but you have to imagine that KD does not want to go into 2013-14 with only one 3 on the roster.

On another note, those 4 players represent some very significant talent on campus. In addition to Ike and BJ, Jack Gibbs is a 3 star PG with a number of offers (Bowling Green, Ohio, Toledo, James Madison, Davidson included). Jackson is a 6'6" SF out of Gahanna Lincoln (the last SF we had from Gahanna Lincoln worked out pretty well for us if I recall correctly) with offers from Ohio and Toledo. If KD can get 2 or 3 of these guys to commit it would be a heck of a nice recruiting class for the Zips.

Looks like you're getting your wish. :thumb:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that Kwan Cheatam, 6-9, power forward and Isaiah Johnson, 6-9, center signed

LOI's today committing to the University of Akron.

Aaron Jackson, 6-5, swing man,out of Gahanna Lincoln is reported to have signed as well.

I have no update on B.J. Gladden. Since his father played for Coach Dambrot at Ashland we can assume that BJ will

also play for KD.

Signing these four gives Akron the best recruiting class in school history. Emphasis on class, not individuals.

It remains to be seen how this recruiting class will compare to the last one. Even though Pat Forsythe was not "recruited" in the traditional sense, he very much becomes a part of the same class as Kretzer, McAdams and Melo. We'll know for sure in a few years which quartet is "better." But the key point is that these eight players represent a huge pool of talent that should keep the Zips at the top of the MAC for years to come.

per his Twitter acct. BJ Gladden has signed his LOI today.

LOI

All four players signed. KD and staff have cause to celebrate. This is a talented group.

What separates the Zips from the rest of the MAC is that for the past three-four years the Zips have been signing

talent ranked at a level above the MAC. This along with Akron's outstanding coaching staff is moving akron to that

tier we have long dreamed of. That is, the Gonzaga of the East. Its getting there.

• 1 month later...

https://twitter.com/NylesEvans3/status/285105402939584513

Nyles Evans

‏@NylesEvans3

God has guided me thru this process and i have committed to coach Keith Dambrot and the AkronZips! Thanks to all who supports

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/re...DUHZJJOn4HXO5B4

Originally from North Canton Hoover.

Nyles has spent a lot of time with the Zips lately. He played with and against Zips players in the Akron Canton Am Pro Summer League, where he edged Tree for high scorer in the championship game, 38-35.

Box Score

In the video below, Nyles puts moves on Rico, Tree and other Zips.

Nyles was Hoover's all-time leading scorer, and the Canton Rep's player of the year in 2011, when he was recruited by UA but elected to go the JuCo route.

Canton Rep Story

At 5-11, he's small for a shooting guard. But he can handle the ball well, and could help out at the point. He appears to be a classic small combo guard. He looks like a D. J. Cooper-type player.

PG - Nyles Evans

SG - Aaron Jackson

SF - B.J. Gladden

PF - Kwan Cheatham

C - Isaiah Johnson

The Zips have recruited an entire starting lineup and a pretty good looking one on paper for this class.

This is not a good sign for those who were hoping to see Quincy Diggs back next year.

I also have to imagine that this spells the end of the line for another one of our current scholarship players. Based on the current roster and available playing time my money would have to be on Blake Justice.

Finally, and someone can correct me if I am wrong here, I BELIEVE this is the first time in the KD era that the Zips have gone to the JUCO well. Not sure what to make of that, although I suppose you can also say that we offered Evans out of high school.