Charlie Frye's Heisman campaign not recognized

Dr Z

Sports Illustrated lists its Spring Heisman candidates and Charlie is not there.

But they give Gradkowski the "long shot" call.

I think Charlie is going to have to knock off PSU or Virginia to get noticed.

THE LONG SHOT: Bruce Gradkowski, QB, Toledo, Jr.

Just when you think the MAC may be tapped out of quarterbacks, another one surfaces. Gradkowski takes the torch from Byron Leftwich, Dave Ragone and Ben Roethlisberger, ready to earn national attention on a non-BCS stage. Gradkowski threw for 3,210 yards in 2003, and his completion percentage of 71.2 was bettered by only one QB -- Philip Rivers, the hottest QB commodity after Eli Manning in last week's draft. If you think Gradkowski can't hang with the big boys, review the tape from the Rockets' Sept. 20 upset of Pittsburgh, when he completed 49 of 62 passes for 461 yards and three TDs, orchestrating a thrilling fourth-quarter comeback. The Rockets air it out enough for Gradkowski to put up Heisman numbers, and he has a premier target in senior WR Lance Moore, who led the nation with 8.58 receptions per game.

IN THE SPRING: Gradkowski was mostly a spectator in the spring game on April 17, but if the Rockets' playcalling was any indication of the makeup of their 2004 game plans, it bodes well: They passed on 51 of 74 plays. Gradkowski threw just eight of those, completing four for 42 yards and allowing one interception. The best news was that four of Toledo's regular-season games will be on ESPN or ESPN2, meaning the QB will get a reasonable share of mid-week national TV exposure.

The rest of the article

Well said. No doubt Gradkowski is talented. I agree that 5 will have to make himself noticed. Personally, I would rather be a bit of the underdog in these circumstances. Hopefully we can settle this on in the MAC Championship Game. Here is my take on what really happened:

Dooloo..Dooloo..Dooloo

SI Editor: Luke, good article, but remeber, the MAC has had some outstanding QB's in the last few years. You should probably have one of those guys in there somewhere.

Luke: Yea, good point, let me work on this one.

Back at his desk---

Luke Thinks: MAC Schools, Marshall, BG, Miami, Toledo ......yup that's about it. How can I make this quick....the Bachelor is on tonight and I need to get home....Completion Percentage....that'll do it!

Lets see here....

1) Gradkowski - Toledo

2) Hill - Marshall

3) Roethlisberger - Miami

Alright, Roethlisberger is gone so that leaves Hill and Gradkowski....I'll flip a coin.....and Gradkowski it is.

The next day --

Luke - Here you go boss.

SI Editor - Nice work Luke, who the hell is Gradkowski?!?

Luke - I don't know but he plays for Toledo.

SI Editor - Yup, Toledo is in the MAC with BG, Miami and Marshall. How good is this guy?

SI Editor Thinks - Boy, the MAC is a small confrence.

Luke - He's awesome... a Junior just like Roethlisberger.

SI Editor - Has anyone here been to Indiana to see him play?

Luke - No

SI Editor - Good work! You know, I might let you go to Florida the next time Miami and Toledo play so that you can see a MAC battle first hand!

Luke - Thanks boss! You know, there are 2 MAC teams in Florida.

SI Editor - Yea, I guess you're right.

SI Editor Thinks - Who is the second team?

Fade to black.

Again, none of these guys have probably ever been to a MAC game and probably have only watched 10 minutes of the ones on ESPN. Allright Zips.....the disrespect continues...lets use this as motivation.