Akron Hockey thread

Spin

The Akron Zips hockey club has a new website for 2011-12, check it out at http://www.akronhockey.com/The season opener is on the 23rd at Youngstown State, with the home opener October 7 vs. West Virginia. All Home games are played at Center Ice Sports Complex 5319 Port Jackson Ave. NW Canton, Ohio 44720 (phone 330 966-0169) $5.00 tickets are available to the general publicStudents are FREE with a valid Zip Card.akron-hockey-update-2-7-11-620x250.jpgThe team lost only one senior after last year, and looks to build on their first run in Division 2 where they went 8-9-0 (6-1-7-0 in the TSCHL). The Dayton Flyers won the TSCHL's first title. This year the conference adds the Ohio Bobcats. The conference also includes Cincinnati, Dayton, Indiana Pa., Pittsburgh, Toledo, West Virginia, and Wright State. And of course, the Zips.Two more links to bookmark are The TSCHL Tri State Collegiate Hockey League and The ACHA American Collegiate Hockey AssociationIt's good hockey, and a good time. I'll try to keep the next home games in my signature throughout the season.Brian-Burke-300x209.jpg(images stolen from http://akronsportsnow.com/)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to hear peoples opinions on having an on-campus hockey team after watching one of these games.

I think it would be great to have a rink on campus. Not just for the hockey team, but also for the students. The games I have been to (Akron Zips and Wooster Oilers JrA) the public skates before and after the games are PACKED. I wonder how many students would use it, looks like a fun hobby, and a good fitness exercise.

You could convert it to indoor soccer and have intramural and recreational soccer games certain days of the week.

And you could rent it out to other organizations (like youth leagues and high school teams). Maybe even a Jr league or low level minor league team.

Just my thoughts. It's not my money they're spending. On second thought, yes it is!!!

I didn't even know about the Center Ice facility there by the airport...when was it built? Their link to the Akron hockey page is broken.

Isn't this the place where the Michigan dentist moved his pro team to play a few yrs ago, when he found out the Canton CC was booked? I think DiG does his figure skating practice there in the mornings.

I didn't even know about the Center Ice facility there by the airport...when was it built? Their link to the Akron hockey page is broken.

Isn't this the place where the Michigan dentist moved his pro team to play a few yrs ago, when he found out the Canton CC was booked? I think DiG does his figure skating practice there in the mornings.

I don't remember. I remember there was a lot of talk about a rink in Massillon and a team moving there. But I don't know if they ever went to Center Ice or not.

The Zips hockey home opener weekend is this Friday and Saturday at 7:25pm at Center Ice. Admission is $5 (free for students) and includes the possibility of seeing me fall flat on my ass.

Friday night we take on the West Virginia Mountaineers, and Saturday the IUP Crimson Hawks are in town. These are the only home games in October.

For more info visit www.akronhockey.com

The Zips hockey home opener weekend is this Friday and Saturday at 7:25pm at Center Ice. Admission is $5 (free for students) and includes the possibility of seeing me fall flat on my ass.

Friday night we take on the West Virginia Mountaineers, and Saturday the IUP Crimson Hawks are in town. These are the only home games in October.

For more info visit www.akronhockey.com

Did I ever tell you how I spent seven of the best hours of my life standing with the University of Virginia hockey club players at the U2 concert at Aloha Stadium? :P

• 3 months later...

I'm not a huge hockey fan and wasn't quite sure where to put this, but maybe it will give the club team a little more attention (and maybe they might even want to try it). Have it give it to our conference mates (even if there is no MAC hockey conference), as Western Michigan pulled off a really slick goal. They passed to the middle player who made it look like he was letting loose a wicked slap shot, but in reality let the puck slide past him to his teammate who did unload a wicked goal scoring slapshot. Well done Broncos! :)

Just a heads up to everyone...and this probably deserves its own thread...BUT everyone mark February 3rd on your calendars. That night (friday) at 9 pm Zips hockey takes on Cincinnati but most importantly UA Athletics Director Tom Wistrcill will be in attendance. The hockey team needs all the support they can get that night to show the AD the level of interest in the program. Though they are averaging 400+ per game, they could use a truly PACKED house on this night (650 could probably fit in the place). So please bring your kids, bring your friends and come on out. A group of about 10 of us will be tailgating around 6pm for the game in the parking lot (beer is allowed) and it's going to be a fun night. Tickets are cheap ($5) and it's free for Akron students.

I'll have more info coming soon, but I have good info that UA is looking into adding a D1 program somewhere on the timeline of 5 years. Either way, this night could help the team get some money from the university and could do a lot for pushing a D1 program through.

And hey, with the whole arena discussion and whether or not to have a hockey facility, this is definitely a good argument!

I don't get why some people are so dismissive of the idea that we can have a successful college hockey team. They say Akron's not a hockey town. I say it can be. This city embraces things that set it apart from Cleveland and other cities like Canton and Youngstown. We would become one of Miami's chief rivals instantly (don't discount the effect that would have) thanks to the history between our schools in other sports. It would be good for UA and further set it apart from Can't and CSU in the minds of locals.

Come out Feb 3rd with the intent to have fun and you won't be disappointed.

I will be there Friday. Any chance on getting some of the Rowdies there? If we get the atmosphere we've had at several games this season, it would certainly leave an impression.

I also don't understand why people don't think this is a hockey area. Youngstown, Wheeling, and Erie hav teams. Wooster has a successful team. Cleveland's hockey failures have been well documented, and IMO well explained in another thread. And the club team draws well, as we have seen. A hell of a lot better than most of the sanctioned sports I have attended... I think a full-on hockey program could break even or even produce revenue. Bring in more sponsors.

And like the soccer team, draw in people from the whole region.

I will be there Friday. Any chance on getting some of the Rowdies there? If we get the atmosphere we've had at several games this season, it would certainly leave an impression.

I also don't understand why people don't think this is a hockey area. Youngstown, Wheeling, and Erie hav teams. Wooster has a successful team. Cleveland's hockey failures have been well documented, and IMO well explained in another thread. And the club team draws well, as we have seen. A hell of a lot better than most of the sanctioned sports I have attended... I think a full-on hockey program could break even or even produce revenue. Bring in more sponsors.

And like the soccer team, draw in people from the whole region.

There's a good chance of getting some people there as we bought a keg and got a few hundred hot dogs donated for the tailgate.

Feel free to stop by before the game for a beer or two...or nine. We will be there around 6.

Facebook event page with more details

I hope to met you and any other ZipsNationals.

You can get my profile pic here (I'm the one on the right). http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000326361396 I'll be wearing Khaki pants and a blue and gold jacket, Zips Hockey polo. During the game I'll be the one with the huge fanny pack trying not to fall on my ass.

Thanks to everyone that came out tonight. It was a highly entertaining game with the Zips winning 6-2 and the Rowdies/fans really getting in the Bearcats' heads. Their goalie got destroyed. But great turnout for the tailgate, we had probably 75+ people at one point!

Everyone that missed: tomorrow the team plays at roughly the same time as the basketball team but next friday vs Toledo (6:25pm) you should come out and support the team. There will be a keg (free beer) and free food again and it should be a great time.

418164_291133340940071_121431294576944_705311_1041251428_n.jpg

6-2?!?! :eek:

SPANK!!! :rock:

This is exciting news. How many people would you say were in attendance overall? 150? 200? I don't want to get ahead of myself, but simply in the spirit of visionary thinking (daydreaming?) could you imagine how great it would be to have a competitive NCAA Men's Hockey progrum on campus? Talk about adding to the student's quality of life - not to mention the surrounding community, of which I am a part. Football, soccer, basketball, baseball (when RR gets that progrum turned) and hockey?! A nice, intimate 1000-seat hockey arena on campus, near Exchange, easily accessible to downtown, open skating after the games. UA would be the place to be... year around!

This is exciting news. How many people would you say were in attendance overall? 150? 200? I don't want to get ahead of myself, but simply in the spirit of visionary thinking (daydreaming?) could you imagine how great it would be to have a competitive NCAA Men's Hockey progrum on campus? Talk about adding to the student's quality of life - not to mention the surrounding community, of which I am a part. Football, soccer, basketball, baseball (when RR gets that progrum turned) and hockey?! A nice, intimate 1000-seat hockey arena on campus, near Exchange, easily accessible to downtown, open skating after the games. UA would be the place to be... year around!

200+ I lost count.

It was nice to put faces to some of the names on here, it was a rough game, these two teams just don't like each other (anyone else remember "Piss on old time hockey"?). At one point we were 5 on 3 with Cincy on a major, later Cincy had a player tossed. And a big win with playoff implications.

Team chemistry has been a problem with some players running into money and grade problems, so this win was huge.

Another in-state rival, Wright State, is in town later today.

And you don't have to convince me what on-campus hockey would add...

According to figures I received, the attendance was over 250 paid and over 100 students. So 350+ easily.

and @Spin, might I add that the back-to-back saves by Cahill in the first period were one of the top plays by an Akron athlete all year? First an amazing deflection against a one-on-one fast break, and then a straight up denial on the ensuing penalty shot (btw i did not see that interference call).

Talk about a brutal crowd as well. THAT was a hockey game.

oh and:

GOALIE! cahill-penalty-shot.jpg

SIEVE! 431555_10100169867236882_39100047_40438551_401377783_n.jpg

Just a heads up: Tonight Akron Hockey hosts Toledo in their second to last home game of the season (tomorrow is the last but is during the basketball game). Akron currently sits in a playoff spot as the 5 seed but is only one point behind the third place Rockets. A win tonight secures a playoff spot and possibly more. The team has won three of their last four and is really playing well. Tickets are $5 or free with a student ID.

Once again there will be a free tailgate prior to the game with FREE beer and FREE food. Come on out and support the team and enjoy a great atmosphere.

Tailgate info

Arena address: 5319 Port Jackson Ave. North Canton, Ohio