The Beer Thread

K92

I thought a place where we could discuss all things beer would be appropriate.I saw a new label today while at the grocery store.guinness_black_lager.jpgAnybody tried this one yet? I am not a fan of Guinness Stout, but I have been known to drink a Harp or Smithwick's or two. Thought I would wait for a report from someone before I bought a six pack.

• Like 1

I thought a place where we could discuss all things beer would be appropriate.I saw a new label today while at the grocery store.Anybody tried this one yet? I am not a fan of Guinness Stout, but I have been known to drink a Harp or Smithwick's or two. Thought I would wait for a report from someone before I bought a six pack.
I haven't seen that one yet, but I'm intrigued. The other three you mention are all ales, so this lager should have a different feel and flavor. I had a nice black lager up at the new microbrewery in Ohio City a few weeks ago.
  • Like 1

I thought a place where we could discuss all things beer would be appropriate.I saw a new label today while at the grocery store.Anybody tried this one yet? I am not a fan of Guinness Stout, but I have been known to drink a Harp or Smithwick's or two. Thought I would wait for a report from someone before I bought a six pack.
I haven't seen that one yet, but I'm intrigued. The other three you mention are all ales, so this lager should have a different feel and flavor. I had a nice black lager up at the new microbrewery in Ohio City a few weeks ago.
I haven't had many black lagers. The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are Sam Adams and Saranac, but I have a pretty open mind about them. :)I had good intentions of getting up to Market Garden this summer, but ran out of time. Heard good reports about it.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was waiting for someone to try the Guinness Black Lager and give a report but no one did, so I will be the guinea pig. I was hoping to find it in a single display but no dice, so I bought a six pack. It's ok. Nothing special at all, reminds me a little bit of a St. Pauli Dark or a Beck's Dark. Probably a little smoother than either of those. Definitely not as good as some other dark lagers. I would choose a dunkel from Hofbrau or Warsteiner over this one every time, but not bad. I wish I could describe beer like a true connoisseur would but hopefully my crude description gives you an idea.

I was waiting for someone to try the Guinness Black Lager and give a report but no one did, so I will be the guinea pig. I was hoping to find it in a single display but no dice, so I bought a six pack. It's ok. Nothing special at all, reminds me a little bit of a St. Pauli Dark or a Beck's Dark. Probably a little smoother than either of those. Definitely not as good as some other dark lagers. I would choose a dunkel from Hofbrau or Warsteiner over this one every time, but not bad. I wish I could describe beer like a true connoisseur would but hopefully my crude description gives you an idea.

The Tap House has bottles of this, I'll have to try one next time I'm in. I used to be obsessed with Guinness, but now it doesn't have enough taste for me =P

The Tap House has bottles of this, I'll have to try one next time I'm in. I used to be obsessed with Guinness, but now it doesn't have enough taste for me =P

Ok, I'll bite. What are you drinking now?

Well I've been enjoying IPAs since spring and since Tap House has Goose Island IPA on tap that's what I drink =P

If I had my choice of IPA I'd drink Stone Ruination IPA. Powerful but SO good.

Also, the Edmund Fitzgerald-Guinness comparison is not possible because any time you go from a Porter to a Stout you'll notice quite a difference lol

Hoppin Frog won the GOLD MEDAL for the Boris and the Bronze for Barrel Aged Naked Evil BBW in the 2011 Great American Beer Festival!!!! If you have never tried Fred's beer, go to ACME right now and pick some up!!!

http://www.greatamericanbeerfestival.com/w...f11_winners.pdf

http://www.brewersassociation.org/pages/me...nners-announced

"Ohio wins two gold medals and two bronze medals at the Great American Beer Fest! In the most competitive category in the competition, the American Style India Pale Ale (176 entries), Fat Head's Brewery and Saloon won the bronze medal for their Head Hunter IPA. Fat Head's also won the gold medal in the Baltic porter category for their Battle Axe Baltic Porter (out of 19 entries).

In another hotly contested category, wood and barrel aged strong beer (118 entries) Hoppin' Frog Brewery won the bronze medal for their Barrel-aged Naked Evil Belgian Barleywine. Hoppin' Frog also won another gold medal for B.O.R.I.S the Crusher in the imperial stout category out of 56 entries. Congratulations to both breweries!

It was an amazing cometition with nearly 4000 entries from about 560 breweries. I'm sure there were a few disappointed Ohio brewers, but this is a tough competition, and there were a lot of quality beers entered. "

http://www.examiner.com/craft-beer-in-clev..._alerts_article

@AK RAUDI: I have never acquired a real flavor for IPA's as a whole. There are some that I have tried that I have enjoyed, but I like the darker more balanced varieties. Personally, I like the Indian Brown Ales I have tried better than IPA, but I like darker as a general rule. But there's still time and I will continue to try different IPA's. I had a good one in a sampler pack this summer, Abita Jockamo IPA.

@Bobby: I haven't tried any Hoppin' Frog brews yet. But I don't know about that BBW. Isn't that what they call the plus size ladies? :D

Since Dr. Z turned me on to that dopplebock at last week's tailgate, I have been a little curious about the style. My limited experience with American bock never impressed me a whole lot, so I don't think I had ever tried a double. So I picked up Spaten Optimator and Paulaner Salvator. Good stuff, but they both pack a wallop with high ABV. I like the Spaten better. Both brewed in Munich, so you know it's got to be good, right? :)

Hoppin Frog won the GOLD MEDAL for the Boris and the Bronze for Barrel Aged Naked Evil BBW in the 2011 Great American Beer Festival!!!! If you have never tried Fred's beer, go to ACME right now and pick some up!!!http://www.greatamericanbeerfestival.com/w...f11_winners.pdfhttp://www.brewersassociation.org/pages/me...nners-announced"Ohio wins two gold medals and two bronze medals at the Great American Beer Fest! In the most competitive category in the competition, the American Style India Pale Ale (176 entries), Fat Head's Brewery and Saloon won the bronze medal for their Head Hunter IPA. Fat Head's also won the gold medal in the Baltic porter category for their Battle Axe Baltic Porter (out of 19 entries).In another hotly contested category, wood and barrel aged strong beer (118 entries) Hoppin' Frog Brewery won the bronze medal for their Barrel-aged Naked Evil Belgian Barleywine. Hoppin' Frog also won another gold medal for B.O.R.I.S the Crusher in the imperial stout category out of 56 entries. Congratulations to both breweries! It was an amazing cometition with nearly 4000 entries from about 560 breweries. I'm sure there were a few disappointed Ohio brewers, but this is a tough competition, and there were a lot of quality beers entered. "http://www.examiner.com/craft-beer-in-clev..._alerts_article
okay I never knew Hoppin Frog was brewed in Akron. So where can I try all these?
@AK RAUDI: I have never acquired a real flavor for IPA's as a whole. There are some that I have tried that I have enjoyed, but I like the darker more balanced varieties. Personally, I like the Indian Brown Ales I have tried better than IPA, but I like darker as a general rule. But there's still time and I will continue to try different IPA's. I had a good one in a sampler pack this summer, Abita Jockamo IPA.@Bobby: I haven't tried any Hoppin' Frog brews yet. But I don't know about that BBW. Isn't that what they call the plus size ladies? :DSince Dr. Z turned me on to that dopplebock at last week's tailgate, I have been a little curious about the style. My limited experience with American bock never impressed me a whole lot, so I don't think I had ever tried a double. So I picked up Spaten Optimator and Paulaner Salvator. Good stuff, but they both pack a wallop with high ABV. I like the Spaten better. Both brewed in Munich, so you know it's got to be good, right? :)
I like Porters and Stouts as well but give me a good IPA and I'm happy.

Hoppin Frog won the GOLD MEDAL for the Boris and the Bronze for Barrel Aged Naked Evil BBW in the 2011 Great American Beer Festival!!!! If you have never tried Fred's beer, go to ACME right now and pick some up!!!

http://www.greatamericanbeerfestival.com/w...f11_winners.pdf

http://www.brewersassociation.org/pages/me...nners-announced

"Ohio wins two gold medals and two bronze medals at the Great American Beer Fest! In the most competitive category in the competition, the American Style India Pale Ale (176 entries), Fat Head's Brewery and Saloon won the bronze medal for their Head Hunter IPA. Fat Head's also won the gold medal in the Baltic porter category for their Battle Axe Baltic Porter (out of 19 entries).

In another hotly contested category, wood and barrel aged strong beer (118 entries) Hoppin' Frog Brewery won the bronze medal for their Barrel-aged Naked Evil Belgian Barleywine. Hoppin' Frog also won another gold medal for B.O.R.I.S the Crusher in the imperial stout category out of 56 entries. Congratulations to both breweries!

It was an amazing cometition with nearly 4000 entries from about 560 breweries. I'm sure there were a few disappointed Ohio brewers, but this is a tough competition, and there were a lot of quality beers entered. "

http://www.examiner.com/craft-beer-in-clev..._alerts_article

okay I never knew Hoppin Frog was brewed in Akron. So where can I try all these?

@AK RAUDI: I have never acquired a real flavor for IPA's as a whole. There are some that I have tried that I have enjoyed, but I like the darker more balanced varieties. Personally, I like the Indian Brown Ales I have tried better than IPA, but I like darker as a general rule. But there's still time and I will continue to try different IPA's. I had a good one in a sampler pack this summer, Abita Jockamo IPA.

@Bobby: I haven't tried any Hoppin' Frog brews yet. But I don't know about that BBW. Isn't that what they call the plus size ladies? :D

Since Dr. Z turned me on to that dopplebock at last week's tailgate, I have been a little curious about the style. My limited experience with American bock never impressed me a whole lot, so I don't think I had ever tried a double. So I picked up Spaten Optimator and Paulaner Salvator. Good stuff, but they both pack a wallop with high ABV. I like the Spaten better. Both brewed in Munich, so you know it's got to be good, right? :)

I like Porters and Stouts as well but give me a good IPA and I'm happy.

Why don't you come down and introduce yourself Saturday and drink a couple beers with everybody? The more the merrier.

yo AKRONNNNNNNNN hit me up saturday. i might tag along for s#its n giggles...

okay, I'll go with you. I need to wash my car before Sunday though and saturday was gonna be the day. lol

Same. I gotta find a plan for that.

In related news to this thread: ive lately grown to really love IPAs for some reason... not all of them, but quite a few. I had one last night that was pretty good. Too bad I already forgot what it was lol... Ill look it up when im at that bar next week.

CHEAP BEER.

I was at Kroger today looking at the beer cooler when I saw a "discount priced" beer I had never seen before and it got me to thinking about all the beer that we drank back in the day when we were broke.

I didn't start drinking until the summer after I graduated high school. I was introduced to bottom shelf beer in June 1986.

9021691_1_l.jpg

Old Dutch. I am surprised I wasn't turned off to beer forever after that bad first experience. I really can't remember what else we drank that summer. Mostly what we could get our hands on from family members' refrigerators or get someone to buy for us. From the fridge, it was Genny Cream Ale or Blatz. Sometimes we would score some Budweiser. For some reason, it seemed like when we put an order in it wound up being

06962_6.jpg

When I arrived in Akron and got my room assignment in Bulger Hall, it wasn't long before one of the upperclassmen started asking for orders for that first beer run to the Zip Mart. There were some stipulations involved...You had to pay double as the service fee and the only beer available was

Wiedemann-Beer-Bottles-Paper-Label-G-Heileman-Brewing-Company_56827-1.jpg

Wiedemann stubbies. The courier was not going in with a shopping list. It was Wiedemann or nothing.

When I moved out of the dorm we settled in on

milwaukeealumcan1.jpg

Especially for keg parties. Remember going down to Tramonte to pick up kegs?

Right around the time I graduated a new Miller label came out

8419L.jpg

Colder's 29. Remember that one? It didn't last long.

As I started making a little money, I thought I would start drinking a little more upscale cheap beer.

0007199090029_300X300.jpg

Do you remember how cheap 30 packs of this were after they stopped calling it Coors?

I think not too long after my Extra Gold kick, the craft beer revolution started and changed everything. Before that happened, if we ever drank "good beer", it was an import.

There are literally a hundred or more cheap lagers I have had over the years. I bought one at Kroger today for old time's sake.

144986.jpg

99 cents for a 24 ounce can. Can't beat that. :D

What? No Schaefers? No Red White and Blue?

Sheafers is the one beer to have when you're having more than one.

On the other end of the scale, I decided to celebrate hockey's come from behind OT win with a Blue Moon. Or 6.

What? No Schaefers? No Red White and Blue?

Nope. Those two are a little before my time. Same with Bavarian, Buckhorn and Black Label. I remember going to Municipal Stadium as a kid and the beer vendors selling Black Label. Remember Duke? Goebel? How about the generic beer?

7987.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It's a little early to say "Tis the season", but I picked up my first yuletide beer today. Buehler's had a big stack of Thirsty Dog 12 Dogs of Christmas Ale. Seems like they should wait until after Halloween to bring out the Christmas Ale. Oh well. 'Tis good!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Time for my holiday beer report. :rolleyes:

I found two good places for beer lovers to check out. The first is on Detroit Avenue in Westlake not too far from Crocker Park. Real nice selection here but the best part about this place is the customer service. They ask questions about what you like and make suggestions. They convinced me I would like Denver Pale Ale by Great Divide and they were spot-on. Delicious English Pale Ale! You can check out their website at finewinewestlake.

The second place is the Wine Reserve of Medina, right on 18 as you head toward town off 71. They don't have a huge selection here, but a very nice one with some breweries you don't see everyday. Best part about this store is that every 12 ounce beer may be purchased as a single. I made my own 6 pack here and had a couple from breweries that I hadn't tried. I had a RJ Rockers First Snow Winter Warmer and a Cellar Rats Rat Tail Ale. Both good.

One you might want to avoid is the Labatt Variety Pack that contains Marzen, Porter, Red Lager and Brown Ale. I took a flier on purchasing this one, hoping it would be a pleasant surprise. It wasn't.