The Beer Thread

K92

Charlotte Beer Website

The above link is a website that covers local beers here in Charlotte. The second article is a book about local brewing some of you may enjoy. NC is becoming quite a haven for brew houses. There seem to be a lot popping up around Asheville in particular. Some people are taking tours of the various cities and the beers they have to offer.

Enjoy the website.

Great Lakes new beer May 10th

Market Garden has developed an ESB called "2," while Great Lakes is crafting an altbier called "5." The brewers then merged parts of both recipes for "25th Street Pale Ale," a rep for Great Lakes tells us.

Could this inspire any ZN members to brew a new beer for this years tailgate season? :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

247560_10200147970125432_795031965_n.jpg

First of all, let me just say that I have totally bought into the craft beer in a can trend. I wish all breweries would invest in a can line.

I got these 2 after the Spring Game. I went to the new Winking Lizard/Lizardville in Montrose which was totally packed to the gills. So much better location than Ghent Road.

I tried 3Beans first...

WOW. Incredible. A Baltic Porter with 10% ABV & 85 IBUs. Smooth. Not boozy at all. If you like coffee beers, you have to try this one. Highly impressed! First beer I have tried from Sixpoint, but I definitely want to try more now.

Next was the Secret Stache Stout from Finch's. It was an injustice to this beer to have to follow the the 3Beans. It was a sweet low-alcohol stout that was enjoyable, but I wish I could have waved my magic wand and had another 3Beans. I will have to try it again sometime by itself.

• 2 weeks later...

I may be late to the game on this one, but since it's a PA beer, Giant Eagle carries it. Love it!

Troegenator Double Bock

troegs-beer-troegenator.jpg

I finally found a Thirsty Dog beer that I enjoyed. I had a Cerberus Belgian Tripel at Russo's Restaurant last week. Not bad.

Rosewood Grill in Hudson has Ommengang BPA on tap right now.

BTW: It's American Craft Week :cheers:

7 don't-miss U.S. beer fests

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Toured GL brewery last week. Second tour in 10 years. Ten years ago if memory serves correctly, they had 12 employees, today 66. Its a very nice tour if you have time, the tour guide is super knowledgable and filled with corny jokes. No oatmeal stout Keener. Had the milk stout though, maybe that is what you meant. It was average. Tried the Wright Pils, I liked it for a guy that's not a huge fan of pils. My favorite is still Glockenspiel.

So as much as I used to say I wasn't a fruit beer fan, I am now. I like enough to say that I am. Had a 21st Amendment Hell or High Watermelon Wheat at Rays last week. Delicious.

21-watermelon-wheat.png

Edit: DO NOT buy this in cans! Major difference between tap and can. Major. This should be bottled.

• 2 weeks later...

Some recommendations:

Stone Imperial Russian Stout

Stone Expresso Imperial Russian Stout

(Try both)

Uinta Dubhe Imperial Black IPA

Sierra Nevada Narwhal Imperial Stout

Fat Heads Gudenhoppy Pils

Southern Tier Live

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA

All of these were delicious and I would definitely buy again.

I was in Columbus for some training in May and I visited some local breweries...

Columbus Brewing was a pretty dumpy place, but had an outstanding beer, Sohio Stout. They need to bottle and distribute the stuff. Put me in mind of the OBC's Steel Valley Stout.

Elevator Brewing is housed in a magnificent old building on High Street, but the beer I had there was anything but. Dirty Dick's Nut Brown was not good. Sour. Reminded me of that bomb that Anchor made, Breckles Brown.

North High Brewing was a neat little place in an old corner post office. No food, but a killer stout on tap.

The guys at North High gave me directions to walk east through a not very nice neighborhood to try out Seventh Son Brewery. I risked my life to get there. They were closed. I hate Columbus.

A few weeks ago I visited Millersburg Brewing. I had the sampler of all their beers including a couple of porters. My favorite was the wheat, if that tells you anything. Not worth the trip.

From Millersburg, I decided to drive to Wooster to check out the brewpub there that goes by JAFB. I had the coffee porter which was ok, but was REALLY coffee heavy and I had the Wayne County Stout that was just plain awful. They named the place right. Just another effin brewery. Not worth the trip either. The coolest thing there was the automatic glass washer.

I am really looking forward to going to Hoppin Frog sometime this summer. Anyone been there yet?

• 2 weeks later...
I may be late to the game on this one, but since it's a PA beer, Giant Eagle carries it. Love it!

Troegenator Double Bock

troegs-beer-troegenator.jpg

My son gave me a sixpack of these tonight, so I'll look forward to trying them. We also stopped at the MELT in Independence and had the Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier on tap --> excellent!!!!

DZ84 picked up a few of these the other day:

KON_Fire-Rock_bottle-pour.jpeg

I'm not sure if this is a hint of desired vacation destinations, but I'm sure Z.I.P. would approve!

It's a pretty tasty, pale ale. I give it a 4.5 out of 5. Nutty, dry, mildly hoppy.

JZ, Nice to see you enjoying Hawaii's latest intro to the Zip State! I know this happens to be one of 72Roos' favorites! :D Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Hofbräuhaus brewery coming to Cleveland I hope it's as nice as the one in Pittsburgh, and nicer than the one in South Beach.

An $8.4 million project proposed for downtown Cleveland's theater district could marry a Hofbräuhaus, a 400-year-old German institution, with the Hermit Club, a century-old private club dedicated to amateur performing arts.

Cincinnati Restaurant Group, Inc., which built the nation's first licensed Hofbräuhaus 10 years ago, plans to wrap a restaurant and entertainment venue around the Hermit Club, at the northern edge of PlayhouseSquare. Sketches show a 660-seat hall and a 1,000-seat beer garden facing Chester Avenue, off Dodge Court.

13130811-large.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Zipgrad01 expanded my horizons last Saturday when he poured me a glass of this.

m219920838.jpg

99 on RateBeer

I bet Dr. Z likes this one. I am going to have to try more Belgians and develop a better taste and appreciation for them. This was certainly a fine beer, but was probably a little complex for my simple palette. Gives me something to work on! :lol: