The Beer Thread

K92

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I recently travelled to Houston, Texas and was able to visit 8th Wonder. They are a small draft-only brewery with a small tasting room at the production facility. We had a nice time and I would recommend it to anyone in the area. The Rocket Fuel Vietnamese Coffee Porter was truly world-class.

f604f6f646aa0d7597f068c4350eff81_640x640

Also while in Houston, I was able to visit the downtown Spec's location. What a great place. Not only for their fantastic beer selection, but for the liquor, wine and specialty foods not to mention the party supplies. You could literally spend hours in there. It was there that I was finally able to score some Blakkr that I smuggled into the Mecum auction in a Starbucks frappuccino cup.

d124b7544b27cc45bf4081078d1fbfc3_640x640

You gotta be creative. We got there early enough that we parked fairly close to the arena and it was worth the short walk out to the rental car and our makeshift cooler to get a refill. It sure beat $12 Bud Lights, I'll tell you that.

A little closer to home, I was at the Winking Lizard in Montrose last weekend and they had a beer that has been on my try list for a long time:

48505efa06da26bd3cb9c43cf3d25063_640x640

Cheers!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hoppin' Frog gets a mention in ESPN on the Senators bet

Sherrod Brown of Ohio and Barbara Boxer of California, have their own sudsy bets. Brown is wagering beer from Hoppin' Frog Brewery made in Akron, the hometown of Cavaliers superstar LeBron James against Boxer's California-brewed beer and roasted coffee. The loser must pay off the bet while wearing a jersey from the other team

• 3 weeks later...

NEO Best Craft Brewery.

1. Great Lakes Brewing Co., Cleveland, 28.47 percent.
2. Fat Head's Brewery, North Olmsted, Middleburg Heights, 27.63 percent.
3. Platform Beer Co., Cleveland, 9.26 percent.
4. The Brew Kettle, Strongsville, 8.57 percent.
5. Portside Distillery and Brewery, Cleveland, 7.83 percent.
6. Brick and Barrel, Cleveland, 4.43 percent.
7. The Cleveland Brewery, Cleveland, 4.38 percent.
8. Hoppin? Frog, Akron, 3.42 percent.
9. Thirsty Dog Brewing Co., Akron, 3.19 percent.
10. Lager Heads Brewing Co., Medina County, 2.83 percent.
-dce6cde075b50b32.JPG
Who's going to try the new JoPa beer?!?! Will any Zip fan alter the art for the 2017 game?
The Duquesne Brewing Company says Monday it's rolling out a brew honoring the late Penn State football coach. The Vienna-style lager available in mid-August will come in 12-oz. cans featuring Paterno's image and accomplishments. The brewery says it's working with Paterno's family on the beer. A portion of proceeds will go to charities they support.

NEO Best Craft Brewery.

1. Great Lakes Brewing Co., Cleveland, 28.47 percent.
2. Fat Head's Brewery, North Olmsted, Middleburg Heights, 27.63 percent.
3. Platform Beer Co., Cleveland, 9.26 percent.
4. The Brew Kettle, Strongsville, 8.57 percent.
5. Portside Distillery and Brewery, Cleveland, 7.83 percent.
6. Brick and Barrel, Cleveland, 4.43 percent.
7. The Cleveland Brewery, Cleveland, 4.38 percent.
8. Hoppin? Frog, Akron, 3.42 percent.
9. Thirsty Dog Brewing Co., Akron, 3.19 percent.
10. Lager Heads Brewing Co., Medina County, 2.83 percent.

I respectfully disagree with this list. There are many opportunities for criticism, but I will just throw one out. . .

Where's Willoughby? Any place that makes a beer as good as willoughby-peanut-butter-cup.jpg and gets left off a best of list that includes Lager Heads is a real head scratcher.

Anti-Lake County bias, I guess.

• Like 1

Who's going to try the new JoPa beer?!?! Will any Zip fan alter the art for the 2017 game?

The Duquesne Brewing Company says Monday it's rolling out a brew honoring the late Penn State football coach. The Vienna-style lager available in mid-August will come in 12-oz. cans featuring Paterno's image and accomplishments. The brewery says it's working with Paterno's family on the beer. A portion of proceeds will go to charities they support.

"Molester-enabler Vienna Lager"?

I'd rather drink the overflow from a Mardi Gras sewer that support that sicko.

"Molester-enabler Vienna Lager"?

I'd rather drink the overflow from a Mardi Gras sewer that support that sicko.

They are brewing the wrong style for such a tribute. Shoulda been Turnablind IPA.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Been a while since anyone updated this thread. Some good beer showed up in Lot 9 Saturday.

d61127a8d01897fe58efe93d1faa7b7d_640x640

Platform Esther was totally legit. Something different in a Christmas beer.

58e674151715b07e4f1d1cf04a5cbce2_640x640

DIPA from Dayton Beer Company. Excellent.

e710b52ec8e5b891f67fa509efa4eaac_640x640

Ermal's from Warped Wing, also out of Dayton.

9a816ac451b1a50a732f952bcc18c1a7_640x640

We even had some DIPA from L.A. brought back from a Zips Tailgater business trip.

All were delicious. Thanks to those who allowed me to sample. Zips fans sure do share the wealth.

There have also been some fantastic homebrews showing up on game days. I have sampled 2 different DIPAs, Saison, Oatmeal Milk Stout, Hefeweizen, to name a few that were very high quality.

Lastly, if anyone is interested in a road trip to a brewery, Hoof Hearted in Marengo is worth a drive. Fun place.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...