The Beer Thread

K92

5 hours ago, Dr Z said:

Drink some Hofbräuhaus with KD and coach Bowden.

hof_beer.jpeg

I saw something the other day that said Akron is closest place to watch a division 1 football game from Cleveland (duh). A lot of the alumni are there. Glad to see them marketing the area and would like to see more of it from UA in general. I hate when I go to an Indians game and see Toledo advertising.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks ZippyRulz

I visited my nephew and his wife in Munster IN over the weekend and he took me to a local brewery called 3 Floyds and I had an Arctic Panzer Wolf Pilsner that was freakin' awesome, plus high % content and I got buzzed on just 2!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr Z said:

I can recommend 3 Flyods Alpha Klaus on tap at your local Winking Lizard. 

Really??!!  Someone said they saw a 3 floyds at Ray’s in Kent a while ago when I told them about it.  Wow!  I am psyched now...maybe they’ll have zips toledo on tomorrow evening....thanks Doc

I go to Ray's Place a lot in the summer, but never in the winter. I know they had some sort of IPA 3 Flyods on tap this summer. I'm not an IPA fan, so it went in one ear, and out the other. They did have Old Speckled Hen on tap this summer. Probably my favorite english ale. 

This Ray's list says it was updated 1/1/18, but I know they get new things weekly. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2018 at 6:55 AM, Dr Z said:

I go to Ray's Place a lot in the summer, but never in the winter. I know they had some sort of IPA 3 Flyods on tap this summer. I'm not an IPA fan, so it went in one ear, and out the other. They did have Old Speckled Hen on tap this summer. Probably my favorite english ale. 

This Ray's list says it was updated 1/1/18, but I know they get new things weekly. 

Hey there Doc...I found myself in Munster IN last night on business and found the 3 Floyds Brewhouse.  Wow!  Rather strange place but had a blast.  Obscure music all on vinyl, some decent pub food, and best of all some great beers.  First went with the Behemoth, a delightful Barley Wine with lots of hops and a caramel taste, pretty strong %.  Then went to a Yum Yum,  a solid paleale, and finished off the evening with a Lazersnake.  Hotel was half a mile away so the drive back was mercifully short.

9 minutes ago, ZipsVoice said:

Hey there Doc...I found myself in Munster IN last night on business and found the 3 Floyds Brewhouse.  Wow!  Rather strange place but had a blast.  Obscure music all on vinyl, some decent pub food, and best of all some great beers.  First went with the Behemoth, a delightful Barley Wine with lots of hops and a caramel taste, pretty strong %.  Then went to a Yum Yum,  a solid paleale, and finished off the evening with a Lazersnake.  Hotel was half a mile away so the drive back was mercifully short.

ZV, my favorite FFF:

Three-Floyds-Blot-Out-the-Sun-Imperial-Sthree-floyds-moloko-stout-2010.pngThree-Floyds-Pig-Destroyer-Pale-Ale.png

Hopefully I get to try this some day:

Three-Floyds-Dark-Lord-Imperial-Stout-la

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm not much of a beer expert, but I know what I like when I taste it.  If you are in the Carolinas for whatever reason, Foothills is popular with those who like craft beer. Www.foothillsbrewing.com/

Edited by GP1

45 minutes ago, GP1 said:

I'm not much of a beer expert, but I know what I like when I taste it.  If you are in the Carolinas for whatever reason, Foothills is popular with those who like craft beer. Www.foothillsbrewing.com/

Well some of us might have gone to the Carolinas next month....

I guess there's always Myrtle Beach ?️

3 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

Well some of us might have gone to the Carolinas next month....

I guess there's always Myrtle Beach ?️

Stay clear of South Carolina breweries. I've never had one I liked. Charleston is one of the great food cities in the world and I think as good as the food is, the breweries are that bad. 

Myrtle Beach?  That's where you go to drink 30 Coors Lights per day. It's about time for those of us who live here to start our off season visits. 

• 2 months later...
On 1/4/2018 at 3:01 PM, ZipsVoice said:

Thanks ZippyRulz

I visited my nephew and his wife in Munster IN over the weekend and he took me to a local brewery called 3 Floyds and I had an Arctic Panzer Wolf Pilsner that was freakin' awesome, plus high % content and I got buzzed on just 2!

Just had a 3 Floyd's zombie dust pale ale at olde jaol tavern in Wooster ... highly recommended!

• 3 months later...
On 5/4/2012 at 10:57 PM, K92 said:

Although I hated to miss the spring game, I had a really nice beer trek while on vacation in Florida.

First place I went was Total Wine and they had an unbelieveable selection of singles, which I promptly made 3 sixers from. I was a little disappointed there weren't more Florida brews available, but there were quite a few labels I have never seen in Ohio, so it was nice. This store is huge. Picture a supermarket full of wine and beer, ONLY. Pretty cool.

The second place I was lucky enough to visit was Mr. Beery's "a craft beer bar". I took advantage of the Monday Happy Hour Special. 3-8 P.M. All you can drink unlimited drafts for 10 bucks. Amazing!

The third place was World of Beer. I wish I could have spent more time here, as it was a great experience. The bartenders are more like your own personal beer consultants. They ask a lot of questions and make suggestions. They advertised over 500 kinds of bottled beer. I didn't count them, but they did have a lot.

I also got to sample some other various treats at restaurants, but these were the big 3 experiences.

Now for the list from worst to first...(with the beer advocate links if any sound interesting)

"Would not try again."

Holy Mackerel Mack in Black

Widmer Brothers Pitch Black IPA

Blue Point Blueberry Ale

Leavenworth Boulder Bend Dunkelweizen

Full Sail Session Black Lager

Fort Collins Chocolate Stout

Ballast Point Barmy Ale

Brooklyn Mary's Maple Porter

"Solid. Would have another."

Spaten Dunkel

Anchor Bock

Ballast Point Reef Rye Brown

Red Brick Laughing Skull Amber

Clown Shoes Lubrication American Black Ale

Belfast Bay McGovern's Oatmeal Stout

Lost Coast 8 Ball Stout

Terrapin Rye Pale Ale

Bell's Hell Hath No Fury Dubbel

Kona Koko Brown

Young's Double Chocolate Stout

Mad River Serious Madness Black Ale

St. Peter's Cream Stout

Cigar City Cubano Style Expresso Brown

Ipswich Original Ale

Coronado Idiot IPA

Highland Black Mocha Stout

Cigar City Ligero Black Lager

Blue Point Hoptical Illusion IPA

Terrapin Hopsecutioner IPA

Oskar Blues Old Chub Scotch Ale

Terrapin Moo-Hoo Milk Stout

"Deeeeeeeee-licious!"

Red Brick Porter

Ballast Point Sculpin IPA

Cigar City Jai Alai IPA

Cigar City Maduro Brown

I am sure some of these may be available in Ohio, but all were new tries for me.

Cigar City is in Tampa and was the most widely available craft beer where I was in Sarasota.

I was told to avoid the Sarasota Brewing pub, so I skipped that.

The one thing I was looking the most forward to finding was The Funky Buddah's Maple Bacon Porter, but they didn't distribute to the Gulf Coast. :(

A good Florida IPA I found (recently) on tap at Chili's near Gainesville. Probably only available in that area. Hoppy but not as extreme as most IPA's.

https://swamphead.com/beer/big-nose-ipa/

Edited by ZippyRulz