The Beer Thread

K92

A new bar opened in the Merriman Valley last week called the Beer Haus. It is owned by an Akron grad Bill Bleuter. If you get a chance stop in. I think they have about 100 different beers, but are open to suggestions for additional.

They've also go Das Boot!

There is or was a Beer Haus in Canal Fulton, any idea if this is the same guy?

I'm pleased to report that I found a holiday beer I like more than the famed GLBC Christmas Ale.... Ohio Brewing Company's Jingle Bell Ale. picked a six pack up a few weeks ago and tried to make it last as long as possible. Such a great taste. If I didn't know better I'd say they used chocolate in the brewing process but it is a really good beer.

I'm pleased to report that I found a holiday beer I like more than the famed GLBC Christmas Ale.... Ohio Brewing Company's Jingle Bell Ale. picked a six pack up a few weeks ago and tried to make it last as long as possible. Such a great taste. If I didn't know better I'd say they used chocolate in the brewing process but it is a really good beer.

Where did you pick up the 6 pack, if I may ask? I was able to sample Jingle Bell Ale on tap at the party OBC threw in their Selle St production facility around Halloween, but I've had zero luck finding it at a few Giant Eagles and Acmes.

That's an interesting guess on the secret ingredient, BTW. I believe the flavor you're tasting is vanilla.

Where did you pick up the 6 pack, if I may ask? I was able to sample Jingle Bell Ale on tap at the party OBC threw in their Selle St production facility around Halloween, but I've had zero luck finding it at a few Giant Eagles and Acmes.

That's an interesting guess on the secret ingredient, BTW. I believe the flavor you're tasting is vanilla.

I actually picked it up at the Giant Eagle on Howe(which has a great microbrew selection now that they redid the place) but it was about 3 weeks ago.

I think Jingle Bell Ale is the best product OBC has put out, but I'll take Twelve Dogs of Christmas over it every day of the week. I actually bought a six at the Dairy Zone (not the Dairy Mart mind you) in Northfield on Rt. 8.

I loved JBA but their Steel Valley Stout is one of my favorite Stouts I've ever had.

I actually picked it up at the Giant Eagle on Howe(which has a great microbrew selection now that they redid the place) but it was about 3 weeks ago.

I loved JBA but their Steel Valley Stout is one of my favorite Stouts I've ever had.

Thanks! :wave: I like Steel Valley as well. I hope to see them bottle a bigger selection before too long. Zip Hop Ale is a great double IPA they brewed once or twice when they had the brew pub. Alternative Amber was also a favorite of mine. I think I heard them say O'Hoppy Ale would be bottled soon.

Thanks! :wave: I like Steel Valley as well. I hope to see them bottle a bigger selection before too long. Zip Hop Ale is a great double IPA they brewed once or twice when they had the brew pub. Alternative Amber was also a favorite of mine. I think I heard them say O'Hoppy Ale would be bottled soon.

I work literally across the street from OBC and love the smell of the barley in the afternoon when I leave and they are brewing... They were supposedly getting growlers in, I would get one of those in a heartbeat.

I work literally across the street from OBC and love the smell of the barley in the afternoon when I leave and they are brewing... They were supposedly getting growlers in, I would get one of those in a heartbeat.

I still have my old OBC growler from the brew pub. Hopefully with the new Ohio law allowing for brewery tasting rooms without a 2nd ($4,000/year) permit, I'll be able to fill it there again before long. The law doesn't go into effect until March 19 however :cheers:

I still have my old OBC growler from the brew pub. Hopefully with the new Ohio law allowing for brewery tasting rooms without a 2nd ($4,000/year) permit, I'll be able to fill it there again before long. The law doesn't go into effect until March 19 however :cheers:

you should still be able to get it filled there! But regardless, that is exciting. I will definitely be popping over there after work weekly once they open the tasting room. I've been to Thirsty Dog's once but that was only to pick up a six pack of Old Leghumper since I was unable to find it at either drive through on Exchange, I've been meaning to go back there sometime.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw a new label today in the singles section, so I bought one to try.

Newcastle-Founders-Ale.jpg

Nice English Pale Ale here. Nothing special about it. Smooth drinking. Recommend.

Speaking of brew from Great Britain...

Have you ever been a fan of a certain style, then tried a certain brand that just KNOCKED YOUR SOCKS OFF? Happened to me last weekend. I have been liking porters more and more recently and thought I had a pretty good idea of what to expect when trying a label new to me. Then I tried a Samuel Smith Taddy. Wow. Perfection. I could picture myself diddy bopping into an English pub with this on tap and quaffing down about 10 pints. It is that good.

SAMUEL-SMITH-TADDY-PORTER.jpg

A new bar opened in the Merriman Valley last week called the Beer Haus. It is owned by an Akron grad Bill Bleuter. If you get a chance stop in. I think they have about 100 different beers, but are open to suggestions for additional.

They've also go Das Boot!

Oh! How was it in there?

I haven't been in there yet, but I noticed from the buzztime site that they are carrying the trivia, which is a fun diversion of mine.

A friend of mine mentioned that they found Beer Haus had the trivia, and my first question was, why wasn't it named Bier Haus?

Have you ever been a fan of a certain style, then tried a certain brand that just KNOCKED YOUR SOCKS OFF? Happened to me last weekend. I have been liking porters more and more recently and thought I had a pretty good idea of what to expect when trying a label new to me. Then I tried a Samuel Smith Taddy. Wow. Perfection. I could picture myself diddy bopping into an English pub with this on tap and quaffing down about 10 pints. It is that good.

Okay I'm definitely curious. Where did you find this?

Saw a new label today in the singles section, so I bought one to try.

Newcastle-Founders-Ale.jpg

Nice English Pale Ale here. Nothing special about it. Smooth drinking. Recommend.

Speaking of brew from Great Britain...

I've tried a couple Samuel Smith's before and have been underwhelmed to be honest. One of which was the Oatmeal Stout. I might have to try the Taddy Porter though.

JBA is the best beer made in ohio...there i said it.

I bought four six-packs at Giant Eagle in december (may have been the last four of the season) and I intended to try to make them last a few months...drank the last one on Saturday night. :CK_brew:

Anyway, i'd highly recommend it.

Have you tried this yet Keener (from a lot 9 discussion we had)?

404146740_74cef8be6e.jpg

No, I haven't, but I take it made the "K.Y.S.O" list? I will have to pick it up next time I see it. It comes in a 4 pack with the little goat charms, right?

@AK RAUDI

I have only tried the Nut Brown and Taddy Porter from Sam Smith, but I thought both of those were best of class.

There appears to be a couple of chinks in the armor of Great Lakes Christmas Ale's stranglehold of "best xmas ale". R4R44 and AK RAUDI are proclaiming the supremacy of JBA and I heard a few rumblings from others (not just UAZIPSMAN) who preferred 12 Dogs. Very interesting!

I tried some New Belgium Snow Day Winter Ale on tap while dining in Richmond, VA last night. I don't know if it is distributed in Ohio. Recommend. LINK

Also had some Brown Ale from Legend. Nothing special, but worth a quaff if you get around the area. LINK

I've tried a couple Samuel Smith's before and have been underwhelmed to be honest. One of which was the Oatmeal Stout. I might have to try the Taddy Porter though.

Not much of a beer drinker myself -- I've gravitated to late harvest sauvignon blancs lately (lol), but the Liquor Collection where I shop has the biggest selection in town/the isle, and they give a 100 score to Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout. Also to North Coast Brewing (Arcata, CA) Old Rasputin Imperial Stout. Anyone ever try those?

Not much of a beer drinker myself -- I've gravitated to late harvest sauvignon blancs lately (lol), but the Liquor Collection where I shop has the biggest selection in town/the isle, and they give a 100 score to Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout. Also to North Coast Brewing (Arcata, CA) Old Rasputin Imperial Stout. Anyone ever try those?

Me neither:)

However I like just classic Budweiser from time to time. It's awesome.

Just finished the aforementioned Taddy Porter. it wasn't that bad but I don't think I would have it again. Didn't suit my tastes in porters.

I am, however, currently enjoying a Hoppin Frog "Mean Manalishi" Double IPA. Reminds me a lot of my favorite IPA, Stone Ruination which I may enjoy later if I feel like having a hangover tomorrow :P

Just finished the aforementioned Taddy Porter. it wasn't that bad but I don't think I would have it again. Didn't suit my tastes in porters.

I am, however, currently enjoying a Hoppin Frog "Mean Manalishi" Double IPA. Reminds me a lot of my favorite IPA, Stone Ruination which I may enjoy later if I feel like having a hangover tomorrow :P

Sorry to hear Taddy Porter didn't do it for you. I tried a Left Hand Fade to Black Pepper Porter this weekend.

Left%20Hand%20Fade%20to%20Black%20Volume%202%20Smoked%20Baltic%20Porter.jpg

Didn't care too much for it.