The Beer Thread

K92

Anybody planning on going?

ix-beer-fest-575-e1336151609590-200x200.jpg

I went to the Friday session. I was disappointed that there weren't more U.S. craft brewers there. Only about half the exhibitors were in that category. 3 Floyds was a no-show. :(

The Ohio contingent was strong, though with a lot of solid brews. At the top of my list was Willoughby Brewing's Peanut Butter Cup Coffee Porter. Mind blown.

• 2 weeks later...
I just wanted to take the time to give thanks to Akronnnnnnnn for inspiring me to try and cultivate a taste for stout. I have been trying as many as I come across in the singles section and when I have a broader base to report on, I will do so. I will say to anyone who has been turned off to stout because of Guinness...STOP!! I tried Guinness on numerous occasions at bars with friends and never got the taste and naively put all stouts in that basket. Thanks to some of the reviews on here about the style, I decided to branch out and I am happy. There is a lot more to the style than Guinness.

haha glad I could be of assistance to you! and I agree with what you said ^^ Guinness is not a very good example of stouts honestly.

Although I hated to miss the spring game, I had a really nice beer trek while on vacation in Florida.

This post clearly took a long time to complete. Thank you for it! I don't think I've heard of let alone had most of those beers! If I'm ever down south I'll look into those IPA's you listed.

So I haven't posted in a while, but I have tried a few beers over the last few months. Nothing significant enough to mention though.

I stopped by Lizardville in Bedford Heights on Saturday. I saw on their website that they had 3 Floyds Gumballhead on tap, so since I was in the area, I had to stop. It was a terrible mistake. An error. A false post made on their website. THEY HAD NO SUCH BEER ON TAP! I was saddened, but continued to peruse the shelves of beer. I was trying a really different Coffee Stout from a Wisconsin Brewery called Hinterland when one of the bartenders came up behind me and set in front of me the last bottle of 3 Floyds Blackheart Seasonal English IPA. Needless to say, the bomber went home with me. I'm not a huge IPA fan, but this one was delicious. Very balanced for an IPA. Aged on toasted oak. I wish Akronnnnnnnn was here to try it with me!

535841_3535565471271_403741779_n.jpg

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26/41716

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I had 2 bottles of local IPA's this weekend. I had Fat Head's Head Hunter and Brew Kettle White Rajah. Although I am no hop head. I really liked White Rajah. Head Hunter was a bit extreme for me. (I know, I'm a wimp) Head Hunter is the only thing FH has put into 12 oz. bottles so far. I vote they do Bean Me Up next. :rock:

I got an email from FH on Friday that they had 3 Floyds Apocalypse Cow and Arctic Panzer Wolf bombers available, so I was going to buy one of each to cellar until tailgate season to share with some of the lot 9 hop heads. No such luck. There were sold out within 2 hours of the email bomb. :(

Just got back from a long holiday weekend. Got to try some new brews at The Publick House.

Got to try the Belgian Double White. Worth picking up IMO.

The Imperial Porter was just average.

Stay clear of Secret Ale.

The Abbot 12 was the winner for me. Awesome!

fileupload895103267.jpg

PS All these were on tap there. If your on the island, it's a nice place to stop, food was very good. If you see a bottle of Abbot 12 sold locally, let me know.

Just got back from a long holiday weekend. Got to try some new brews at The Publick House.

Got to try the Belgian Double White. Worth picking up IMO.

The Imperial Porter was just average.

Stay clear of Secret Ale.

The Abbot 12 was the winner for me. Awesome!

fileupload895103267.jpg

PS All these were on tap there. If your on the island, it's a nice place to stop, food was very good. If you see a bottle of Abbot 12 sold locally, let me know.

Awesome. Thanks for the report.

Finally stopped in to Thirsty Dog last Saturday. The "tasting room" is just a bar placed in the factory itself. They have a couple of tables set up and a few items for sale. There were some beers I hadn't seen before, like "Lock 3". Nothing special, just good beer. I did happen to see ZN.O's very own MaxZip while I was there!

One of the brewery employees came out an gave us all (about 20 people) an impromptu tour and some background on the building. Since TD has been in the building, they have expanded distribution to 14 states. They have gone from producing 5,000 barrels of beer up to 20,000 a year. At the peak of Burkhardt's popularity, they produced 100,000 barrels for Ohio and near the borders of the surrounding states. Burkhardt owned 100 bars that sold their products. Pretty neat history lesson. It's great Thirsty Dog has rehabbed the old brew house.

If you are in the area with a little time to spare, it is a worthwhile visit.

Finally stopped in to Thirsty Dog last Saturday. The "tasting room" is just a bar placed in the factory itself. They have a couple of tables set up and a few items for sale. There were some beers I hadn't seen before, like "Lock 3". Nothing special, just good beer. I did happen to see ZN.O's very own MaxZip while I was there!

One of the brewery employees came out an gave us all (about 20 people) an impromptu tour and some background on the building. Since TD has been in the building, they have expanded distribution to 14 states. They have gone from producing 5,000 barrels of beer up to 20,000 a year. At the peak of Burkhardt's popularity, they produced 100,000 barrels for Ohio and near the borders of the surrounding states. Burkhardt owned 100 bars that sold their products. Pretty neat history lesson. It's great Thirsty Dog has rehabbed the old brew house.

If you are in the area with a little time to spare, it is a worthwhile visit.

Thirsty Dog had some great beers. Imagine finding Keener at a brewery...what are the chances. The tasting room is open Saturdays and you can get $8 growler fills on Thursdays. Stop by and taste the local brew.

• 3 weeks later...

ABJ Beer Blogger asks OBC owner Chris Verich a few questions

My wife and I stopped at the OBC tasting room at their production facility on Selle St between Broadway and Main the other night. We really enjoyed it, as they can now focus on the thing they do best and that is brew flavorful beer. Prices are not cheap ($4 per pint for most beers), but the product is pretty good. They also fill growlers for (I believe) $10.

On the distribution front, they're now bottling all of their own beer that is currently sold in supermarkets. They HAD been farming a lot of this work out to Elevator Brewing in C-Bus, but now they have a brand new bottling machine to handle capacity. I've been enjoying a Witbier Seasonal (Buckeye Blonde) all summer long :)72977.jpg

ABJ Beer Blogger asks OBC owner Chris Verich a dew questions

My wife and I stopped at the OBC tasting room at their production facility on Selle St between Broadway and Main the other night. We really enjoyed it, as they can now focus on the thing they do best and that is brew flavorful beer. Prices are not cheap ($4 per pint for most beers), but the product is pretty good. They also fill growlers for (I believe) $10.

On the distribution front, they're now bottling all of their own beer that is currently sold in supermarkets. They HAD been farming a lot of this work out to Elevator Brewing in C-Bus, but now they have a brand new bottling machine to handle capacity. I've been enjoying a Witbier Seasonal (Buckeye Blonde) all summer long :)72977.jpg

The OBC tasting room is on my to-do list. I have only had their Jingle Bell Ale & Steel Valley Stout. Maple Porter sounds promising. Good stuff, JZ.

The OBC tasting room is on my to-do list. I have only had their Jingle Bell Ale & Steel Valley Stout. Maple Porter sounds promising. Good stuff, JZ.

You should have hammered me for my typo "dew questions" instead of "few questions" :lol:

IIRC, you're not a huge hop-head. So their Cardinal Ale might be a nice place to start.

You should have hammered me for my typo "dew questions" instead of "few questions" :lol:

IIRC, you're not a huge hop-head. So their Cardinal Ale might be a nice place to start.

I just figured you probably had a dew beers before posting. ;)

No, I am not a big hop-head, but I got caught up in the cult of 3 floyds tonight...

327690_3802964516080_329178508_o.jpg

Pretty odd pair to find at a farm market. I will try and be brave and do the hop-heads proud when I pop the cap on the Imperial IPA.

3 Floyds Dreadnaught comes in at 99 ibu's, so I was not optimistic I would like the beer, not being a big fan of the extremely hop-forward IPAs. It was extremely smooth and drinkable for being really large on the alcohol and hops side. It actually tasted quite balanced. I am going to try and score another bottle for the UCF game so some of you can sample. Check out the reviews...http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26/1558

I did not open the Voodoo Doughnut. I am going to heed the advice given by a reviewer.

Rogue had a neat idea with this one, but I think the odds were stacked against them to make this an actually drinkable beer. It looks nice and smells nice. The maple and bacon come straight through and even if it's not as great as real maple and bacon, the fact that it's in a beer can be commended. However, the taste and feel is kind of watery. The smoky flavor is there, and it also tastes like a doughnut, but it's not as rich of an overall flavor as they could have provided. I think the fact that they made this beer is both hilarious and creative, but it's definitely a novelty product you might want to buy and split with several friends. That way, you can all say you tried it, but you didn't have to stomach more than a few ounces.

Come August 30th, you are going to have to try the good with the bad. You have to be a sport. I tried the Iron City Light Mango last year! :D

ive been told the doughnut tastes like pancakes and maple syrup. Havent heard if anyone liked it or not.

I've had it. The people I was with thought I was nuts buying something so expensive in a pink bottle.

I wouldn't buy it again. The maple tastes artificial.... like that fake maple flavor in McGriddles. Yes I know it says "natural flavors" on the bottle. Oddly enough, I enjoy a mcgriddle with coffee occasionally, but the flavor doesn't work in beer IMHO

Come August 30th, you are going to have to try the good with the bad. You have to be a sport. I tried the Iron City Light Mango last year! :D

Indeed you did! I will give the Bacon/Maple a try. BTW, I'm bringing a Bell's Cherry Stout on the 30th and it has your name on it :D

How does the 3 Floyds compare to Great Lakes "Lake Erie Monster"?

Indeed you did! I will give the Bacon/Maple a try. BTW, I'm bringing a Bell's Cherry Stout on the 30th and it has your name on it :D

How does the 3 Floyds compare to Great Lakes "Lake Erie Monster"?

I am looking forward to tasting that cherry stout. :)

I have tried Dreadnaught, Arctic Panzer Wolf & Blackheart from 3 Floyds and although all 3 are high in IBU, they do not taste as bitter as Lake Erie Monster to me. I don't know if it's due to different varieties of hops or what...but I would say the Dreadnaught is probably more balanced beteeen the malt & hops with more complex flavors.

Sometimes, when I drink a hoppy beer, it is not enjoyable. Fat Head's Headhunter is a good example of a highly rated IPA that was just way too bitter for me, but I have heard people say that about the 3 Floyds stuff too. Hopefully, this year we can do a lot more sharing and comparing at the tailgates.

BTW, I am down in SC, for a wedding and one of my wife's cousin's boyfriends is from Kalamazoo, so we had a really nice talk about Bell's and craft beer in general. Also, I went to Total Wine looking for some goodies and saw Hoppin Frog & Thirsty Dog on the shelf.

I am looking forward to tasting that cherry stout. :)

I have tried Dreadnaught, Arctic Panzer Wolf & Blackheart from 3 Floyds and although all 3 are high in IBU, they do not taste as bitter as Lake Erie Monster to me. I don't know if it's due to different varieties of hops or what...but I would say the Dreadnaught is probably more balanced beteeen the malt & hops with more complex flavors.

Sometimes, when I drink a hoppy beer, it is not enjoyable. Fat Head's Headhunter is a good example of a highly rated IPA that was just way too bitter for me, but I have heard people say that about the 3 Floyds stuff too. Hopefully, this year we can do a lot more sharing and comparing at the tailgates.

BTW, I am down in SC, for a wedding and one of my wife's cousin's boyfriends is from Kalamazoo, so we had a really nice talk about Bell's and craft beer in general. Also, I went to Total Wine looking for some goodies and saw Hoppin Frog & Thirsty Dog on the shelf.

Fred manages to get his goodness just about everywhere.

I can thank my better half for this tasty Southern Tier double IPA I've been enjoying while watching the olympic closing ceremonies:

Product%20-%20Southern%20Tier%202xipa.preview.jpg

It is indeed full of hops, but it's somehow very light with a hint of lemons making it extremely drinkable.