The Beer Thread

K92

...you are going to have to try the good with the bad. You have to be a sport. I tried the Iron City Light Mango last year! :D
I made bacon infused vodka one time to make martinis with. Wasn't a fan.

I tried this on vacation this year and was actually able to drink two bottles. I say I'm not a fruity beer fan, but I'm starting to think I'm lying to myself since I'm also enjoying many Summer Shandy's this year. PS If anybody can explain to me why it is "illegal" for someone in Summit County to buy a keg of Summer Shandy at Superior Beverage, I'm all ears...

2665407279_03b9f1ed2b.jpg

I made bacon infused vodka one time to make martinis with. Wasn't a fan.

I tried this on vacation this year and was actually able to drink two bottles. I say I'm not a fruity beer fan, but I'm starting to think I'm lying to myself since I'm also enjoying many Summer Shandy's this year.

I'm the exact same way. I always said that fruit doesn't belong in beer and had been repulsed by those I had tried in the past. However, I also like Summer Shandy.

Maybe some of them are just getting better at it?

I don't know a lot about brewing, but my suspicion is that they ruin beers by putting the fruit in too early, but if they blend the right ingredients in last, the beer was made intact and it stands up. Just a theory.

Take it from me, the Voodoo is terrible. Nothing about it tastes like beer honestly. I got two bottle for my birthday two weeks ago and I drank part of one with my dad. Need to find a few people to drink the other one with.

Here's a list of stuff I've drank over the past few months:

So. Tier Oak-Aged Imperial IPA - too much for me. Tasted less like beer and more like whiskey

Epic Brewing Galloway Porter - wonderful beer, I plan on getting another one sometime. Highly recommended.

Bell's Two Hearted Ale - nothing incredible to speak of. Just a good, mild IPA.

So. Tier Iniquity Black Ale - same as above, nothing mind-blowing, but pretty mild and easy to drink

So. Tier 2XIPA - nice double IPA... Strong, just how I like them, but still not overbearing.

So. Tier Crème Brülée Stout - very very sweet stout with strong caramel flavoring. Relatively difficult to drink an entire bottle.

Boulder Beer Co. Flashback Black IPA - pretty easy to drink, nothing great, nothing bad.

Founders Devil Dancer - my first triple IPA. Strong, but still drinkable. I enjoyed it.

Ale Smith Yule Smith(summer) IPA - highly rated(on BeerAdvocate) double IPA. I wasn't knocked off my socks by it but it was still good.

Founders Porter - very easy to drink. Recommendable Porter.

Arcadia Ales Hopmouth Double IPA - nothing to write home about with this one. I probably wouldn't get it again.

Pyramid Outburst Imperial IPA - enjoyable imperial IPA. I would pick this one up again.

So. Tier Hop Sun - with a name like "hop sun" you would expect an IPA, right? Not here. This is a wheat ale. I generally don't like wheat beers, but this one was drinkable. Still, I don't think I'd get it again.

Great Lakes Rye of the Tiger Rye IPA - I've been seeing a lot of these Rye IPA's around and have heard good things about them. This one was pretty good. I got a growler of it from my local Acme. I enjoyed it.

I might try to get into home-brewing this fall. I'd really like to,mat least. Maybe I can bring sme home brews out before the football season ends.

Good to see Akronnnnnnnn back! Thanks for the report.

I have heard nothing but good things about Southern Tier. I had the 2X Stout and liked it. Now you and JZ are testifying to some of their other styles, I am going to have to try them.

Probably the best beer I have been drinking this summer is Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout. Love it.

Glad to hear that Dr. Z liked the PBCC Porter. It's probably not for everybody, but I really like it.

The 2nd bottled offering from Fat Head's is out...

Bumble-Berry-Label.png

I am still crossing my fingers for bottled

beer_glass_da_BMUICS.png

or at least

beer_glass_bsa_sbsdsa.png

as a consolation prize. :)

Also, I went to the Portage Lakes beer store today. Pretty nice selection. Check it out sometime.

Belgium beers are my favorite, I stopped at Sharpe Edge before the Pirates game Saturday. If you enjoy Belgium beer like I do, and your in the Burg, try it out. Food was tasty too. I will definitely go back!

I'm with you. Does New Belgium Brewery from Ft. Collins, CO, make its way east to you? They make several american style brews including Fat Tire, but you might enjoy their Abbey. I haven't tried any of their offerings that disapointed me. Maybe Belgo a little. Its labeled as a Belgium style IPA. The Belgium yeast did not come through for me; however it is a real nice IPA, and I like IPA's.

Good to see Akronnnnnnnn back! Thanks for the report.

I have heard nothing but good things about Southern Tier. I had the 2X Stout and liked it. Now you and JZ are testifying to some of their other styles, I am going to have to try them.

Probably the best beer I have been drinking this summer is Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout. Love it.

Yeah I have been away but not from the drinking scene! lol

So. Tier is full of great beers. Their pumpking ale is really good as well

My favorite beer from this summer has to be the Epic Galloway Porter. I need to get my hands on another bottle soon.

Glad to hear that Dr. Z liked the PBCC Porter. It's probably not for everybody, but I really like it.

The 2nd bottled offering from Fat Head's is out...

I am still crossing my fingers for bottled

or at least

as a consolation prize. :)

Also, I went to the Portage Lakes beer store today. Pretty nice selection. Check it out sometime.

I'd like to try something other than Headhunter from Fat Head's, but every time I go I can't bring myself to sway from the classic lol

I need to get down to Portage Lakes Brewing Co(thats what you mean, right? They don't brew beer but they sell it?) sometime. In the meantime, check out the Acme on Manchester Road. That's where I got the growler of Rye of the Tiger, and they had some other good selections.

My beer selections for tailgate #1 had a definite Indiana theme going. Here are my suggestions if you are travelling west:

upland_nuthugger.jpg

Good and nutty.

THREE-FLOYDS-ROBERT-THE-BRUCE-SCOTTISH.jpg

I am not very familiar with this style. Although tasty in the bottle, much better on tap.

THREE-FLOYDS-GUMBALLHEAD-WHEAT.jpg

I am usually not a fan of wheat beer, but this isn't your normal wheat. Another one that was much better on tap.

flat-12-hello-my-name-is-amber.jpg

Usually amber ales are pretty sticky sweet but this one has a nice hop wallop.

barley-island-barfly-ipa.jpg

Barley%20Island%20Blind%20Tiger.jpg

Both of these Barley Islands were solid. Looking forward to trying more of their stuff.

• 1 month later...
I had a birthday this week that just happened to coincide with Oskar Blues Ohio debut. These may be two of the best presents I ever received...

Ten-FIDY-with-glass-smaller-300-dpi.jpg

Beer Advocate 95/100

tumblr_m8z53484zg1qd0elpo1_r1_500.jpg

Beer Advocate 90/90

Both of these will blow your mind that something this good pours from a can.

They do a nice job, I really enjoyed my first Dale's Pale Ale. I will have to look for these two.

Yo, Akronnnnnnnn.

Nice little assortment there. And no, I have never had the opportunity to sample anything from Russian River. Looks like you gave been making some sweet trades, you dirty dog. I am jealous.

I picked up Founders Breakfast Stout and I really like it other than the lack of carbonation. It tastes great. I totally messed up though...My wife had to travel to Battle Creek on business 2 weeks ago and I forgot to have her look for the Kentucky and Canadian Breakfast Stouts. D'oh!

I liked One Eye Jack and Gonzo. Especially Gonzo.

You have impeccable taste, sir!

P.S. Is the Pliny as good as advertised?

They do a nice job, I really enjoyed my first Dale's Pale Ale. I will have to look for these two.

Good stuff, for sure. Dale's is next in my list to try. I didn't think I would, but I am digging the can.

I didn't make it up to Willoughby Brewing's Oskar Blues tap takeover last week, but they had 'em all on draft.

• 2 weeks later...
Today was International Stout Day. I observed the day with

troegs-javahead-stout.jpg

You?

Oh the head on that reminded me of Tarwebok (which I can't get anymore), but obviously tarwebok wasn't a stout so the body was lighter. But even with many porters/stouts the head is usually lighter than this

Yo, Akronnnnnnnn.

Nice little assortment there. And no, I have never had the opportunity to sample anything from Russian River. Looks like you gave been making some sweet trades, you dirty dog. I am jealous.

I picked up Founders Breakfast Stout and I really like it other than the lack of carbonation. It tastes great. I totally messed up though...My wife had to travel to Battle Creek on business 2 weeks ago and I forgot to have her look for the Kentucky and Canadian Breakfast Stouts. D'oh!

I liked One Eye Jack and Gonzo. Especially Gonzo.

You have impeccable taste, sir!

P.S. Is the Pliny as good as advertised?

how do you know I haven't been traveling to and from Cali?? :lol:

Glad you appreciate my taste. I like to think it is pretty good.

The Pliny was pretty amazing. I didn't think so the first one I had, but the second one was incredible. So good.

had this last night

04f0f0822e1211e29fe522000a1f97ce_7.jpg

Gulden Draak looks like something I would like to try.

Hazelnut Brown Nectar is heavenly!

Dr. Z, Akronnnnnnnn & all other ZN.o beer lovers... can we agree now to get together for the MAC basketball tournament and sample some good beers? Let's make it happen.

I had these tonight...

598478_4195880978746_1278472216_n.jpg

Dr. Z, Akronnnnnnnn & all other ZN.o beer lovers... can we agree now to get together for the MAC basketball tournament and sample some good beers? Let's make it happen.

consider it done! How was the FatHeads Christmas Ale??? I have never had it. Excited to get Ohio Brewing Co's Jingle Bell Ale!

I picked up a 4 pack of these as per your suggestion Keen!!

My fancy pic:

8cfa7c522ec411e2859c22000a9f0a20_7.jpg

Love how thick it pours. Just like a good stout should!!