The Beer Thread

K92

Anyone have any good suggestions for IPAs? Looking to widen my IPA palette. My favorites have to be Dogfish Head 60 & 90 as well as Sierra Nevada Torpedo. GLBC Commodore Perry, Harpoon, Goose Island, & Frankenmuth are a few others I've tried that I like, but just don't blow me away.

Been enjoying reading through these threads!

I am not nearly the hop head that some of these other guys are. I like a little more balance. I would suggest Brew Kettle's White Rajah and I like Blackheart & Dreadnaught from 3 Floyds. You might want to try Bells Hop Slam if you can find it.

Beer Advocate replaced the top 100 list with a top 250 list...and Pliny no longer occupies the top spot.

2388412-heady_topper.jpg

Heady Topper takes over #1.

Pliny the Elder tops the list on the new "Beers of Fame" list, which has different stipulations:

Respect. 100 classic brews with 2000+ ratings and 2+ years on BeerAdvocate.

I like the HOF list because there are fewer obscure beers and more acquirable ones. How many have you tried?

http://beeradvocate.com/lists/fame

http://beeradvocate.com/lists/top

• 2 weeks later...

Due to the proximity to our South Beach apartment, and beer selection, I tried Becks Sapphire last week. Doesn't rate very well, but I thought it tasted pretty smooth. Worth a six pack try IMO. Beer selection in the north seems so much better than the south IMO. Although I have never had a good mojito in Ohio (compared to South Beach). ;)

BECKS_SAPPHIRE.jpeg

Was visiting family in Greenville, SC last week and had a couple really good beers. The first was a Bell's Hopslam. For hopheads like me it is an outstanding beer. The other was a Highland Cold Mountain Winter Ale that was incredible. It's a regional brewery in the NC area and it was incredible. If you're ever in the area in the winter months I'd definitely recommend it!

I had a chance to do a blind taste test of Lagunitas Sucks vs. Bell's Hopslam. I thought the beers were very similar, but chose Hopslam in a close contest. You gotta love Sucks, though. Only costs about half as much.

On my last trip to PLBC, I picked up a couple of goodies...

223439_4701791466192_1454217494_n.jpg

I am glad I picked up the Behemoth,as it was big and bold like all the other 3 Floyds offerings, but it was a little boozy for me. Barleywine is a style I have very little experience with, although I think the style name might have more to do with alcohol content than flavor. Not worth the $18 price tag. (For me)

Nugget Nectar is so solid. So good. It is almost all gone, so get some if you see it. If not, you will have to wait until next February. :(

Then, I got the best surprise...

527886_4714574945771_2009945189_n.jpg

Some friends of mine went to Wisconsin and brought me back Dirty Old Man. What a treat. Porters and stouts have become my favorite styles and this one is KILLER. Tyranena isn't distributed in Ohio yet, but if you get to anyplace where it is available, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND! There is nothing else I have tasted that compares to it. It is incredibly unique. EXQUISITE!

I had a chance to do a blind taste test of Lagunitas Sucks vs. Bell's Hopslam. I thought the beers were very similar, but chose Hopslam in a close contest. You gotta love Sucks, though. Only costs about half as much.

I am glad I picked up the Behemoth,as it was big and bold like all the other 3 Floyds offerings, but it was a little boozy for me. Barleywine is a style I have very little experience with, although I think the style name might have more to do with alcohol content than flavor. Not worth the $18 price tag. (For me)

Nugget Nectar is so solid. So good. It is almost all gone, so get some if you see it. If not, you will have to wait until next February. :(

Some friends of mine went to Wisconsin and brought me back Dirty Old Man. What a treat. Porters and stouts have become my favorite styles and this one is KILLER. Tyranena isn't distributed in Ohio yet, but if you get to anyplace where it is available, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND! There is nothing else I have tasted that compares to it. It is incredibly unique. EXQUISITE!

Loooove the PLBC, they have some pretty fun pint glasses too, once you buy 10 craft packs

I'll keep my eye out for that Tyranena too

Loooove the PLBC

+1. I usually find a couple of goodies there every trip. Large selection for a small store. It is one of my go to spots along with Brunswick Buehler's, Gary's Liquor in Wooster & Wayne's Country Market in Mansfield when I need a suds fix. Now, if I didn't live so far away from Red, Wine & Brew... :D

Hoppin' Frog has been getting a bit of noteriety lately for being the World's 17th rank brewery by ratebeer.com

I recently consumed a Hoppin'Frog Hopped-Up GooseJuice and then a Hoppin'Frog Oatmeal Imperial Stout, which were vurrrr nice!

However it served to raise my mouth's expectations for quality, because I subsequently opened a Sam Adams Cream Stout, and immediately exclaimed "Blech!".

Now, I have had Sam Adams' Cream Stout once before and I thought it was rather enjoyable for a Sam Adams. I just have to remember not to have it after Hoppin Frog.

Now, if I didn't live so far away from Red, Wine & Brew... :D
I think the same sometimes....then I think, wow it's the good thing I don't live close to Red, Wine & Brew. :lol:

Johnny, if you like Franziskaner in the bottle, you'll love it on tap. I know the Lizard in Macedonia has it all the time, I can't recall if the other ones do. :wave:

I think the same sometimes....then I think, wow it's the good thing I don't live close to Red, Wine & Brew. :lol:

Johnny, if you like Franziskaner in the bottle, you'll love it on tap. I know the Lizard in Macedonia has it all the time, I can't recall if the other ones do. :wave:

Thanks for the heads up, good Doctor :wave: I'll check the one in Jackson when I'm over there.

My girlfriend picked up the Nugget Nectar last night at the Montrose Acme, I haven't had it yet, but around 5 today before the Bracketbuster I'll delve into a couple, very excited!!! Go Zips!!

• 3 weeks later...

Now I enjoy IPA's, but I generally have to be in the mood to fully appreciate that flowery hop explosion of a double. The latest offering from Great Lakes, however, is an amazingly smooth double IPA that is one of those truly dangerous brews (9.4% ABV but goes down so easily). You need to try one if you get a chance.

Alchemy.png

• 2 weeks later...