Clayton Moore Transitions from JUCO to DI-A

Blue & Gold

Moore is getting regular reminders and daily lessons about just how difficult the transition can be to an NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision program.“This is way different up here. The biggest difference is the throwing window. You have to be so precise,” Moore said. “Another difference is the multiple coverages you see. Defenses do so much more up here.”
This doesn't sound like somebody that was ready to come in and start and give the team the best chance to win. :unsure:The fans get to suffer through his learning curve? Is that fair to us? We better get a payoff in the end.

Moore is getting regular reminders and daily lessons about just how difficult the transition can be to an NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision program.“This is way different up here. The biggest difference is the throwing window. You have to be so precise,” Moore said. “Another difference is the multiple coverages you see. Defenses do so much more up here.”
This doesn't sound like somebody that was ready to come in and start and give the team the best chance to win. :unsure:The fans get to suffer through his learning curve? Is that fair to us? We better get a payoff in the end.
We have been discussing this for several weeks haven't we? The coach makes the choice to start the QB who has never thrown a pass in DI. The kid has never played in Ianello's system which requires the QB to be able to stand in the pocket,see over/around linemen,throw crossing routes etc,etc etc. Nicely was not ready to be a dropback/pocket passer last year. He was better in the 'gun'. So due to a coaches decision the team has to go through another QB who does not seem to fit well in the offensive system. Maybe some flexibility is needed on the part of the staff to better use the talent that is on the team.

A little selective quoting and interpretation, Dr Z? The way I read it is that any juco QB who didn't admit the same thing Moore did after his first two D1A games against MUCH stronger opponents would be fooling himself.These are the quotes I think best represent Moore:“Being a competitor, it hurts. It burns,” Moore said. “There isn’t a day or night go by that I don’t think about it. I am always asking if I could have helped my team more. Being the quarterback, I take a lot of responsibility to score. When we put up three points in two weeks, I don’t like it. I put a lot of pressure on myself. “I am not used to losing, and I hope nobody on the team thinks it’s OK to lose, just because it is Ohio State.”

He got us 3 points in 2 games. If I were him I would have stayed in Juco, I'm sure the coaches are smarter there...
Against Temple and OSWho. ....when we played Temple last year, we were SHUT OUT !!....when we played OSU last time, our Offense was SHUT OUT !!So, as I keep saying all along, please explain to me why we are any worse off because we're taking a chance with a new QB to see if we can turn things around?

He got us 3 points in 2 games. If I were him I would have stayed in Juco, I'm sure the coaches are smarter there...
Against Temple and OSWho. ....when we played Temple last year, we were SHUT OUT !!....when we played OSU last time, our Offense was SHUT OUT !!So, as I keep saying all along, please explain to me why we are any worse off because we're taking a chance with a new QB to see if we can turn things around?
I'm also concerned about Moore's completion percentage. 42.9% is pretty terrible. Isn't a low comp % the reason we replaced Nicely?
Nicely's results in games against Temple and Kentucky last year reveal the following(aggregate):1. Completion %........... 42.2%2. Yard per throw......... 4.243. Yards....................... 191 4. TD............................ 05. Interceptions............ 1I think it would be moronic to compare Moore's first 2 games (against the 2 best teams on the schedule) with Nicely's complete season last year. Is anybody really suggesting that?? In a comparison of like games last year (not Nicely's first 2 games) show that Moore is right where Nicely was after 10+ games starting under his belt.

Not sure coparing Nicely last year with Moore this year is really telling. Ianello pulled his chosen QB 2 and1/2 games in to the season. Ianello chose to play Moore even though Moore had no experience in Ianello's offense or at the DI level. Moore as much as said he was not expecting what he has seen during the first 2 games. Now he goes into the 3rd game and Ianello decides that his QB needs to be yanked. Ianello brings in Nicely who had a year of experience in the offense and 2 years at the DI level. Nicely had actually performed pretty well as a freshman under a different coach and in a different system. But Ianello didn't give him a chance to see if a year in his system would help Nicely improve.Realizing this team has other problems besides the QB,you sure have to wonder if Ianello thought Moore was going to step in and take over the offense without any experience. Makes me wonder what kind of decision making is going on at the top.

I cannot defend the Lone Ranger after the disaster that he had today in the first half. But Nicely isn't the answer. He had 12 games to prove himself in this system and he didn't. This QB controversy will divide the handful of Zips fans that are left.

I think everybody can agree, that we need better play at the QB position no matter who it is. You can't give the other team gift points and expect to compete.At this rate, this will be my most financial beneficial betting year ever. 3 for 3 slam dunks! Thanks Rob.

Would it be fair to say that we don't have an offensive line that can protect a pocket quarterback?Everyone will get intercepted if they have to stand there and get hit while throwing, or if the defense gets in close enough to tip the ball.LR8 seems somewhat mobile. Maybe we need to abandon the "pro" offense and make the game more fluid.

Would it be fair to say that we don't have an offensive line that can protect a pocket quarterback?Everyone will get intercepted if they have to stand there and get hit while throwing, or if the defense gets in close enough to tip the ball.LR8 seems somewhat mobile. Maybe we need to abandon the "pro" offense and make the game more fluid.
okay what about the pick 6's he just chucks it up just like he did in juco that wont get it done here

okay what about the pick 6's he just chucks it up just like he did in juco that wont get it done here
What is your relation to Nicely? Seriously. They're equally terrible, but we've already seen almost two full seasons of Nicely terrible. I'd like at least a half season of Moore terrible before I call for the other awful guy.

What is your relation to Nicely? Seriously. They're equally terrible, but we've already seen almost two full seasons of Nicely terrible. I'd like at least a half season of Moore terrible before I call for the other awful guy.
+ 1

So, akron football, could you please expand a little on how you've reached the irrevocable conclusion that Nicely is clearly superior to Moore.You say that the only reason Nicely can't get more completions is because the receivers drop his passes. Would this not apply equally to receivers dropping Moore's passes?Or, if receivers are catching passes from Moore and dropping similar passes from Nicely, what's the reason? Is it that Moore's throws are weak and Nicely's are too hot for them to handle? Is it that they like Moore and want to catch his passes and don't like Nicely and deliberately drop his passes?Seriously. I'm open to hearing your rationale for posting all the one-liners about Nicely = good, Moore = bad.I'm really open to any thoughtful arguments.

So, akron football, could you please expand a little on how you've reached the irrevocable conclusion that Nicely is clearly superior to Moore.You say that the only reason Nicely can't get more completions is because the receivers drop his passes. Would this not apply equally to receivers dropping Moore's passes?Or, if receivers are catching passes from Moore and dropping similar passes from Nicely, what's the reason? Is it that Moore's throws are weak and Nicely's are too hot for them to handle? Is it that they like Moore and want to catch his passes and don't like Nicely and deliberately drop his passes?Seriously. I'm open to hearing your rationale for posting all the one-liners about Nicely = good, Moore = bad.I'm really open to any thoughtful arguments.
I don't know if Nicely has gotten a fair shot in a game this year to prove his stuff. Today I think it was a case of giving Moore time to get his head straight but in that time, Nicely seemed to be doing OK. Why pull him and put Moore back in right away? Honestly, I think our O-Line is so bad that RI thinks we NEED to have Moore in there to give the QB position an additional dimension. Like some of the preseason stuff said, Nicely might not make as many mistakes but Moore can make things happen. Maybe those mistakes caused the blowout today? Deep down, part of me also wonders if RI's ego is kicking in here and Nicely won't see the field until the game is out of hand or Moore gets hurt?I hope the game next week helps this team build some confidence. I think Moore should still be the starter but Nicely should also not be on such a short leash. Until today Moore seemed to do a pretty good job of keeping those "DOAH" moments in check. If mistakes become a problem, Nicely should be given a chance.

Dave...I am so disappointed in you. It is right in front of you and you can’t see it!!!. NICE does = good. Nicely is a nice guy and therefore GOOD. Moore has been a bad guy and therefore BAD. There is no real statistical evidence that supports that claim so that must be it.Seriously... I thought Nicely would have started the season. But I assumed Moore would have taken over before the Cincy game or after as I assumed the outcomes would have been the same and it would be a good time for the change. Moore could come in as the "white knight" with a clean slate. But I think they went with Moore because they believed his development would be faster if he played. The game will surely slow down for him next week. Today was an abortion...no excuses. I hope he can recover. One thing is for sure...they have little to no confidence that Nicely can get the job done. It must be difficult for him...he does seem like a nice guy. If he wants to play, I would transfer after this year. But...I can't find fault with their thinking as I do not believe Nicely is accurate and does not have the leadership qualities needed (and please spare me the "leads by example" comments). If Moore is as good as many thought...he will figure it out. If not...this will be a long year. To be honest...I did not think we would win any of the first 3 games. I did think we would be far more competitive. The biggest disappointment has been the O-line. I was sure the skill position would far exceed what people thought on this forum (and almost all thought they would be weak). But I was not aware of the problem on the O-line. Hopefully they can improve because little, if any, improvement will come in the QB position if they do not.I wish our by week was after the VMI game. We need time to heal after these last 3 games and to regroup. FIU is stronger than expected and Ohio is too. Ohio likes to run the ball and I thought our improves front 7 could contain them for a win. Now...I am not sure. They are stronger than expected and we are weaker than I expected...and we have some injuries. It really in imperative that we get at least 5 victories or recruiting will be difficult.I still support ICoach and will thru this year. I have season tickets and will continue to buy them even when I return to Bali. $120 per ticket is not that much to support my team and school. I don't get all the complaints about ticket prices. ICoach may not have been my first choice and he may have been (or still is) over his head. But he is MY coach now and I do believe he is bright enough to figure it out. It is in the UofA's best interest for ICoach to succeed and I still believe he will. But these first 3 games have been brutal...especially the last 2.

I don't know if Nicely has gotten a fair shot in a game this year to prove his stuff. Today I think it was a case of giving Moore time to get his head straight but in that time, Nicely seemed to be doing OK. Why pull him and put Moore back in right away? Honestly, I think our O-Line is so bad that RI thinks we NEED to have Moore in there to give the QB position an additional dimension. Like some of the preseason stuff said, Nicely might not make as many mistakes but Moore can make things happen. Maybe those mistakes caused the blowout today? Deep down, part of me also wonders if RI's ego is kicking in here and Nicely won't see the field until the game is out of hand or Moore gets hurt?I hope the game next week helps this team build some confidence. I think Moore should still be the starter but Nicely should also not be on such a short leash. Until today Moore seemed to do a pretty good job of keeping those "DOAH" moments in check. If mistakes become a problem, Nicely should be given a chance.
OK?? OK??? he was 1-6 with 7 yards and an interception I wish people would have the same standards and expectations for Moore.

OK?? OK??? he was 1-6 with 7 yards and an interception I wish people would have the same standards and expectations for Moore.
I think he had 5 DROPS so if you add those in its 6-6 with one interception,,and that was from stepping up and being hit when releasing the ball. Everyone was ALL OVER The LONE RANGER saying how he was going ot save this team. Well he hasnt. He has now seen what Nicely had to go through last year getting sacked and dropped balls,, but CM is still making mental mistakes. Coach I I bet was hoping CM would do good and he could blame last season on PN7. Looks like Coach I is the one who laid the egg,, Poor play calling, poor coaching, poor motivation by COACH I. Give PN7 the start this next week and see what happens. What can you expect with NICELY when he gets demoted to 2nd string and then all of a suden you throw him in the the #1 receivers. Let Lone Ranger go sit on hsi horse this week and lets see how Nicely does things. he has had time to sit an observe. HE didnt have that luxury last year because there was no depth at QB.. Hang in there PN7 They way RI has screwed you over by pushing the Lone Ranger, then putting you into Temple with a few minutes left, and then throw you in for a few series and take you out this past week,, You get a VIP pass into Heaven,,because you have already been thru hell. And another thing DOES ANYONE every go to the COACH I lunch meetings, I would be GLAD to see how he spins this

Would it be fair to say that we don't have an offensive line that can protect a pocket quarterback?Everyone will get intercepted if they have to stand there and get hit while throwing, or if the defense gets in close enough to tip the ball.
No, Unfortunately I think its more than that.

I think he had 5 DROPS so if you add those in its 6-6 with one interception,,and that was from stepping up and being hit when releasing the ball. Everyone was ALL OVER The LONE RANGER saying how he was going ot save this team. Well he hasnt. He has now seen what Nicely had to go through last year getting sacked and dropped balls,, but CM is still making mental mistakes. Coach I I bet was hoping CM would do good and he could blame last season on PN7. Looks like Coach I is the one who laid the egg,, Poor play calling, poor coaching, poor motivation by COACH I. Give PN7 the start this next week and see what happens. What can you expect with NICELY when he gets demoted to 2nd string and then all of a suden you throw him in the the #1 receivers. Let Lone Ranger go sit on hsi horse this week and lets see how Nicely does things. he has had time to sit an observe. HE didnt have that luxury last year because there was no depth at QB.. Hang in there PN7 They way RI has screwed you over by pushing the Lone Ranger, then putting you into Temple with a few minutes left, and then throw you in for a few series and take you out this past week,, You get a VIP pass into Heaven,,because you have already been thru hell. And another thing DOES ANYONE every go to the COACH I lunch meetings, I would be GLAD to see how he spins this
6-6 with one interception?? I am guessing you were not a math major huh??