NCAA Quarterback Rankings (2005)

rln

:D John Blair, a guest writer from NFLDraftBlitz.com, ranks Charlie Frye as the #2 QB for the upcoming 2005 season.

Early QB Rankings for 2005

With most people just starting to gear up for the 2004 NFL Draft, I have decided to give you a sneak preview of the 2005 NFL Draft. I will start with the QB’s.

Top 5 Guys

1. Kyle Orton Purdue 6-4 223

Orton is the top pure pocket passer in the 2005 draft, evident by the fact he completed 61% of his passes and average more then 200 passing yards a game. If he was in this years draft I think he would challenge Ben Roethlisberger for the chance to be the second QB taken in the draft.

2. Charlie Frye Akron 6-4 215

I am higher on Frye then most people are, mainly due to the fact he has been very productive. In 2003 he threw for 3,549 yards and 22 TD’s. In 2002 he had three games of over 300 yards passing, which is a school record. One more thing I like about Frye is the fact he is on the Deans list.

3. David Greene Georgia 6-3 230

Greene has been a very solid NFL prospect since the first day he stepped on the field evident by the fact he was named SEC freshman of the year in 2001. I also like the fact Greene is very active in the community.

4. Andrew Walters Arizona State 6-5 222

Most people are higher on Walters then I am, but he has yet to show me he is a great NFL prospect. In fact he has looked very average against great defenses like Iowa’s. He also completed fewer than 54% of his passes in 2003. I still think Walters could be a top 10 pick next year, but he defiantly needs to have a better senior year then he had as a junior.

5. Chris Rix Florida State 6-4 217

Rix is a very athletic player, and can make plays both as a passer and as a runner. He also has very good size, and has a strong arm. He needs to improve his decision making though.

I think a lot of Frye's success will depend on how the team fares next year. He did not get the attention he deserved because his team did not know how to win big games. With this new staff, I'm not sure how things will go on the field. Charlie is losing three great receivers to graduation and also needs to learn a new offense. I'm not expecting great things next year with the tougher schedule we have. Miami, Northern Illinois, Marshall, and Virginia are guaranteed losses. UCF, Penn State, and Can't State (if Cribbs is back) will all be tough ones. It will be interesting to see what happens anyway. Charlie will be in the NFL regardless, but it all depends on where he is drafted. We have to earn respect before we can get it. I'm not going to get myself excited over next year because we have been disappointed too many times. I will believe it when I see it.

I'm not expecting great things next year with the tougher schedule we have.  Miami, Northern Illinois, Marshall, and Virginia are guaranteed losses.  UCF, Penn State, and Can't State (if Cribbs is back) will all be tough ones. 

Well it took about 2 months .. but we're already mailing in the season?!!

I personally expect this team to be better than last season .. not worse.

Let me have a sip from that half full bottle of CK's home brew.

Jeeez!

After that weak schedule we played last year, I would rather play a tough schedule.

I'm pumped for the start of the season. Don't count them out of the Penn State game so fast.

Good QB's will make good WR's. It will be very hard to replace our group of WR's from last year,

but it will be fun to watch who Charlie "makes a good wr" If Z-P says that Charlie has put on more

upper body muscle, sounds like he is real serious about the season. I hear Charlie is on board with

Brookhart's offense (as opposed to PD reports) and is watching tape constantly. I wish the season

started this weekend.

I am just frustrated over a disappointing hoops season as well as a disappointing football season. I'm sick of getting let down by underachieving teams, so I'm trying to assume the worst case of a season. Maybe they will be the big suprise MAC; who knows? There are a lot of unknowns right now. We will probably have a better idea once spring ball starts.

Everyone is dissapointed except the previous coaching staff cause they went 7-5! Its a new era. Yes it will be a new offense. Yes there will be a new running back. Yes there will be new receivers but I saw a lot of speed in those guys last year when they got a chance to play. There will be two new offensive tackles also and hopefully a lot of new defensive players to compliment Chase and the other returners.

Lets not trash the season before spring ball even starts. As ZFF says "In JD we trust"