Mitch Trubisky

I'm starting to see a lot of coverage of Mentor's Mitch Trubisky in the Cleveland papers.

His dad Dave was in several of my classes @ UA, and if there were an Akron Intramural Hall of Fame, he'd be a 1st ballot enshrinee. He was always on the flag football teams that made the National finals, and always on the top intramural hoops teams. Excellent athlete.

His son seems WAY above UA, but you never know. If I were Ianello, I'd start recruiting Mitch yesterday. His pop is a UA alum, and a big Zips supporter.

Mentor doesn't just run the spread they go the majority of the time with no running back at all. Big game this week with 6-0 Mentor against 6-0 Solon the week Mentor takes the top spot in their division ahead of St. Ed, St. Ignatius etc.

Looking forward to the game...the kid throws for the 300 plus each game.

I'm starting to see a lot of coverage of Mentor's Mitch Trubisky in the Cleveland papers.

His dad Dave was in several of my classes @ UA, and if there were an Akron Intramural Hall of Fame, he'd be a 1st ballot enshrinee. He was always on the flag football teams that made the National finals, and always on the top intramural hoops teams. Excellent athlete.

His son seems WAY above UA, but you never know. If I were Ianello, I'd start recruiting Mitch yesterday. His pop is a UA alum, and a big Zips supporter.

I should have beat you to this one, but didn't know that anyone was paying attention to this kid's numbers up at Mentor.

I hung out with Dave (the father) quite a bit when he was at school at Akron. And I have an older brother who is still good friends with him today. So obviously I took a great interest in this story.

Not only is Dave a UA alum, but he was a standout QB himself at Perry High School. I like your assessment of his Intramural ability. A lot of people were trying to convince him to try to walk on to the Akron roster.

The next time I see Dave, I plan to try to get a guage of where his son's interest are at, but I am already being told that he is a solid kid besides his ability to play football. But, putting up those kinds of numbers at a big high schools would seem to put us way out of consideration, despite the UA connection with his father.

I think you have to use every angle you can. According to his Rivals profile, he doesn't have any firm offers yet. But he's only a junior and plenty of "name" programs appear to be showing interest. Unfortunately, he looks like a much better "spread" prospect on the surface.

The PD article says he's a senior. The 6-3 senior completed 28 of 44 passes for 469 yards and three touchdowns, and had 84 yards rushing with two TDs rushing.

Let's hope SMU and Hawaii don't find him first.

I think you have to use every angle you can. According to his Rivals profile, he doesn't have any firm offers yet. But he's only a junior and plenty of "name" programs appear to be showing interest. Unfortunately, he looks like a much better "spread" prospect on the surface.

The PD article says he's a senior. The 6-3 senior completed 28 of 44 passes for 469 yards and three touchdowns, and had 84 yards rushing with two TDs rushing.

Scout Profile

ESPN coverage of last game

Nope. He's only a Junior.

• 3 weeks later...

Is anyone heading to the final game of the regular season to watch Mitch and company finish the season undefeated. This team is currently ranked number 1 in the state and no. 22 Nationally according to Max Preps.What Trivisonno has done in Mentor is nothing short of amazing. Mentor has been the biggest or one of the biggest schools in the state for a long time, but could never put together a decent football team. Trivisonno has put in a no-huddle hurry up offense that attempts to get a pass off every 17 seconds and they've gone to two State Championship games in his time there and is hoping to actually win one this year. All of this with the same type of kids that have always been there and few Div. 1 recruits. Does this in some way validate what some of us have been saying on this board for a long time...our offense is not suited to winning given our circumstances and standing in the college football world. This is not to say this would guarantee our team to be better (as witnessed by JD) but it seems like a much better plan than the one we are working on now. If Ianello has to stay I'd love to see him reach out to Trivisonno and ask him to be the offensive coordinator and bring Mentor's offense to Akron. He's making $81,000 this year so I'm sure it would be a bump in salary for him. With any luck he could bring Mitch along. By the way Mitch has 2,554 yards passing in 8 games and has seen interest from Iowa, Pitt, Minnesota and Kansas....not that these are offers, but it sure would be nice to have a guy on the inside for a QB who might be able to start for four years here who knows the offense.

If Ianello has to stay I'd love to see him reach out to Trivisonno and ask him to be the offensive coordinator and bring Mentor's offense to Akron.
This is the same as JD ditching the 3-3-5 defense for something else. It is what he set up the program to do. JD also tried a different offense and didn't do well because it wasn't what he did.Coach I was brought here to do what he is doing. It isn't fair to him to ask him to do something he may not know a lot about. We/he would be better off getting rid of him and bringing in someone different.

• 1 month later...

If we can't land Mitch, maybe we can sign Jack Snowball, who was co-winner of the offensive POY in Div 1. Us older farts might remember his dad, Dave Snowball (one time Revere QB), as the extremely young and intense DC for Lee Owens' first squads at UA. Has anyone seen Jack play? He looks like he might project better as a fullback or linebacker.

If we can't land Mitch, maybe we can sign Jack Snowball, who was co-winner of the offensive POY in Div 1. Us older farts might remember his dad, Dave Snowball (one time Revere QB), as the extremely young and intense DC for Lee Owens' first squads at UA. Has anyone seen Jack play? He looks like he might project better as a fullback or linebacker.

This article answers some questions.

I've seen him play 3 times. He is a hard nosed runner, with really good football smarts. He is probably a step slow for the big BCS schools, but he should be a good MAC player. Green played wadsworth tough for the first half of their matchup this year, but Snowball blew the game open the second half. He seems to get stronger as the game goes on. I would love to see him in a Zips uniform. I would compare him to Brian Wagner.

I've seen him play 3 times. He is a hard nosed runner, with really good football smarts. He is probably a step slow for the big BCS schools, but he should be a good MAC player. Green played wadsworth tough for the first half of their matchup this year, but Snowball blew the game open the second half. He seems to get stronger as the game goes on. I would love to see him in a Zips uniform. I would compare him to Brian Wagner.

Thanks, Hilltopper :wave: It would appear that he could very well be available whenever the new coach takes over.

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed according to the PD all area teams the last week Trubisky and Snowball were both still undecided. I think Snowball is a senior if I remember correctly so I wonder if his because of lack of offers.

I have to wonder and would be interested in hearing from Cap'n how the message of Bowden was received by Trubisky's dad yesterday. I wonder if we could find a way into the conversation with him...I believe he is currently looking at Big Ten school so it may be a long shot. He has impressive receivers though so maybe we can land some of them.

I noticed according to the PD all area teams the last week Trubisky and Snowball were both still undecided. I think Snowball is a senior if I remember correctly so I wonder if his because of lack of offers.

I have to wonder and would be interested in hearing from Cap'n how the message of Bowden was received by Trubisky's dad yesterday. I wonder if we could find a way into the conversation with him...I believe he is currently looking at Big Ten school so it may be a long shot. He has impressive receivers though so maybe we can land some of them.

Unfortunately, like a lot of my college buddies, I haven't seen Dave in almost 20 years. If I do see him on-campus, I will certainly be a responsible ZipsNation member and pose the appropriate questions. ;)

And I agree that Snowball would have a place on the Zips. Maybe only special teams...but he's a tough kid and a winner. He's the type of player we need on our team beginning next season.

Unfortunately, like a lot of my college buddies, I haven't seen Dave in almost 20 years. If I do see him on-campus, I will certainly be a responsible ZipsNation member and pose the appropriate questions. ;)

And I agree that Snowball would have a place on the Zips. Maybe only special teams...but he's a tough kid and a winner. He's the type of player we need on our team beginning next season.

I haven't seen him Dave in a couple of months. But as of last weekend, I've been told that his son has not committed to anyone.

• 1 month later...

Good for him. I hope he finishes his high school career spectacularly, and goes on to great things at Ohio State. I just bet Urban Meyer won't be his coach for the whole time he's there.

Five years is a LONG time for Urbie :)

I wonder if he's offered any 8th graders yet? :zzz:

• 1 month later...
http://www.news-herald.com/articles/2012/0...02135124412.txt

Trubisky will not be at Akron and I will not share any additional information. The kid is talented and I've seen him about a half dozen times...I'm still surprised to see these kinds of offers.

I think once OSU offered Trubisky, we all kind of figured he wouldn't be playing in Akron. Unless he suffers some catastrophic injury, which would be a shame, he will be playing in a BCS conference.

http://www.news-herald.com/articles/2012/0...02135124412.txt

Trubisky will not be at Akron and I will not share any additional information.

After reading that article, there's other information worth sharing? Seems pretty clear to me - Big schools want him, we don't get him.

I hear he was scared off by the 9 QB's we'll have in camp this summer.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

• 2 months later...
Trubisky will not be at Akron and I will not share any additional information.
Trubisky will not be at Akron (for now), and I will share additional information.

Mentor junior quarterback Mitch Trubisky narrowed his choices down to Ohio State, Tennessee, Michigan State, defending national champion Alabama and North Carolina. He visited all five of them, but it was Saturday's trip to North Carolina which sealed the deal despite the fact the 6-3, 200-pounder didn't give the Tar Heels his oral commitment until Sunday.

• 2 years later...

Seems like there might be opportunity to grab some North Carolina kids if this article leads to sanctions.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/unc-academic-and-athletic-officials-steered-student-athletes-to-bogus-classes-181214478.html

1,500 student athletes took bogus classes?

Hey Terry do us a favor and go get Mitch Trubisky and Brandon Fritts from Mentor...they'd fit your offense very well.

• 2 years later...