Over the past 2 seasons (13 home):

5 Home Games above 4,000 - 38%

3 Home Games between 3,500 & 3,999 - 23%

2 Home Games between 3,000 & 3,499 - 15%

2 Home Games between 2,500 & 2,999 - 15%

1 Home Games below 2,500 - 8%

Akron is 2nd in the nation for attendance:

yl8w.png

Attendance last night was terrible when you look at the circumstances. Our biggest conference game, homecoming with many thousands of extra visitors on campus, perfect weather, and we can't break 4k.

there are people who don't like to stand the entire game. Until they build more seating, you're going to see a variance like this. Getting the casual fan to return to the games requires proper seating.

This is a good problem to have but requires immediate attention. I hope to see further stadium expansions next year.

Also remember that OSUcks had a football game at 8.

Akron Soccer attendance is up 28% this year over last year

Penn State should bring in another 4k+

Statistically... you compare the first 5 games last year to the first 5 games this year ….or the average for ALL the games last year to ALL the games this year. Your analysis is flawed....but it probably does not make any difference. It does look like you are manipulating the data for your argument. FYI

Here is a question for you. Do you think that the Zips football team would play in front of 66% capacity if they were the defending national champions?? The Soccer team did just that last night.

Statistically... you compare the first 5 games last year to the first 5 games this year ….or the average for ALL the games last year to ALL the games this year. Your analysis is flawed....but it probably does not make any difference. It does look like you are manipulating the data for your argument. FYI

Here is a question for you. Do you think that the Zips football team would play in front of 66% capacity if they were the defending national champions?? The Soccer team did just that last night. ANSWER: No, odds of hitting 66% are small

I'm not making any argument here in this thread, just showing the numbers. Hard to see how they're manipulated when this is all we have to compare with. You have the first 5 home games this year vs first 5 last year, then you have overall. All the data is given so you can make your own statistics if this boggles your mind.

If you take only seating into account, Akron soccer is bringing in over 100% attendance for each game.

Akron football will never win more than 2 games in a season with Ianello as the coach so why play what if's? Akron Football averaged 16,132

the year after they won the MAC championship and went to the Motor City Bowl. That is only 49% of the Rubber Bowl capacity for that year.

BTW your question is flawed. You asked if Akron football would play in front of 66% capacity if they were the defending national champions. They would have to play in front of exactly 66% for the answer to be a yes. Whether they played in front of 80% or 50% wouldn't matter because exactly 66% is what you asked. It is easier to give a no answer given the odds of hitting exactly 66%.

Here is a question for you. Do you think that the Zips football team would play in front of 66% capacity if they were the defending national champions?? The Soccer team did just that last night. ANSWER: No, odds of hitting 66% are small

I'm not making any argument here in this thread, just showing the numbers. Hard to see how they're manipulated when this is all we have to compare with. You have the first 5 home games this year vs first 5 last year, then you have overall. All the data is given so you can make your own statistics if this boggles your mind.

If you take only seating into account, Akron soccer is bringing in over 100% attendance for each game.

Akron football will never win more than 2 games in a season with Ianello as the coach so why play what if's? Akron Football averaged 16,132

the year after they won the MAC championship and went to the Motor City Bowl. That is only 49% of the Rubber Bowl capacity for that year.

BTW your question is flawed. You asked if Akron football would play in front of 66% capacity if they were the defending national champions. They would have to play in front of exactly 66% for the answer to be a yes. Whether they played in front of 80% or 50% wouldn't matter because exactly 66% is what you asked. It is easier to give a no answer given the odds of hitting exactly 66%.

LOL You spent 76 words to make that argument about 66%.

There were 13 home games (in Akron) last year. No argument in THIS TREAD?? How would one know?? You have been on this attendance crusade all season.

Please don't put a list of games up and lots of data, averages and year over year increases if you ARE NOT using it to prove your point. If you expect me to do the math...let me know.

*EDIT* you used a format that does not bring your all your data to the post input section (the games table...large font). If you included the first 5 games...I missed it and apologize for that part of my post. If you edited it...good job.

There were 13 home games (in Akron) last year. No argument in THIS TREAD?? How would one know?? You have been on this attendance crusade all season.

Please don't put a list of games up and lots of data, averages and year over year increases if you ARE NOT using it to prove your point. If you expect me to do the math...let me know.

You already did......you added up the words of the last argument. LOL

Season attendance has grown, soccer is growing. What's not to like about these numbers? :NCAAC:

Season attendance has grown, soccer is growing. What's not to like about these numbers? :NCAAC:

I cheated...cut and pasted to MS Word ;-)

Nothing. I love it that soccer is doing so well. I have my Costa Rican friends in California following the Zips now because of Brenes.

But why use one Zip program as a basis to denigrate another??

Nothing. I love it that soccer is doing so well. I have my Costa Rican friends in California following the Zips now because of Brenes.

But why use one Zip program as a basis to denigrate another??

If you look at the football attendance thread, I've shown that football attendance has increased 19% this year over last year. I don't see where I'm denigrating another program.

I made an argument in that thread, which was Akron Soccer program could outdraw Akron Football. It officially did for one football game being last year against Buffalo. Overall, I gave up on this argument because it can not be proven based on official attendance. If you look at the football attendance thread, there's speculation about how they come up with that number. Because of the speculation, it's hard to take that number as a serious measure to compare with Akron soccer. So if you want to continue thinking Akron football outdraws Akron soccer, I have no argument against that. But you have to at least respect that you would have a poor argument to say Akron soccer does not outdraw Akron football based on actual butts in seats.

I'm not here to argue with you, I grew up playing American football and it's still my #1 sport. I think what we have with our soccer program is special and make observations that are unique to Akron, like attendance.

I did not edit the original chart, sorry if it created confusion. There have only been 13 home games (8 last year and 5 this year) so far over the past 2 seasons if you don't count the playoffs, which I don't.

Although official football attendance is up 19%, it doesn't represent the actual situation our football team is in. Akron soccer attendance is up 28% and does represent their situation better.

holy cow did this get out of hand. you guys are fighting over numbers. theyre all there for you to see, draw your own conclusions about them, not attack someone else because they may have presented the data in the wrong way.

we're still drawing a larger crowd this year than we did last year, and thats fact.

Attendance last night was terrible when you look at the circumstances. Our biggest conference game, homecoming with many thousands of extra visitors on campus, perfect weather, and we can't break 4k.

I'm working on a big attendance report and wanted to show you the big variance at other schools. I don't see how anyone can complain about Akron's variance after look at this:

ia7q.png

The NC stats are what I found on NC's site and I verified them by looking it up from the opposing team's site. Those are huge differences. One of the low games was on a Tuesday, so it's not because there was a football game going on at those times.

holy cow did this get out of hand. you guys are fighting over numbers. theyre all there for you to see, draw your own conclusions about them, not attack someone else because they may have presented the data in the wrong way.

we're still drawing a larger crowd this year than we did last year, and thats fact.

You know...this probably started because I misread the initial chart. But please look at what I wrote...I was not being critical. It was more for informational purposes. I am financial guy good with numbers. Initially I thought he was comparing 5 games this year with 8 last year. Statistically...it would not make a difference. My point was that if you compare 5 with 8, some may think that the numbers may be manipulated for maximum effect. I do not think it was...and in fact it was not because he did make the 5 to 5 comparison. I love Bobbyake's passion for the soccer program and wish I had not made the initial mistake. But...I do not think I was being critical of the interpretation or his posting it.

Again… Bobby I am sorry that I did not take the time to read carefully. This whole debate could/should have been avoided. The fault was all mine.

@bobbyake I'm not sure from where you are viewing the main grandstand but I can assure you they are not 100% occupied let alone over 100%. In just three rows in my section there were at least 15 no shows this past Saturday. This is not the only game with empty seats. The CSU and OSU games were the only ones without empty seats near me. Great attendance but not 100%.

@bobbyake I'm not sure from where you are viewing the main grandstand but I can assure you they are not 100% occupied let alone over 100%. In just three rows in my section there were at least 15 no shows this past Saturday. This is not the only game with empty seats. The CSU and OSU games were the only ones without empty seats near me. Great attendance but not 100%.

If you took everyone that sat on the grass or stood during the game, those seats would be filled without a problem. BTW, I'm spending time on an attendance sheet for other schools as well, I've covered the top ranked schools and it appears Akron is 2nd in the nation for attendance. UCSB is 1st averaging 5,033, and Maryland is 3rd averaging 4,093. I'll post the numbers when I'm done.

If you took everyone that sat on the grass or stood during the game, those seats would be filled without a problem. BTW, I'm spending time on an attendance sheet for other schools as well, I've covered the top ranked schools and it appears Akron is 2nd in the nation for attendance. UCSB is 1st averaging 5,033, and Maryland is 3rd averaging 4,093. I'll post the numbers when I'm done.

Of course people in GA would fill out the grandstand. Are you suggesting that the people who purchased the reserved seats are choosing to stand the whole game or sit on the grass?? The reserved seats are sold out or nearly sold out and some are choosing to not show up. That's the bottom line. The attendance is still very good. The percentage of sold seats to actual attendance is great. Much better than football. Your passion is obvious. Soccer will not be outdrawing football in paid attendance this year or the foreseeable future no matter how much you would like for that to happen. I'm not trying to sway your opinion, it appears to be set in stone. Just trying to set the record straight. :wave:

Of course people in GA would fill out the grandstand. Are you suggesting that the people who purchased the reserved seats are choosing to stand the whole game or sit on the grass?? The reserved seats are sold out or nearly sold out and some are choosing to not show up. That's the bottom line. The attendance is still very good. The percentage of sold seats to actual attendance is great. Much better than football. Your passion is obvious. Soccer will not be outdrawing football in paid attendance this year or the foreseeable future no matter how much you would like for that to happen. I'm not trying to sway your opinion, it appears to be set in stone. Just trying to set the record straight. :wave:

I have sat/stood in the grass instead of the grandstad for games this year. It happens but this is a silly argument. Enjoy the crowd and the atmosphere. I wish it cold last forever.

I have sat/stood in the grass instead of the grandstad for games this year. It happens but this is a silly argument. Enjoy the crowd and the atmosphere. I wish it cold last forever.

I think the main problem I have with this thread is that Bobbyake did not sufficiently lay out just what his argument is! Perhaps I mssed another thread where it was stated (That soccer does or COULD outdraw Am. Football?). I think that's a possible future reality, considering the "progress" the FB team is making. It's also an argument that is SO politically incorrect, you are going to have rotten veggies thrown at you if you go near some people on the FB board! :D

I think the main problem I have with this thread is that Bobbyake did not sufficiently lay out just what his argument is! Perhaps I mssed another thread where it was stated (That soccer does or COULD outdraw Am. Football?). I think that's a possible future reality, considering the "progress" the FB team is making. It's also an argument that is SO politically incorrect, you are going to have rotten veggies thrown at you if you go near some people on the FB board! :D

I started a thread in the football forum for Akron Football attendance. I did mention there that Akron Soccer has outsold last year's Buffalo game and that it is possible Akron Soccer could outsell Akron Football. I honestly thought that we would see numbers similar to the Buffalo game last year but that hasn't been the case. In fact, Akron Football attendance is up 19% this year.

I updated the first page of this thread with a chart showing attendance figures for 63 schools. I made sure to include every school that cracked the top 50 last year, and added more just to make sure that when I say Akron is ranked 2nd in the nation, it's the truth. Enjoy the numbers.

@bobbyake, great work on the attendance numbers. I know from past experience it can take up a lot of time researching good numbers.

Gotta be careful with the "butts in seats" references, though, as there aren't nearly enough seats for all the butts at soccer games. :D

The only thing better than "standing room only" from an attendance point of view would be to have all seats and standing room filled and a big SOLD OUT sign at the gate. UA soccer is at least starting to approach that, which is great news for all Zips fans.

I'm not one of the people on here predicting major soccer attendance numbers, but I was even shocked that the NIU game attendance was so low, considering that the football crowd and tailgaters were on campus all day, the weather was perfect, and the homecoming alums were all over the campus. I think a lot of that has to do with the tradition most schools have of going to the football game as a homecoming activity. Soccer obviously was not on most of those people's minds. Maybe someday there'd be interest in a soccer homecoming. You never know.

I know Bobby just wishes for soccer to become something much bigger at Akron. As a Zips fan, I hope for the same. But, as I've said many times, the lofty attendance predictions of near 5k average get competely blown out of the water when you have just a couple of bad games. NIU failed to bring in the tired football homecoming crowd, and the Penn State game was a disaster with the temps being a little cooler and a little bit of water on the ground. I can only speculate what might happen on Saturday if it's wet again, and we're playing a virtually unknown school like Hartwick, and college football games are on TV. I guess the so-called "die hards" are waiting for playoff time to jump back on the bandwagon.

To be honest, i thought attendance last night was pretty good considering the weather conditions. It wasn't packed, to say the least, but it was still a respectable showing in cold, wet weather conditions.

You think so? Just the "announced" crowd (2,500) wasn't even 1/2 the size of the biggest crowds this year, and it was against one of the biggest names on our schedule. And there were certainly quite a few no-shows, so the actual attendance was probably well under 2,000, which may have made it more like 1/4 or 1/3 the size of Ohio State or Cleveland State crowds. If people were paying attention to the forecast, they could see that the rain was ending. I was surprised and disappointed.

To be honest, i thought attendance last night was pretty good considering the weather conditions. It wasn't packed, to say the least, but it was still a respectable showing in cold, wet weather conditions.

You think so? Just the "announced" crowd (2,500) wasn't even 1/2 the size of the biggest crowds this year, and it was against one of the biggest names on our schedule. And there were certainly quite a few no-shows, so the actual attendance was probably well under 2,000, which may have made it more like 1/4 or 1/3 the size of Ohio State or Cleveland State crowds. If people were paying attention to the forecast, they could see that the rain was ending. I was surprised and disappointed.

Just inserting a little perspective: Prior to 1980, the school record attendance was "well under 2000". I bet it didn't pass 2000 till after the 1986 Final-4 trip.