Penn State

The Nittany Lions roll into town Wednesday night. Their record currently stands at 6-4-2, 0-3 in the big ten (losses to Indiana, Michigan, & Michigan State).

Item of note from the recap of their most recent match, a loss to Michigan State (4-6-2, 1-1-1) ...

"Playing without leading goal scorer Julian Cardona (Lincoln, Neb.), who was not available after being called into duty with the Puerto Rico National Team, ..."

I like our chances Wednesday night. Would like to see another big turnout, including LOTS of students on the hill. Go Zips!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey, I was thinkin about going out and "purchasing" some Penn State jerseys this week... anybody else in on this "group buy"? :D:lol:

+1 :D :D :D

Still one of the most ridiculous, classless things I've ever heard of. Love that Nano ran over to the student section after the game winner, ripped off his shirt and taunted the crowd. Typically not in favor of that type of stuff, but they totally deserved it.

hey, I was thinkin about going out and "purchasing" some Penn State jerseys this week... anybody else in on this "group buy"? :D:lol:

+1 :D:D:D

Still one of the most ridiculous, classless things I've ever heard of. Love that Nano ran over to the student section after the game winner, ripped off his shirt and taunted the crowd. Typically not in favor of that type of stuff, but they totally deserved it.

Umm, inside joke? What are you guys talking about?

+1 :D:D:D

Umm, inside joke? What are you guys talking about?

Before the game against Penn State last year in State College, some of the PSU supporters stole the Akron players' uniforms.

Story

So, do they let you carry umbrellas into the new and improved soccer stadium??

Dear Zips Fan,

We look forward to seeing you at 7:30 p.m. tonight for our men’s soccer match vs. Penn State at FirstEnergy Stadium – Cub Cadet Field.

As a reminder, umbrellas are not permitted inside FirstEnergy Stadium - Cub Cadet Field. At the stadium gates there will be public bins in which, if you so choose, you may leave an umbrella during the game.

Thank you for your cooperation. Go Zips!

Sincerely,

The University of Akron Department of Athletics

This is from an email I got today. Expect this game to have poor attendance due to weather conditions.

I'd rather it read like this:

Dear Zips Fan,

We look forward to seeing you at 7:30 p.m. tonight for our men’s soccer match vs. Penn State at FirstEnergy Stadium – Cub Cadet Field.

Unlike other sporting venues, umbrellas will be permitted inside FirstEnergy Stadium - Cub Cadet Field. We want our fans to stay comfortable and dry. We know Zips fans are intelligent enough to not block their neighbor's game-view.

Thank you for your attendance. Go Zips!

Sincerely,

Dear Zips Fan,

Unlike other sporting venues, umbrellas will be permitted inside FirstEnergy Stadium - Cub Cadet Field. We want our fans to stay comfortable and dry. We know Zips fans are intelligent enough to not block their neighbor's game-view.

Sincerely,

there's a good chance it wont rain, but it would be nice if they sold Akron ponchos at the gate

Dear Zips Fan,

Sincerely,

there's a good chance it wont rain, but it would be nice if they sold Akron ponchos at the gate

That is the answer...sell cheap ponchos with Akron logo in the front and back. I bought a rain suit for my daughter and myself for the women's soccer games. There is no way someone uses an umbrella at a highly attended game without infringing on another Zips fans sight lines. CK has been spoiled by the info where there are so few fans you could put up a tailating tent and not intrude on anybody. ;)

Ponchos are better than umbrellas all around. Ponchos are better at keeping you dry, better at not inadvertently blocking someone else's view, cheaper to buy, easier to carry folded up in a pocket, etc., etc.

Seems like a no-brainer to encourage fans to bring ponchos any time you tell them they can't bring umbrellas.

Wish I understood soccer better. I just can't understand how a team like PSU that's obviously not great can be a man down on the Zips home field and be taking all the action to the Zips' end. The Zips appear to be a skilled team, yet they're playing flat. It's almost as if they're playing conservatively for a 1-0 win, and taking a big risk that one of the PSU attacks is eventually going to score and even things up. You'd think a team of the Zips stature would be focused on putting the nail in the coffin and scoring another goal. Yet they just can't seem to get connected at the other end.

The more I watch soccer, the more confused I get!

Disclaimer: I am not an expert on soccer.

To me...I don't think the Zips are as good as we hoped they would be. They seem to have lots of talent but are not yet functioning as a TEAM at a high level. They are a dangerous team near the goal but they do not aggressively attack. I don't understand the strategy of throwing the ball in from their "10 yard line" and passing it all the way back to our goalie to reset. Is it just to take time off the clock?? I would hope that once we have the ball deep in their end that we would attack...we have creative guys who can score.

In the end...I only care that the Zips win. And they beat Penn State at home. Penn State would never consider coming to Akron in my day.