Penn State

It is difficult for me to say anything about DeAndre but I wish they would look to his side and play the ball there a lot more than they do. Often times he is there without a defender within ten yards of him but the ball gets played up the middle or he takes off down the side and no one seems to notice. I alluded to my obervation that we don't play to the outside anywhere often enough in other posts. I wish he would also try and go inside on his runs as it would open up a whole other dimension of his play.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is difficult for me to say anything about DeAndre but I wish they would look to his side and play the ball there a lot more than they do. Often times he is there without a defender within ten yards of him but the ball gets played up the middle or he takes off down the side and no one seems to notice. I alluded to my obervation that we don't play to the outside anywhere often enough in other posts. I wish he would also try and go inside on his runs as it would open up a whole other dimension of his play.

I'm sure you're pretty frustrated, yet trying no to say anything about it. Last night I had tickets for the grandstands which was a great change of view. Yedlin was constantly making great runs yet no one was passing to him. He also tried to cut inside once and he looked like he was going to get a great look at goal and then Mattocks took the ball from him as he was moving away from goal! The resulting shot was pretty poor. Really frustrating at times!

One thing that was annoying last night was the amount of substitutions Penn State used. I know it was due to the red card, but this might of been partly the reason our boys couldn't take over the game down the stretch in the second half being up a man. Penn State used 17 different players in 19 substitution situations. (3 before the Red card). Akron made 2 substitutions (1 due to Barson's injury for 5 minutes). So in reality Akron would've only used 1 sub.

Similar matches were Cal Northridge and Cal Poly(lots of subs used)

Just goes to show Porter prepares and develops his players for the next level.

Are there any substitution retrictions in college soccer?? I thought the rules were similar to international rules.

Nope, unlimited substitutions. However, a player cannot re-enter a game in the same half that he left in.

EDIT: No re-entry in the first half - One re-entry in the second half

I wish I knew for sure -- I thought it was the opposite -- no re-entry for second half. Can someone find the actual rules on line? -- I've looked and can't find.

If you start second half you can be subbed out and come back in. If you sub in in second half and then come out you are finished for the game.

No. You are allowed one RE-ENTRY in the second half. You can come in at any point, exit, and re-enter. You don't have to start the second half.

Anyone can then enter in the OT period, but you cannot re-enter either time.

One thing that was annoying last night was the amount of substitutions Penn State used. I know it was due to the red card, but this might of been partly the reason our boys couldn't take over the game down the stretch in the second half being up a man. Penn State used 17 different players in 19 substitution situations. (3 before the Red card). Akron made 2 substitutions (1 due to Barson's injury for 5 minutes). So in reality Akron would've only used 1 sub.

Are there any substitution retrictions in college soccer?? I thought the rules were similar to international rules.

Nope, unlimited substitutions. However, a player cannot re-enter a game in the same half that he left in.

I wish I knew for sure -- I thought it was the opposite -- no re-entry for second half. Can someone find the actual rules on line? -- I've looked and can't find.

If you start second half you can be subbed out and come back in. If you sub in in second half and then come out you are finished for the game.

No. You are allowed one RE-ENTRY in the second half. You can come in at any point, exit, and re-enter. You don't have to start the second half.

Well we know for sure that it isn't NO reentry in the second half, since Barson came out and then went back in last night.

Well we know for sure that it isn't NO reentry in the second half, since Barson came out and then went back in last night.

Actually, there are some technicalities to the rule related to an injury. A players whose injury was caused by opposing player who was cautioned or ejected in conjunction with the injury may be substituted and re-enter. Neither the injured player nor the substitute shall be charged with a substitution. So it is possible to have two re-entries in the second half or one re-entry in the first half.

Same goes for a player who has a bleeding injury, blood on the uniform or signs of a concussion. Neither will be charged with a substitution. However, if the injured player replaces a player other than the substitute, that player shall be charged with a substitution.

I don't think Barson's injury would have fallen into any of these categories, unless he was bleeding. I couldn't see from where I was standing. I don't recall seeing a Penn State player receive a caution either, just a foul.

EDIT: I just noticed ZipItUpNow posted the rule book in another thread below. A good read on the substitution rules. :D

Actually, there are some technicalities to the rule related to an injury. A players whose injury was caused by opposing player who was cautioned or ejected in conjunction with the injury may be substituted and re-enter. Neither the injured player nor the substitute shall be charged with a substitution. So it is possible to have two re-entries in the second half or one re-entry in the first half.

Same goes for a player who has a bleeding injury, blood on the uniform or signs of a concussion. Neither will be charged with a substitution. However, if the injured player replaces a player other than the substitute, that player shall be charged with a substitution.

I don't think Barson's injury would have fallen into any of these categories, unless he was bleeding. I couldn't see from where I was standing. I don't recall seeing a Penn State player receive a caution either, just a foul.

EDIT: I just noticed ZipItUpNow posted the rule book in another thread below. A good read on the substitution rules. :D

Thanks Crew8. And here is the link to ZipItUpNow's post. Includes the NCAA Rule Book explanation.

I'm sure you're pretty frustrated, yet trying not to say anything about it. Last night I had tickets for the grandstands which was a great change of view. Yedlin was constantly making great runs yet no one was passing to him. He also tried to cut inside once and he looked like he was going to get a great look at goal and then Mattocks took the ball from him as he was moving away from goal! The resulting shot was pretty poor. Really frustrating at times!

I agree that it is frustrating at times. I sit in the front row of the grandstands; so, when the Zips are attacking the east goal, I have a great view of DeAndre's play. The Zips should be getting the ball to him more often, and as much as I think Darren is a good player, I also think he's oftentimes looking out for Darren rather than the team. I know Caleb gives him a lot of praise, but I hope he also reinforces that team is #1 during the season. Just hang in there, though. I'm confident that DeAndre will get more chances.

Both Yedlin and Mattocks must improve the accuracy and timeliness of their passing. This comes with more time on the pitch together. There is no substitute.

I disagree with the insinuation that Mattocks is selfish. He is just about as selfish as you want your Striker to be.

Perhaps Darren has been guilty of laziness in the past, but not so much this year. He helped preserve the 3 points vs. PSU with his hustle and defense.

Game film will show exploitable space along the right flank. Zips will capitalize on this Saturday vs. Hartwick.

Don't think this has been mentioned in this thread and I just remembered it. Did anyone else in the grand stands see Bluem there? Wonder if they have an upcoming match against PSU and he was scouting for it.

I missed further opportunity to berate Bluem?!?!?!