Porter to coach U-23's

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That page is still bringing up an error but you can clearly see the headline. Someone on twitter posted this though, and it works, not sure how though. http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/sear...3.1.5-1.1.1l9l0
It's working for me. PORTER! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

i think its highly unlikely he's going anywhere for a while. If theres a coach I trust to stand by his word, its Porter. I would lose a lot of respect for him if he were to weasel his way out of here for "greener pastures", and when i say "greener", i simply mean bigger money.

i think its highly unlikely he's going anywhere for a while. If theres a coach I trust to stand by his word, its Porter. I would lose a lot of respect for him if he were to weasel his way out of here for "greener pastures", and when i say "greener", i simply mean bigger money.
That's tough. His contract right now is really good, and I'm pretty sure he loves where he is at in life at the moment, but it doesn't mean he couldn't leave. We saw him turn down an offer from an MLS side before, which is very reassuring, but if he was offered a full time position with US Soccer, it could be a different story. There is no reason to lose respect for someone who is trying to achieve their ultimate goal. I really do not think it is going out on a limb to say that Porter could very well one day be the coach of the senior national team. Him trying to get there isn't selling out. If he left us for another college team, that would hurt. As long as he is moving up, I can't blame him. Right now though, this is the PERFECT position. He is staying with us while having an incredible part time job with US Soccer. What a deal.

That's tough. His contract right now is really good, and I'm pretty sure he loves where he is at in life at the moment, but it doesn't mean he couldn't leave. We saw him turn down an offer from an MLS side before, which is very reassuring, but if he was offered a full time position with US Soccer, it could be a different story. There is no reason to lose respect for someone who is trying to achieve their ultimate goal. I really do not think it is going out on a limb to say that Porter could very well one day be the coach of the senior national team. Him trying to get there isn't selling out. If he left us for another college team, that would hurt. As long as he is moving up, I can't blame him. Right now though, this is the PERFECT position. He is staying with us while having an incredible part time job with US Soccer. What a deal.
+1 If he left us for another NCAA program (which he has shown he won't do), I'd be upset. If he was moving up the ranks, I'd wish him the best of luck. I've go the upmost respect for Porter. Hopefully he wins a few more championships before he moves up. Go Zips!

+1 If he left us for another NCAA program (which he has shown he won't do), I'd be upset. If he was moving up the ranks, I'd wish him the best of luck. I've go the upmost respect for Porter. Hopefully he wins a few more championships before he moves up. Go Zips!
I totally agree. I'm extremely excited and happy to see Caleb get this well-deserved opportunity while remaining with us and hope one day to see him reach his ultimate goal, the same as I want for our players.

Porter's buy-out clause is pretty big if I recall correctly, so I'm willing to be he sees his contract here out
not to mention he's got another 9 years on the contract... I would suspect it'd be at least 5-6 years before we'd need to even begin worrying about him leaving simply due to the financial cost to whoever is trying to lure him away.Honestly, I have faith porter will be here for a long time... a lot can change in the next 8 years.

if Porter does well in the Olympics, he could get contracts over €1,000,000 a year thrown at him. Considering his devotion to his family, I don't think he'll take a European job. I shouldn't have mentioned any worries about losing him, this is a spectacular thing for our University and there's no need for negativity.

if Porter does well in the Olympics, he could get contracts over €1,000,000 a year thrown at him. Considering his devotion to his family, I don't think he'll take a European job. I shouldn't have mentioned any worries about losing him, this is a spectacular thing for our University and there's no need for negativity.
I think Porters ultimate goal is to be coach of USMNT (wrote about this a year ago). I think he can accomplish his goal without leaving the Zips. I still believe that he will stay until 2014 when Kinsmann's contract will be up and the US may be looking for a new coach. I hope it plays out just as coach Porter envisions. Even if we have a new coach...the publicity that comes with the World Cup will be more than anyone could imagine.

Discussion on BigSoccer about Caleb's selection. Some seem to think that if he does well at the Olympics, then he's gone. I don't think so. At some point, I think he'll have to but he still seems to be extremely motivated with the Zips right now.
He's being groomed man. Don't treat him the way you all did Ken Lolla, OK? ;) Not that we'll improve when he becomes US National Coach (though I think the USA will), but we'll be a perennial top-10 for a long time. And we'll be the breeding ground.

I think Porters ultimate goal is to be coach of USMNT (wrote about this a year ago). I think he can accomplish his goal without leaving the Zips. I still believe that he will stay until 2014 when Kinsmann's contract will be up and the US may be looking for a new coach. I hope it plays out just as coach Porter envisions. Even if we have a new coach...the publicity that comes with the World Cup will be more than anyone could imagine.
What HE said! :D

New England is now in the market for a coach :eek:
I don't think we have to worry about MLS at this point. I trust that Caleb would recognize that adding a completely new job at this time is probably not a good recipe for success. He's established at Akron, and it takes a lot of hard work to keep the Zips successful. But, he already has the template in place for making the Zips successful...although it's a grind, it's a grind he knows and only requires tweaking. He's just picked up a great job that's added new challenges and pressure. I just can't see him taking on any more at this time.