210 replies to this topic

#1 TheTank123

TheTank123

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:54 AM

Pretty self explanatory. Part time job that should have no effect on his Akron duties. Talk about a recruiting tool...Just ot be clear, this has NOT been confirmed by US Soccer or Porter. I have heard via numerous news outlets and one source in particular who tends to know these things (not DeAndre). Don't shoot me if I'm wrong.

#2 fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  • Interests:futbol, Bovidae, grass

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:59 AM

Porter needs to recruit a Forward. Mattocks is likely gone after this season.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

#3 Ando

Ando

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:24 PM

The U20 gig was probably better for recruiting, as most at that age people are going to be still considering college ball, and at u23 they're probably out of school or went pro alreadyI'm salivating to think about what he can do with the likes of Brek Shea, Josh Gatt, Jozy Altidore, Freddy Adu, etc, though.

#4 TheTank123

TheTank123

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:27 PM

The U20 gig was probably better for recruiting, as most at that age people are going to be still considering college ball, and at u23 they're probably out of school or went pro alreadyI'm salivating to think about what he can do with the likes of Brek Shea, Josh Gatt, Jozy Altidore, Freddy Adu, etc, though.

Being able to say "I am a good enough coach that I was asked to coach the U23 national team in the Olympics" is a recruiting tool. The most hands on would have been the U18 job, but the U23 job has more prestige.

#5 Ando

Ando

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:31 PM

No argument here. Pretty sure his gig as a u20 assistant played an integral role in some of our players picking Akron, though (Sarkodie, Valentin, Kitchen, Gallego, Souders, and I'm probably missing someone)

#6 Zip_ME87

Zip_ME87

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:34 PM

...Teal Bunbury, Zarek Valentin, ...

#7 TheTank123

TheTank123

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:39 PM

...Teal Bunbury, Zarek Valentin, ...

I know DeAndre met him at U18 camp and wanted to play for him thereafter. Please know that this is not yet official. I feel as if I may have jumped the gun but, like I said, my "source" is pretty much always right about these things.

#8 Ando

Ando

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:40 PM

If this is true, then it'd be interesting to see what guys from the old band he brings in (also, it'll be interesting to see how long a leash Kilinsmann gives him in terms of player selection as well as tactic selection)Kitchen, Teal, and maybe Nagbe seem like the most realistic picks to me. Nagbe might not get a shot though because our u23 depth chart is almost the same as the senior team's depth chart at striker

#9 Ando

Ando

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 01:09 PM

Twitter is blowing up with this right now:http://twitter.com/#!/search/caleb%20porterTab Ramos seems official as the u20

#10 TPSjugglerdude

TPSjugglerdude

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 01:55 PM

What I am interested to find out:1. Does this mean the U23s will have practice at Akron? Our Field House would be perfect. This would be beneficial during the college season to just have the players come to him. They can even put them up in Quaker. Having all these pro soccer players around would be a nice balance for all of the NBA players that seem to come and go.2. Next year preseason scrimmage between the U23s and the Zips? Like the Crew scrimmage a few years back. 3. How many former Zips will make an appearance on the U23s? Teal, Kitchen, Valentine, Nagbe??? I would guess at least 2 if not 3. Most of them already have national team experience.

#11 skip-zip

skip-zip

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,822 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:20 PM

I'm not getting this. He's been selected as the coach of the next Olympic team? If so, wouldn't that be HUGE national news?

#12 Crew8

Crew8

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:26 PM

I'm not getting this. He's been selected as the coach of the next Olympic team? If so, wouldn't that be HUGE national news?

Yes, but nothing has been confirmed yet, just a tweet from Fernando Clavijo (former player and Colorado Rapids coach) which has now been deleted. @SoccerByIves VERY interesting. RT @fclavijo: Caleb Porter next coach of the Olimpic US team (U23), and Tabare Ramos Coach of the US U20....

#13 Yaznasty

Yaznasty

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:44 PM

First of all, I'd just like to say that we can all take a lesson out of this: You lose to the worst team in the Big 10, you get to coach the US under-23 national team. Ouch, too soon? Yeah, too soon for me too...

What I am interested to find out:1. Does this mean the U23s will have practice at Akron? Our Field House would be perfect. This would be beneficial during the college season to just have the players come to him. They can even put them up in Quaker. Having all these pro soccer players around would be a nice balance for all of the NBA players that seem to come and go.2. Next year preseason scrimmage between the U23s and the Zips? Like the Crew scrimmage a few years back. 3. How many former Zips will make an appearance on the U23s? Teal, Kitchen, Valentine, Kofi, Nagbe??? I would guess at least 2 if not 3. Most of them already have national team experience.

I don't expect every former Zip in the MLS to get a call-up just because Porter is the coach, or we will be hearing cries of nepotism a la Bob and Michael Bradley (even though him playing for his dad was justified). I would fully expect to see Teal get a call up, probably Kitchen too. Not sure about Zarek, Kofi is kind of a stretch at this point, and I'm not sure what the status is nationality wise on Darlington. The US has a lot of talent in the under-23 age pool. What you have to remember is that some of the guys who play for the senior squad are still under 23, like Jozy Altidore, Juan Agudelo, Timmy Chandler, Freddy Adu, and Brek Shea. Which leads me to the topic of the squad coming to Akron. I don't know how early this team would start training, it may or may not overlap with this college season. Probably depends on how deep of a run we make into the tournament. I do know though, and I can say this as a confident, heterosexual man, that if Brek Shea is anywhere near this city I will camp outside his hotel room to meet him.Oh, and if you're not familiar with how the Olympic team works, it's under 23, BUT you are allowed to have three overage players on your roster. Maybe we will also see Landon Donovan, maybe we will see Clint Dempsey, maybe we will see Tim Howard, maybe I am getting WAY ahead of myself.

Not huge national news yet, because it hasn't been confirmed. If you go on twitter and search Caleb Porter, you will see that it is being discussed by multiple individuals in the soccer communityThis certainly is an exciting development for our school, our country, and our fearless leader Caleb Porter! Hope it's true

#14 skip-zip

skip-zip

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,822 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:57 PM

No no no...I'm just trying to understand what this means. Isn't the national team coach a full time, year round job? Do we pluck someone different from the college ranks every 4 years to coach the Olympic team, like we do for USA Olympic basketball?Can someone please explain all of this to someone who doesn't understand?

#15 ejcool27

ejcool27

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 03:04 PM

No no no...I'm just trying to understand what this means. Isn't the national team coach a full time, year round job? Do we pluck someone different from the college ranks every 4 years to coach the Olympic team, like we do for USA Olympic basketball?Can someone please explain all of this to someone who doesn't understand?

It would just be for this summer Olympics as of right now he would still also coach at Akron I believe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users