Porter to coach U-23's

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Klinsmann stands by hiring of college coach for Olympics

In fact, Klinsmann made it clear that he wants to make sure his Olympic head coach remained "connected" with the US national team program, with potential participation in senior national team camps, coaching workshops and help him arrange trips overseas to learn from European managers.

He also didn't shy away from expressing his desire that Porter leave the college ranks.

"I think he has a huge future ahead of him and, rather sooner than later, will jump into professional field and will become a pro coach," Klinsmann said. "We really think that he has a lot of upside and I think he learned a tremendous amount during the last four months.

Klinsmann stands by hiring of college coach for Olympics

In fact, Klinsmann made it clear that he wants to make sure his Olympic head coach remained "connected" with the US national team program, with potential participation in senior national team camps, coaching workshops and help him arrange trips overseas to learn from European managers.

He also didn't shy away from expressing his desire that Porter leave the college ranks.

"I think he has a huge future ahead of him and, rather sooner than later, will jump into professional field and will become a pro coach," Klinsmann said. "We really think that he has a lot of upside and I think he learned a tremendous amount during the last four months.

Well...If he wins one more national championship, the pressure will increase by multiples over what its been up to now. I sure hope no one blames him if he succumbs. He'll always be "Akron's Coach", and no matter when he departs, he'll leave the program far ahead of where he stepped in.

Klinsmann has stated that he still thinks there is a place for Porter in US soccer. It is clear that he has a high degree of faith in Porter and wants to groom him for a higher level. Could many coaches fail to qualify for a tournament that was supposed to be a given, and then have their superiors say they want to keep them around and bring them into the game plan even more? Klinsmann is still banking on Porter, even after how qualifying went.

Now, that being said, Klinsmann also made it clear that he thinks Porter needs to make the jump to the pro ranks if he wants to make it big time. Now, I would never question Porter's loyalty to our school, city, etc. but I think we all know where Caleb's long term priorities are. If Jurgen Klinsmann says "you need to start coaching at the pro level if you want to have a future in US Soccer," well, I would be mad at Porter for not taking the leap to the next level. I will definitely be extremely sad to see him go, but my no means will it be a question of not having loyalty or dedication to Akron, it's just about accomplishing his own dreams.

That being said though, If Porter is on his way out within the next year or so, I expect another National Championship before then.

Klinsmann has stated that he still thinks there is a place for Porter in US soccer. It is clear that he has a high degree of faith in Porter and wants to groom him for a higher level. Could many coaches fail to qualify for a tournament that was supposed to be a given, and then have their superiors say they want to keep them around and bring them into the game plan even more? Klinsmann is still banking on Porter, even after how qualifying went.

Now, that being said, Klinsmann also made it clear that he thinks Porter needs to make the jump to the pro ranks if he wants to make it big time. Now, I would never question Porter's loyalty to our school, city, etc. but I think we all know where Caleb's long term priorities are. If Jurgen Klinsmann says "you need to start coaching at the pro level if you want to have a future in US Soccer," well, I would be mad at Porter for not taking the leap to the next level. I will definitely be extremely sad to see him go, but my no means will it be a question of not having loyalty or dedication to Akron, it's just about accomplishing his own dreams.

That being said though, If Porter is on his way out within the next year or so, I expect another National Championship before then.

I would never be upset with Caleb if, after careful consideration, he decided not to make the leap to the next level but remain at Akron. He can be the Zips' Head Coach as long as he likes. I'd be happy if he were at Akron for a long time. Of course, I'd be happy to see him in the pros and/or US Soccer if that is where he truly wants to be.