Ianello G-O-N-E!?

Captain Kangaroo

WORSE CASE SCENARIO....we could always make him the recruiting coordinator. It might help keep our current commits and the guy is good at that when he can focus his time on doing so.

I don't see keeping our 3 or 4 commits as a major priority. And I don't see Ianello dropping from HC to Recruiting Coordinator.

Beyond that, I can't see a new HC wanting the old HC on his staff. Unless we get Charlie Weiss.

Supposedly we have 9 verbals.

I see what u r saying but I would probably do this if the new coach was ok with it rather than paying him for nothing.

Would be difficult for an ex HC to sell the team to potential recruits. And did you ever sell something you did not believe in?? Even if you have good intentions it will come off as insincere. Ex-coaches are like ex-girlfriends and ex-wives. They may be good people and may not have been 100% at fault...but it best to cut ties and move on.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a new coach was hired today it would take 2-3 weeks to get assistant coaches processed and on the job. Given the time of year you can add a week to that time frame which puts a new staff on the job no earlier than January 6 - giving them 4 weeks to sell the program. Unless they have been recruiting Ohio already and have relationships this is a lost year, just like two years ago was. Last year was no peach either so there is 1 of maybe 5 classes that will be worth mud for the 2012 Zips, that being the next to last recruiting class for Brookhart. His last one, the two iCoach classes, and this one were all wasted classes. Only the 2008 HS grads were attractive recruits and not many of those guys are left. It's going to be a long long rebuild for someone and that is pretty unattractive.

The Vest was recruiting the night he was announced. Dustin Fox said he was watching the Buckeyes basketball game and they rolled Tres out at halftime. 20 minutes later the phone rang and it was Tressel, from a phone in the arena, working on convincing him to change his mind and play for the Bucks.

You don't need a staff or an office set up or anything else to get started on recruiting. Just the numbers of the guys you want to target first, and a phone.

Fox went to OSU, btw.

Apparently the coaching staff really was too stupid or arrogant to know that this was coming. Maybe both.

http://azstarnet.com/sports/greg-hansen-ua...20a8c6aa1b.html

"Also losing his job this week was Desert Swarm linebacker Charlie Camp, who was pushed out when Akron fired coach Rob Ianello, a UA assistant coach from 1993 to 2002.

'We were blindsided,' Camp said Thursday. 'We got two years, and they fired everybody. It's a crazy business.'"

Really? Blindsided? Was everyone on the staff so arrogant that they thought they could continue sending the program into a nosedive without facing the consequences?

"Also losing his job this week was Desert Swarm linebacker Charlie Camp, who was pushed out when Akron fired coach Rob Ianello, a UA assistant coach from 1993 to 2002.

'We were blindsided,' Camp said Thursday. 'We got two years, and they fired everybody. It's a crazy business.'"

Other than Walt Harris, has any D1-A coach ever been fired 2 years into a 5-year contract?

If a new coach was hired today it would take 2-3 weeks to get assistant coaches processed and on the job. Given the time of year you can add a week to that time frame which puts a new staff on the job no earlier than January 6 - giving them 4 weeks to sell the program. Unless they have been recruiting Ohio already and have relationships this is a lost year, just like two years ago was. Last year was no peach either so there is 1 of maybe 5 classes that will be worth mud for the 2012 Zips, that being the next to last recruiting class for Brookhart. His last one, the two iCoach classes, and this one were all wasted classes. Only the 2008 HS grads were attractive recruits and not many of those guys are left. It's going to be a long long rebuild for someone and that is pretty unattractive.

Not true at all. Another guy just took a HC job last week and all of his potential assistants are coaching bowl teams.

He is already on the recruiting trail hard and will finish with a top 10 class.

It can be done if you get the right coach. It needs to be a name coach that brings excitement.

Other than Walt Harris, has any D1-A coach ever been fired 2 years into a 5-year contract?

Turner Gill (Kansas); Larry Porter (Memphis)

If you can only win 2 games in the WORST conference in FBS you deserve to get fired.

Eric Mangini got fired after winning 10 games in two years

I don't know if they had five year contracts, but here are four other college coaches I could find that were fired after only two years.

Bob Valesante, Kansas (3-8; 1-9-1), fired in 1987.

Rod Dowhower, Vanderbilt (2-9; 2-9), fired in 1996.

Dave Roberts, Baylor (2-9; 2;9), fired in 1998.

Keith Gilbertson, Washington (6-6; 1-10), fired in 2004.

I wonder if this is an aberration (three in one year) or the beginning of a trend.

Kansas: Florida offensive coordinator Charlie Weis has accepted the head coaching job. I am told that Weis has already contacted former Akron head coach Rob Ianello about an assistant coaching position.

From coachingsearch.com

Ianello is getting looks from the BCS. He may well be employed at another university before we can find a replacement.

P.S.: Thanks for the tip, ZN.O poster. :wave:

Kansas: Florida offensive coordinator Charlie Weis has accepted the head coaching job. I am told that Weis has already contacted former Akron head coach Rob Ianello about an assistant coaching position.

From coachingsearch.com

Ianello is getting looks from the BCS. He may well be employed at another university before we can find a replacement.

P.S.: Thanks for the tip, ZN.O poster. :wave:

HA! Weis and Ianello deserve each other. Weis is no more fit to be a head coach than I am.