Ianello G-O-N-E!?

Captain Kangaroo

Hearing from multiple sources that RI has already been informed that he will be relieved of his duties after Friday and he has told his staff as well.

To RI, I want to thank you for the hard work and countless hours you put into the program. Even though you were wildly unsuccessful, I know it wasn't for a lack of work, but rather the fact that you weren't even close to being ready to be a head coach and had no idea how to run a program. That's more the fault of the guy that hired you, not your own.

I hope that you learned a lot of valuable lessons in your time here, not the least of which being that the way you treat the "little people" around you is a lot more important than you think. A coach who wins 2 games in his first 2 years can sometimes survive, but not when you've alienated 90% of the department you work in, not to mention all of the alumni and close supporters of the program. I can say with little doubt that there are very few people that you have come into contact with while running this program that will be sad to see you go on a personal level, including your players. My condolences on the passing of your mother, I know this will probably be the worst week of your life. Use the experience to reevaluate yourself personally and professionally and prepare yourself to learn from your mistakes and do a lot better job in your next opportunity.

Now on to TW. If he is the one who made the decision to fire RI, then I've regained a little respect for him. Not much, as he's the one who got us into this mess in the first place by hiring a buddy who wasn't even CLOSE to being ready to run a program, but some. If he was forced to fire Rob by his higher ups, then he needs to get his ass out of town as well.

At this point, we're all assuming it's a done deal. I really hope it is. Wouldn't it be awful if these rumors were false (especially the one about Tressel being the next coach)? Could you imagine another year with Ianello?

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the rumors were "leaked" to gauge the community's reaction. And that reaction has ranged from neutral to elation. Nobody wants to keep him, and the only negative responses have to do with being unsure of how to pay his contract, not that they actually want another year with him as the coach.

Maybe the rumors were "leaked" to gauge the community's reaction. And that reaction has ranged from neutral to elation. Nobody wants to keep him, and the only negative responses have to do with being unsure of how to pay his contract, not that they actually want another year with him as the coach.

the only ones that want him are the ones that root for that school in Portage County.

Hearing from multiple sources that RI has already been informed that he will be relieved of his duties after Friday and he has told his staff as well.

To RI, I want to thank you for the hard work and countless hours you put into the program. Even though you were wildly unsuccessful, I know it wasn't for a lack of work, but rather the fact that you weren't even close to being ready to be a head coach and had no idea how to run a program. That's more the fault of the guy that hired you, not your own.

I hope that you learned a lot of valuable lessons in your time here, not the least of which being that the way you treat the "little people" around you is a lot more important than you think. A coach who wins 2 games in his first 2 years can sometimes survive, but not when you've alienated 90% of the department you work in, not to mention all of the alumni and close supporters of the program. I can say with little doubt that there are very few people that you have come into contact with while running this program that will be sad to see you go on a personal level, including your players. My condolences on the passing of your mother, I know this will probably be the worst week of your life. Use the experience to reevaluate yourself personally and professionally and prepare yourself to learn from your mistakes and do a lot better job in your next opportunity.

Now on to TW. If he is the one who made the decision to fire RI, then I've regained a little respect for him. Not much, as he's the one who got us into this mess in the first place by hiring a buddy who wasn't even CLOSE to being ready to run a program, but some. If he was forced to fire Rob by his higher ups, then he needs to get his ass out of town as well.

As usual, ITZ is totally on the money in content and tone. Tone matters. Factual criticism is necessary and unobjectionable; when we get too personal (of which I have been guilty, especially as it relates to the play book in the pants) it diminishes the message. This was perfect.

the only ones that want him are the ones that root for that school in Portage County.

I thought you were going to avoid the football threads this week and avoid the rumor mill!!!

I thought you were going to avoid the football threads this week and avoid the rumor mill!!!

I'm going to enjoy the idea that Tressel could end up in Akron while it lasts.

BTW, Akron needs a Boone Pickens, so that stuff like this is never in doubt.

I honestly believe, with the interest Lebron has shown in our athletic programs, he could be our major booster once he's retired and starts getting bored.

Now I can't stand Lebron James on a personal level, but as a great man used to say, you take money wherever it comes from for your cause, because "the Devil has had it long enough."

I honestly believe, with the interest Lebron has shown in our athletic programs, he could be our major booster once he's retired and starts getting bored.

Now I can't stand Lebron James on a personal level, but as a great man used to say, you take money wherever it comes from for your cause, because "the Devil has had it long enough."

i'd be worried OSUcks would get the majority of it

i'd be worried OSUcks would get the majority of it

Bring Tressel in as both football HC & AD for the next 8-ish years. When Tressel retires, move Dambrot to AD. We'd be sure to get LBJ's support.

I guess I now see at least a small chance of Tressel coming to UA. It really comes down to two key points:

What penalty does the NCAA have in mind for him if he would even want to return to college coaching, and what does he really want to do with the remaining years of his professional career?

If he's banned from college coaching for a few years, that ends it right there. We'll know more after the NCAA announces all its tOSU sanctions.

There's certainly at least a possibility that he might find fulfillment in turning around a smaller college football program in his home state of Ohio to help mend his tarnished reputation.

I could go for that if I could be sure he would be building a sustainable winning football program at UA for the longterm, and that he would do it in the right way with no hint of scandals.

Tressel may not be the greatest college football coach in America. But he is without question the best proven college football coach who would even have the slightest chance of considering coming to Akron for what UA can afford to pay.

There's certainly at least a possibility that he might find fulfillment in turning around a smaller college football program in his home state of Ohio to help mend his tarnished reputation.

That's what I was talking about when his name got mentioned months ago. The "redemption" factor. How good would he look if he turned around the most ailing program around, and right here in Ohio, and back at a school where he started coaching.

It almost has that karma-destiny thing going.

Also for him, he gets the chance to do endorsements and make money from ads and putting his name on things. Where else besides a major Ohio media market can he walk right in and start making money like that?

A lot of places seem to have a problem with OSU, from even before the scandal stuff broke, they always thought OSU was overrated. He's not going to make a lot of money with his name outside of this state like he could here.

For the university, what do you get? Butts in the seats! Instantly. Newspaper coverage. Attention from the columbus faithful (not sure what that's worth, but yeah)

That's what I was talking about when his name got mentioned months ago. The "redemption" factor. How good would he look if he turned around the most ailing program around, and right here in Ohio, and back at a school where he started coaching.

It almost has that karma-destiny thing going.

Also for him, he gets the chance to do endorsements and make money from ads and putting his name on things. Where else besides a major Ohio media market can he walk right in and start making money like that?

A lot of places seem to have a problem with OSU, from even before the scandal stuff broke, they always thought OSU was overrated. He's not going to make a lot of money with his name outside of this state like he could here.

For the university, what do you get? Butts in the seats! Instantly. Newspaper coverage. Attention from the columbus faithful (not sure what that's worth, but yeah)

I would hire him to be the spokesman for my flying pig farm. :)

He can make more money eating rubber chicken on the speaking tour.

It depends on how important money is to him at this stage in his life. He's around 60 years old and has already earned many millions. If he's hungry for more millions, he'll go with the highest-paying job he can find. If he's comfortable with the millions he's already earned, he may put other considerations ahead of earning the biggest possible paycheck.

It depends on how important money is to him at this stage in his life. He's around 60 years old and has already earned many millions. If he's hungry for more millions, he'll go with the highest-paying job he can find. If he's comfortable with the millions he's already earned, he may put other considerations ahead of earning the biggest possible paycheck.

It's not to suggest that money is his only motivating force in life.

However, since a gig now at Akron probably wouldn't garner a paycheck as large as he has had in the past before everything came down, there are reasons that it is better to take a job here than somewhere outside of Ohio. That was my only point.

I have already mentioned the non-monentary reasons for him going to Akron. Destiny (back to where he started coaching) Karma (redemption at reviving what by record seems like the deadest D1 program over the last several years).

cage match: rubber chicken vs. flying pig

My fivespot is on the zipmeister's flying pig. Sorry GP1, though I'm sure your rubber chicken is quite resilient.

I don't believe money is an issue. His salary at OSU was petty cash compared to the money he married into.

this is from wikipedia and it's unsourced, but if it's true, looks good for us: "On September 2, 2011, Tressel was hired by the Indianapolis Colts as a consultant. Tressel was suspended by the Colts until the 7th game of the season due to his involvement in the NCAA violations during his tenure as head coach at Ohio State."http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Tressel

Out of curiosity, is it even plausible that one man could hold both the football HC position and the position of AD at a D-1 school? (To me, the responsibilities of a D-1 HC seem overwhelming enough.) I know Jim Dennison is both Walsh Univerisity's head football coach and athletic director. But has any school done this at the D-1 level?

Out of curiosity, is it even plausible that one man could hold both the football HC position and the position of AD at a D-1 school? (To me, the responsibilities of a D-1 HC seem overwhelming enough.) I know Jim Dennison is both Walsh Univerisity's head football coach and athletic director. But has any school done this at the D-1 level?
This used to be common. Not so much anymore. I think Nebraska has done it in the past. If I'm not mistaken, Wisconsin did it with Alvarez for a while. I'm sure our Basketball and Soccer coaches would have a problem with it.

This used to be common. Not so much anymore. I think Nebraska has done it in the past. If I'm not mistaken, Wisconsin did it with Alvarez for a while. I'm sure our Basketball and Soccer coaches would have a problem with it.
Thanks. :wave:

Let play 'devil's advocate'. Its too expensive to fire Ianello now no matter how bad the record is. A pick up in ticket sales by bringing in in a new coach could never come close to making up what it would cost to pay 2 coaches. Football does, has and always will lose money. It will always be dependent on student fees and the few donors that are out there now. Sacrifice games paying 500,000-800,000 don't put the program in the black. There still has to be a minimum amount in the coffers to run the program with one coach let alone two. The rest of the athletic programs still have to get their money. Drawing off an extra 350,000 grand for another year or two on top of what would be needed for a new coach hits all programs.What would realistically motivate someone like Tressel to come to a program like Akron? Not money. He doesn't have to work another day in his life to maintain his current life style. He coached at Akron for a hot minute? You could say that about YSU also. Only there it was for a substantial amount of time. Maybe he would go back there? If he gets a ban from the NCAA what compelling reason could Akron or Tressel make to allow him to coach now. Its not money. He doesn't need to work. Tressel is the only coach that could turn around the Akron program? There are coaches out there who if given the opportunity have the ability to do that if a thorough,comprhensive search is done.Don't get me wrong it would be a hoot to get a guy like Tressel. How realistic is it that any of this will really happen?

@ Lee Legitimate question.I'll try to answer your question...Tressel is a NE Ohio guy (I know everyone on this board seems to try to say Akron isn't NE Ohio, but it is) he was born in Mentor, played ball at Baldwin Wallace and went to graduate school at Akron. His father was a NE Ohio coach and from what I understand was well respected in the NE Ohio coaching community. Tressel was given the Distinguished Alumni award at The University of Akron a few years back and appeared honored and was gracious in receiving. The University has worked hard to continue to keep a connection with him over the years and this was another step in that process. Additionally, I still think some people do things for the challenge. Making an Akron program a perennial MAC contender and a team that threatens the top 25 in football would be a significant challenge. If Tressel could bring this program to a level that basketball and soccer are seen he could lead the University to a better conference and with that I could see a statue of Tressel in his sweater vest greeting you as you enter the stadium....or even see the field being named Tressel field. With simply naming Tressel as the head coach I think you are overlooking the alumni donations that would find their way to the University and the renewed interest alumni who haven't been back to the University since graduating would follow. I think the $350K paid to iCoach would be surpassed quite quickly with alumni donations. Additionally, the national interest alone is something that couldn't be paid for in initiating conversations with alumni who are on the Development offices radar, but haven't picked up the phone to answer the call. Tressel can always be a National Champion coach for OSU, but he would always be in Woody Hayes' shadow -- at Akron he could become Woody Hayes and leave a legacy that lasts lifetimes.I'll also offer you this from a devil's advocate perspective....why would Frank Solich go to OU? His only connection with OU was knowing it was a college in Ohio when he left Holy Name in the 60s to go play ball at Nebraska. I don't think anyone would have guessed that was going to be his next landing spot when he was canned by Nebraska. I'll also throw one other thing into the mix relative to all of this talk...assuming the Tressel thing doesn't happen (I'm guessing it won't) I would love to see Wistricill reach out to Dennison and Jack Lengyl to assist in his search for a next coach. Hell if Dr. P wanted to fire Wistricill I think he could do a hell of a lot worse than bringing in Lengyl to right the ship and hire the coach....maybe hold the fort down for a few years.