Replacement rumors.

ZachTheZip

Who  

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Take this for what it's worth. This guy also called Ianello a "great coach", so he may not be very smart. Early names for akron job, luke fickell, pat narduzzi, eric wolford, carl pelini, and mike stoops.

Interesting that this is essentially the exact same list of finalists we heard last time, minus Paul Winters. Will Wistrcill ignore the list once again and hire some random jackass out of the blue once more?

As for the poll, I'm not asking who you want but who you believe would leave the program in the best shape at the end of their time here.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Take this for what it's worth. This guy also called Ianello a "great coach", so he may not be very smart. Early names for akron job, luke fickell, pat narduzzi, eric wolford, carl pelini, and mike stoops.

Interesting that this is essentially the exact same list of finalists we heard last time, minus Paul Winters. Will Wistrcill ignore the list once again and hire some random jackass out of the blue once more?

As for the poll, I'm not asking who you want but who you believe would leave the program in the best shape at the end of their time here.

Where's Urban Meyer and Jim Tressel? Shouldn't they be on the list? :D

What is up with Mike Leach? He did a great job at Texas Tech but no one is willing to touch him. I don't know what baggage he brings but he did have some exciting offense during his TT days.

FAU reportedly has shown interest. Besides, I always enjoy sharing a link with any reference to "Chuck the Chest".

A close friend to me, who does NOT make stuff up like this, told me that Jim Tressel WAS on campus a few weeks ago...

Maybe he was on his way to Can't to watch his former coach in action.

Tressel is not coming to Akron. It would be like a two term President running for Congress after his time in office.

Other names to consider...

Wisconsin OC - Paul Chryst

Houston Special Teams coordinator - Tony Levine (Minnesota ties)

Northern Iowa - Mark Farley

Any number of coaches from successful FCS schools...

KC Keeler, Hauck's replacement at Montana (though through only two seasons not sure how good he is)

Ideally they look at someone with no ties to Wistrcill this time.

A close friend to me, who does NOT make stuff up like this, told me that Jim Tressel WAS on campus a few weeks ago...

Maybe he was on his way to Can't to watch his former coach in action.

Tressel is not coming to Akron. It would be like a two term President running for Congress after his time in office.

Or like a man who actually won multiple national Championships coaching at an awful Louisville after the USFL failed, and then winding up at FAU.

Just found this site, but I'm an alum and season tick holder. Please excuse newb status and bold first post, but......

First, I don't see how Ianello will not be fired, but the timing will almost certainly be impacted due to the death of his mother, and it should be. There is no need to fire the guy in the midst of such family grief, and the University would appear insensitive. We don't need more bad publicity around the program.

However, it will have to be done soon enough to assure that UA can begin interviewing, and does not risk losing, any available coaching candidates. Within two weeks I would guess.

What is up with Mike Leach? He did a great job at Texas Tech but no one is willing to touch him. I don't know what baggage he brings but he did have some exciting offense during his TT days.

Leach is still involved in litigation with TTech because of his alleged treatment of the son of 1/2 of the Pony Express at SMU. He has got a good radio gig going on satellite. They let him do the show from his house in the Keys. He just broke a book. The higher profile programs won't touch him right now apparently because of the legal stuff.

Regarding a new coach, I think we need to be realistic, even though it is fun to speculate in fan forums. UA is not likely to be attractive to guys who already have establsihed their name as D1 head coaches, particularly if they have been at more notable schools. As much as I love Jim Tressel, and believe he loves Ohio football, I simply can't imagine he'd take the UA job. Nor, do I think Leach or Stoops or others would. Heck, Rich Rod just got the job at Arizona after being specuated for Tulane and Ole Miss. These high profile coaches can get better jobs than Akron.

IMO, that leaves two types of coaches available. An up-and-comer who needs a platform to prove themselves and get head coaching experience before moving on in 3-5 years. Or, a solid guy who can win and is likely to stay with the program longer.

Personally, I like the first scenario. Let's get the program on track quickly and establsih a perception of excellence. If that means we are a stepping stone program for head coaches, so be it. Let's get the hottest, most energetic, driven guy out there. I don't even know who that is, but that's the profile I'd like to see.

Leach is still involved in litigation with TTech because of his alleged treatment of the son of 1/2 of the Pony Express at SMU. He has got a good radio gig going on satellite. They let him do the show from his house in the Keys. He just broke a book. The higher profile programs won't touch him right now apparently because of the legal stuff.

Mike Leach is toxic; forget him.

Mike Leach is toxic; forget him.

I seriously doubt that Leach is considering,if he is considering anything, a program at the level of an Akron especially in a cold weather area. If he drops to this level it will likely be down south.

I talked to a realtor friend of mine and he told me he is buying a house in Hudson.

That's cool, I hope your friend likes Hudson, it's a nice little community.

Jim Tressel is my choice. Here is why:

Solid history of winning at all levels.

Former Akron assistant coach.

Local ties thick as a 100 year old oak tree.

Close to retirement age (meaning he is already well heeled).

Stays in the Ohio retirement system (Akron, YSU, Ohio State).

Has instant credibility with recruiting.

Can help move Akron up and out of the Mid-American Conference.

Can bring in assistant coaches that would normally be out of Akron's sphere.

Well liked by Zips fans despite coaching at theeOSwho.

Would be a HUGE coup for Tom Wistrcill.

Solid history of winning at all levels. Former Akron assistant coach. Local ties thick as a 100 year old oak tree.

Close to retirement age (meaning he is already well heeled).Stays in the Ohio retirement system (Akron, YSU, Ohio State).

Has instant credibility with recruiting. Can help move Akron up and out of the Mid-American Conference.

Can bring in assistant coaches that would normally be out of Akron's sphere. Well liked by Zips fans despite coaching at theeOSwho.

All true, but I think you forgot the biggest one. He would draw a crowd at Infocision. All that being said, I am still against it. I don't like rewarding a multiple rule breaker and hypocrite. I'm not against it as much as I once was. The program is in such disarray right now, his pros may outweigh his cons in this case. Nah, I still hate that smug look on his face.

Solid history of winning at all levels.

Has instant credibility with recruiting.

Can help move Akron up and out of the Mid-American Conference.

Well liked by Zips fans despite coaching at theeOSwho.

Is now well-known and still revered by the theeOSwho legions...would bring an instantaneous attendance boost.

I hate that he is now tarnished goods but it's not unlike the KD situation.

We could reignite the YSU rivalry (home only).

Probably wouldn't help our results against the SEC much :rolleyes:

Are we ready to wear blue/gold sweater vests? Does Macy's carry them? I'm pretty sure our team shop does not...yet. Oyyy..

Would he overshadow TW and the other athletics? I wouldn't want to introduce any jealous rivalries w/soccer, etc.