Replacement rumors.

ZachTheZip

Who  

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Some random thoughts on Tressel:

1) The potential ban on coaching certainly can't be ignored.

2) Most people acknowledge that he, at the vary least, bent the rules throughout his career, going back to the YSU days (Ray Isaac, etc). Could he have had the success at YSU with every last move being monitored by everyone and their brothers, as would definitely be the case were UA to be able to talk him into giving it a go here?

3) This had never occurred to me before, but do you realise that when Winters was playing RB (1976-1979), Tressel (1975-1977) was GA coach of WRs, QBs, and RBs for part of that time. I'm curious as to whether they have any kind of relationship or not.

4) Making the huge assumption that it could be even possible, I'm still torn on whether I'd want UA to go this route or not. There was a time when I would have been totally against it. I guess I'd want to see the plan (staff, contracts, etc) before I'd decide for myself.

As long as he didn't bring Jim Bollman with him, I would be fine with the hire.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ANOTHER CONSIDERATION, STAYING IN THE OHIO STRS, FURTHER FEEDING HIS RETIREMENT WITH WHATEVER HIS SALARY WOULD BE @ AKRON, PLUS WHAT HE'S GOTTON FROM OSU, WOULD BE A NICE SUPPLIMENT [AND BENEFITS] TO ALL THE FUNDS HE HAS IN THE STRS. HE IS A RICH MAN WHO NEEDS NOT WORK AGAIN.

So, in 10 years you point out 6 games.

Yes. Because it's recent, and the only 6 games in the last half decade in which they played similarly ranked competition. It's a very fair criteria on which to judge a potential coach (see the title of the thread). You, on the other hand, have been pretty typical of the OSWho fans who run around pounding their chests at all of the other victories that were against inferior talent.

To add to the rumor mill, here's some 3rd & 4th-hand information. :D

Today @ Thanksgiving dinner, my father, who is kinda-friends (more than just aquaintances) with Jim Dennison, said that Dennison told him that Tressel had told him that he (Tressel) wouldn't want to coach at the D-1 level anymore.

How long ago did Tressel tell Dennison this? Idk, good question.

Tracking the degrees of separation: Tressel-->Dennison-->my dad-->me -->ZNO. :D

To add to the rumor mill, here's some 3rd & 4th-hand information. :D

Today @ Thanksgiving dinner, my father, who is kinda-friends (more than just aquaintances) with Jim Dennison, said that Dennison told him that Tressel had told him that he (Tressel) wouldn't want to coach at the D-1 level anymore.

How long ago did Tressel tell Dennison this? Idk, good question.

Tracking the degrees of separation: Tressel-->Dennison-->my dad-->me -->ZNO. :D

booooooo, don't kill the rumor yet. Let us have some hope!!

I really do believe that Tressel is in play. If we were smart, we've been talking to him for weeks now. And not just the university, but all our major sponsors as well. If they promise to bring in top-notch support, it might sway him.

If he really is coming here, our major donors, like the CEOs of Infocision, Summa, FirstEnergy and the like would know something. And I believe they do.

I would take every coach on that list over Fickel.

Sadly, I don't think Akron will pay what it takes to get any of those coaches.

Those guys probably make more being assistants where they are than they would make as the HC here.

Not only that, but I don't believe any of them would want the task of taking over the worst program in D1

Hopefully I am wrong.

Not only that, but I don't believe any of them would want the task of taking over the worst program in D1

Hopefully I am wrong.

I don't think you are wrong at all. This program is in such bad shape, it is going to be hard to bring in a decent D-1A assistant. It would be hard to bring in a decent DII or I-AA coach at this point. Coaches are very calculated about their careers and Akron isn't a strong career move. The following happened to our last four coachs.

Faust - Never got a sniff at another job in coaching

Owens - DII

JD - Out of coaching for a year and now assistant at Colorado

Coach I - Will be assistant somewhere

Right now, Akron isn't the place one goes to for the next job. With that said, it makes Winters all the more logical choice for many of the reasons stated on the board.

I always say that things can always get worse than what they seem to be. I can't believe what TW has done to this program in two years. Two years ago, JD was at least a competent coach who was struggling. Lots of odd things happened prior to his departure. The program needed a change and along comes TW with his "vision". Look where we are now...a national laughingstock. No, I take that back, we aren't even a laughingstock...we're nothing. People don't even pay enough attention to laugh at us because we are so pathetic it isn't even funny.

If the boom is lowered on Coach I, I say good luck to him and wish him only the best in the future. However, there needs to be another boom lowered this week and it should be the guy who created this whole situation, TW. Coach I needs to go....TW REALLY needs to go.

He needs to get back to D-1, his record in the NFL stinks. He is just killing the Colts. Colts fans are willing to pay his contract at Akron just to get rid of him.

Not only that, but I don't believe any of them would want the task of taking over the worst program in D1Hopefully I am wrong.
I don't think you are wrong at all. This program is in such bad shape, it is going to be hard to bring in a decent D-1A assistant. It would be hard to bring in a decent DII or I-AA coach at this point. Coaches are very calculated about their careers and Akron isn't a strong career move. The following happened to our last four coachs.Faust - Never got a sniff at another job in coachingOwens - DIIJD - Out of coaching for a year and now assistant at ColoradoCoach I - Will be assistant somewhereRight now, Akron isn't the place one goes to for the next job. With that said, it makes Winters all the more logical choice for many of the reasons stated on the board.I always say that things can always get worse than what they seem to be. I can't believe what TW has done to this program in two years. Two years ago, JD was at least a competent coach who was struggling. Lots of odd things happened prior to his departure. The program needed a change and along comes TW with his "vision". Look where we are now...a national laughingstock. No, I take that back, we aren't even a laughingstock...we're nothing. People don't even pay enough attention to laugh at us because we are so pathetic it isn't even funny.If the boom is lowered on Coach I, I say good luck to him and wish him only the best in the future. However, there needs to be another boom lowered this week and it should be the guy who created this whole situation, TW. Coach I needs to go....TW REALLY needs to go.
I don't think any big name coaches will take the Akron job. Not now. Not in the future.You make a good point about where former Akron coaches go. Under normal circumstances, I could agree with your full logic that we'd be unlikely to attract a hot Coordinator or lower lever head coach. This is not normal though. A combined two season total of 2-22 is what they would be coming into. A coach needs to demonstrate "results" to move on to a better job. It can be hard to continue winning (results) after following a highly successful person in business managment or coaching. Sometimes it is better to take over a poorly performing unit, quickly show improved results and gain recognition for it, then get the opportunity to move on to another, better position. I think a good coach can come in here and be successful enough in 3-5 years to get themselves a better job. At 2-22, I would think that some coaches probably understand this, and that many of their agents would advise their career management in just this way. A confident coach must believe they could do better than 2-22 in the MAC.I'm fine if we are a "stepping-stone" for our next coach. If they get the chance to move up from Akron, it will mean they were successful here. Win-win for us and them.

don't think any big name coaches will take the Akron job. Not now. Not in the future.The same could have been said about Ohio but they paid a premium (at the time and for a MAC school) to land Solich. Akron could get a guy like Stoops as he's from the area and no BCS school would hire him right away. If Akron is willing to up the salary to say 500k I think they'd have a shot. :screwks:

Other names to consider...

Wisconsin OC - Paul Chryst

Houston Special Teams coordinator - Tony Levine (Minnesota ties)

Northern Iowa - Mark Farley

Any number of coaches from successful FCS schools...

KC Keeler, Hauck's replacement at Montana (though through only two seasons not sure how good he is)

Ideally they look at someone with no ties to Wistrcill this time.

I'd take Rob Ash, the current head man at Montana State. He has coached in Iowa, Montana, and most importantly Pennsylvania before so he would have some interesting recruiting connections, not to mention he is a successful and experienced HEAD COACH that tends to stick around for a while when he gets a new job.

Other names to consider...

Wisconsin OC - Paul Chryst

Houston Special Teams coordinator - Tony Levine (Minnesota ties)

Northern Iowa - Mark Farley

Any number of coaches from successful FCS schools...

KC Keeler, Hauck's replacement at Montana (though through only two seasons not sure how good he is)

Ideally they look at someone with no ties to Wistrcill this time.

I'd take Rob Ash, the current head man at Montana State. He has coached in Iowa, Montana, and most importantly Pennsylvania before so he would have some interesting recruiting connections, not to mention he is a successful and experienced HEAD COACH that tends to stick around for a while when he gets a new job.

An intelligent and wise choice. Wont happen.

Hopefully I am wrong.

I don't think you are wrong at all. This program is in such bad shape, it is going to be hard to bring in a decent D-1A assistant. It would be hard to bring in a decent DII or I-AA coach at this point. Coaches are very calculated about their careers and Akron isn't a strong career move. The following happened to our last four coachs.

Faust - Never got a sniff at another job in coaching

Owens - DII

JD - Out of coaching for a year and now assistant at Colorado

Coach I - Will be assistant somewhere

At this stage of the game I take Owens back. At least those teams did not go down without a fight!