Replacement rumors.

ZachTheZip

Who  

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jim Tressel is my choice. Here is why:

Solid history of winning at all levels. Former Akron assistant coach. Local ties thick as a 100 year old oak tree.

Close to retirement age (meaning he is already well heeled).Stays in the Ohio retirement system (Akron, YSU, Ohio State).

Has instant credibility with recruiting. Can help move Akron up and out of the Mid-American Conference.

Can bring in assistant coaches that would normally be out of Akron's sphere. Well liked by Zips fans despite coaching at theeOSwho.

Would be a HUGE coup for Tom Wistrcill.

All true, but I think you forgot the biggest one. He would draw a crowd at Infocision. All that being said, I am still against it. I don't like rewarding a multiple rule breaker and hypocrite. I'm not against it as much as I once was. The program is in such disarray right now, his pros may outweigh his cons in this case. Nah, I still hate that smug look on his face.

Jim Tressel screwed up, but he's not a bad person. He's a great coach, his players love him, he'd make us a Top 25 team, fill Infocision Stadium, get national media attention...how anyone could be against his potential hire is beyond me.

Regarding a new coach, I think we need to be realistic, even though it is fun to speculate in fan forums. UA is not likely to be attractive to guys who already have establsihed their name as D1 head coaches, particularly if they have been at more notable schools. As much as I love Jim Tressel, and believe he loves Ohio football, I simply can't imagine he'd take the UA job. Nor, do I think Leach or Stoops or others would. Heck, Rich Rod just got the job at Arizona after being specuated for Tulane and Ole Miss. These high profile coaches can get better jobs than Akron.

IMO, that leaves two types of coaches available. An up-and-comer who needs a platform to prove themselves and get head coaching experience before moving on in 3-5 years. Or, a solid guy who can win and is likely to stay with the program longer.

Personally, I like the first scenario. Let's get the program on track quickly and establsih a perception of excellence. If that means we are a stepping stone program for head coaches, so be it. Let's get the hottest, most energetic, driven guy out there. I don't even know who that is, but that's the profile I'd like to see.

It depends. Brookhart and Ianello were considered "up-and-comers". Hiring somebody like that is a major risk and it had better be a slam dunk.

Jim Tressel .... he'd make us a Top 25 team, fill Infocision Stadium,

He wouldn't make us a Top 25 team. He could get us what OU has right now and I would take an 8-9 win season in a second. I actually think a lot of guys could win at Akron given the chance.

Remember that the Ohio High School Football Coaches Association was asking coaches to wear a white dress shirt and tie in honor of what Jim Tressel has done for the state of Ohio...they proposed this to the coaches AFTER he resigned...If he gets hired here, that in-state recruiting just became a hot bed, dog fight with Jim Tressel and Urban Meyer recruiting everywhere in the state of Ohio...

A close friend to me, who does NOT make stuff up like this, told me that Jim Tressel WAS on campus a few weeks ago...

Maybe he was on his way to Can't to watch his former coach in action.

Tressel is not coming to Akron. It would be like a two term President running for Congress after his time in office.

John Quincy Adams served in Congress after being president and Andrew Johnson served in the Senate.

He wouldn't make us a Top 25 team. He could get us what OU has right now and I would take an 8-9 win season in a second. I actually think a lot of guys could win at Akron given the chance.

Jim Tressel is one of the top 5 coaches in America. He's also an incredible recruiters. Trust me, we'd be Top 25 within 2-3 years.

Jim Tressel is one of the top 5 coaches in America. He's also an incredible recruiters. Trust me, we'd be Top 25 within 2-3 years.

+1

His connections paired with his ability/personality would put us on a fast track to cracking the top 25 at one point. We would become the top of the MAC in a few years.

How often has any MAC team broke the top 25? And how quickly did they fall?

I have a hard time believing that any MAC team could be a consistent top 25 team. Its so unrealistic for any MAC team and if it was, its almost guaranteed the coach will be leaving at season's end for greener pastures. If you want to get to the top 25 and stick around that area, youre not going to do it in the MAC...

A close friend to me, who does NOT make stuff up like this, told me that Jim Tressel WAS on campus a few weeks ago...

Maybe he was on his way to Can't to watch his former coach in action.

Tressel is not coming to Akron. It would be like a two term President running for Congress after his time in office.

John Quincy Adams served in Congress after being president and Andrew Johnson served in the Senate.

Both were one term Presidents.

What is it with all this crazy talk of Tressel?

Look, I love UA and I'm hugely loyal fan, but how does this make any sense at all? Tressel is not completely toxic in the football world, and he doesn't need a stop at UA to resurrect his career. True, his brand is damaged a bit, but if he wanted to coach again he'd be attractive to another major program. Why would he even consider a stop in Akron at this point?

Then think about how much he was paid at OSU and how much he could make at another major. UA could never afford that kind of money unless a major donor stepped forward to fund it.

This makes about as much sense as me fantasizing that Kim Kardashian might be interested in marrying me and settling down to a life here in Ohio.

Oh how Iwould love to be wrong, but Tressel to UA defies all logic.

Are some people still forgetting that Tressel is going to get a coaching ban? And people are speculating that the ban is going to last a significant amount of time?

People are speculating on the man's punishment like people are speculating about him coming here. There's nothing wrong with daydreaming about something that would be a huge shot in the arm for the program and more than likely a huge positive. The man does have ties to the program and NE Ohio, so its not 100% beyond the realm of possibility.

Look, I love UA and I'm hugely loyal fan, but how does this make any sense at all? Tressel is not completely toxic in the football world, and he doesn't need a stop at UA to resurrect his career. True, his brand is damaged a bit, but if he wanted to coach again he'd be attractive to another major program. Why would he even consider a stop in Akron at this point?

Then think about how much he was paid at OSU and how much he could make at another major. UA could never afford that kind of money unless a major donor stepped forward to fund it.

This makes about as much sense as me fantasizing that Kim Kardashian might be interested in marrying me and settling down to a life here in Ohio.

72 days or some longer period??

I think Tressel would consider it. He is an ohio guy and has made enough money.

72 days or some longer period??

I think Tressel would consider it. He is an ohio guy and has made enough money.

Tressel is a NE Ohio guy. He coached at Akron and loves Akron.

He doesn't need the money.

I doubt he ever goes to another high profile program because he doesn't need the hassle.

That being said, skippy is right. He is probably going to get a show cause and not be coaching any time soon.

Jim Tressel is my choice. Here is why:

Solid history of winning at all levels. Former Akron assistant coach. Local ties thick as a 100 year old oak tree.

Close to retirement age (meaning he is already well heeled).Stays in the Ohio retirement system (Akron, YSU, Ohio State).

Has instant credibility with recruiting. Can help move Akron up and out of the Mid-American Conference.

Can bring in assistant coaches that would normally be out of Akron's sphere. Well liked by Zips fans despite coaching at theeOSwho.

Would be a HUGE coup for Tom Wistrcill.

All true, but I think you forgot the biggest one. He would draw a crowd at Infocision. All that being said, I am still against it. I don't like rewarding a multiple rule breaker and hypocrite. I'm not against it as much as I once was. The program is in such disarray right now, his pros may outweigh his cons in this case. Nah, I still hate that smug look on his face.

This is why I need to be on the search committee to get the real facts.

At first glance, I would be against it as well, but could be persuaded..

Agree- would draw a big crowd, unfortunately most would be dressed in red and silver. UA may like this, real Zips fans wouldn't.

He is still a big, fat liar and this would need to be vetted out.

Find it hard to believe that after one recruiting class, the Jim Tressel "name" would mean much.

Yes it meant alot when coaching at tosu, but when players realize they aint going to c-bus, how great of an impact will it really be?

i.e. Will JT recruit like hell or will he hand out scholarships to the hundreds of contacts he has made through out the state as favors to friends' kids who may not be D1 talent.

What a show-cause means is that anybody who hires him just has to present a compelling argument to the NCAA on why they need to hire that person.

If Can't could hire Senderoff with a show-cause, then we can hire Tressel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Show-cause_penalty

In the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), a show-cause penalty is an order saying that for a set period of time, any NCAA penalties imposed on a coach involved in major rules violations at a university's athletic program will remain in force if he is hired by any other NCAA member institution. Both the school and coach are required to send letters to the NCAA agreeing to abide by any restrictions imposed, and report back to the NCAA every 6 months until the end of employment or the show-cause, whichever comes first. If the school wishes to avoid the NCAA restrictions imposed on that individual, it must appear before the NCAA Committee on Infractions and "show cause" as to why it should not be penalized for hiring him.[1]

Contrary to popular belief, an NCAA member school is allowed to hire a coach with a show-cause order outstanding. However, a show-cause amounts to an official finding that a coach is a serious offender. Also, as mentioned above, any school that hires a coach with a show-cause order in effect can be penalized merely for doing so. Consequently, most schools will not even consider hiring a coach with a show-cause penalty in effect. For this reason, a show-cause penalty usually has the effect of blackballing a coach from the collegiate ranks for the duration of the penalty. Many coaches who are given such a penalty never coach again, even after the expiration of the penalty. The penalty is intended to follow a coach for violations that he had a role in committing.

Rob Senderoff – Former assistant at Indiana under Sampson who was found to have made many of the impermissible calls to recruits. He resigned in 2007, but was rehired by Can't State, where he had served as an assistant for five years before joining Sampson at IU, before the NCAA announced its findings. Senderoff was hit with a 30-month show-cause in November 2008. Can't State chose to keep him on its staff, presumably accepting any NCAA restrictions on his activities. After Geno Ford left for Bradley after the 2010–11 season, Senderoff was named as interim head coach and then permanent head coach. His show-cause expired on May 25, 2011

I smell a loophole. We need to hire Tressel before the NCAA sanctions him. But even if they do before we can get to him, we can keep him and eat some sanctions. I'm still of the opinion that a sanctioned Tressel is better for the program than any other coaching candidate we could come up with.

Well, Tressel would be a grand slam for Akron. If he can use UA to manage his career with the NCAA, then maybe that would be sufficent motivation for him to consider a stop here.

I just want to see somebody who can inject a positive attitude, get some momentum going, and start the winning. Just a few years ago we felt the program had tremendous potential. The new stadium, one of the most attractive campuses in the state university system, etc. should be great recruiting assets against other MAC schools. We've suffered a terrible setback during the past two years, but I believe the right person can make an impact here quickly.

If that is Tress, spectacular. If it is a hot-shot O or D coordinator, super. A promising head coach from a lower level, that can be okay too, but has some risk given what we've seen due to lack of experience under the current coach.

However, it has to be a guy who has been in the trenches making x and o decisions, and someone who can inspire the players. Maybe that was why Tressel was here recently. Maybe he was consulting with Dr. Proenza in regard to a coaching search and advising him what to look for.

Dr. Proenza has made some huge strategic decisions for UA. After the current coaching debacle, I hope he sees that finding the right football coach is hugely important too. Another mistake and we might..... man, I don't even want to think about the consequences of another blunder.

++++ Infinity :D

That's funny! Reminds me of another quote from years past - "Why's everybody talkin bout Joe Frazier"

In all seriousness though, any of the guys in this poll, and especially Jim Tressel, would be a HUGE upgrade over what we have now.

How often has any MAC team broke the top 25? And how quickly did they fall?

I have a hard time believing that any MAC team could be a consistent top 25 team. Its so unrealistic for any MAC team and if it was, its almost guaranteed the coach will be leaving at season's end for greener pastures. If you want to get to the top 25 and stick around that area, youre not going to do it in the MAC...

How many MAC teams have coaches as talented and as prestigious as Jim Tressel?

WHY is STOOPS name even mentioned.. HE GOT FIRED by Arizona..so something must not have been going to good. Why do we want a Coach who has been canned by another University. but WAIT... All the Posts at the beginning of the season were talking about THE LONE RANGER coming in and saving Akron Football. Also how BAD PN7 was. Well it looks like CM8 has fallen flat on his face. At least Nicely was able to beat Buffalo last year. This year he had a TD when he was throw in at the end. Nicely was a great QB in High School..and with the right coaching could really be an asset to the team. RI and RP need to be GONE. Scratch that,, the WHOLE STAFF needs to be gone. Sorry about the death of RIs mother, I lost my dad a few years back. But I have been watching the death of Akron Football every week since RI has been head coach. You GET the right coach,,,things will change. My wifes school down in Texas, SAM HOUSTON STATE. They fired their coach 2 years ago and hired a new one. Where is Sam Houston State now? 11-0 Ranked number 1 in 1AA and heading into the playoffs. Dont give me the BS Coach I,,how you need 5 years to develop a plan. YOU need 5 years to sock the money away that your stealing from Akron, because your sure not worth what your getting paid !!!