Talking Tressel

bobbyake

There are Tressel posts in about 4-5 different threads right now. Figured it would be easier on everyone if we dedicated a thread for the Tressel discussion.

Here's what we know so far: Footballscoop, the same source that first reported Ianello's hiring and firing, is reporting that Akron is going after Tressel.

"Akron: The same source that confirmed to us the Akron news on Tuesday has told us that Akron officials are targeting Jim Tressel. For what it's worth, Akron's facilities are considered "the best in the MAC"."

What would be the financial benefit of hiring Tressel? I believe Akron would sell a lot of tickets just because people would be interested to see how Tressel does with the program. I'm talking about an average of 21,000 plus.

I only believe Akron averaged around 4,000 people per game in 2011. If 21,000 is a possible per game average with Tressel, and the average revenue per person is $16, we're looking at an increase in revenue of $1,632,000 per year. I think my numbers are too conservative, we honestly could be looking at more than $3million factoring in merchandise, luxury tickets, etc.. etc..

The possibilities Tressel brings to the program tells me he's well worth the cost to acquire him. If he could turn this program around and make Akron a consistent winner, this program will be heading to a bigger conference (Big East or ACC?). There's at least $1million a year to be gained from being in a bigger conference.

But I don't think I need to convince anyone here the value of bringing in Tressel, the rumors are saying that Akron is already going after him.

It's basically Tressel's job if he wants it.

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We could sell $1.6 million in AkrOn sweater vests alone.

Akron would actually get decent shelf space in local stores for merchandise, imagine that.

This is basically the only way Tom Wistrcill saves his job. I think he knows this and that's why Akron is seriously targeting Tressel.

There are Tressel posts in about 4-5 different threads right now. Figured it would be easier on everyone if we dedicated a thread for the Tressel discussion.

Here's what we know so far: Footballscoop, the same source that first reported Ianello's hiring and firing, is reporting that Akron is going after Tressel.

"Akron: The same source that confirmed to us the Akron news on Tuesday has told us that Akron officials are targeting Jim Tressel. For what it's worth, Akron's facilities are considered "the best in the MAC"."

What would be the financial benefit of hiring Tressel? I believe Akron would sell a lot of tickets just because people would be interested to see how Tressel does with the program. I'm talking about an average of 21,000 plus.

I only believe Akron averaged around 4,000 people per game in 2011. If 21,000 is a possible per game average with Tressel, and the average revenue per person is $16, we're looking at an increase in revenue of $1,632,000 per year. I think my numbers are too conservative, we honestly could be looking at more than $3million factoring in merchandise, luxury tickets, etc.. etc..

The possibilities Tressel brings to the program tells me he's well worth the cost to acquire him. If he could turn this program around and make Akron a consistent winner, this program will be heading to a bigger conference (Big East or ACC?). There's at least $1million a year to be gained from being in a bigger conference.

But I don't think I need to convince anyone here the value of bringing in Tressel, the rumors are saying that Akron is already going after him.

It's basically Tressel's job if he wants it.

+1 You are much closer to the truth than you realize.

Golly, something tells me all of this discussion about Tressel coaching at Akron is all hooey.

Tressel was in Tommy Evans Lounge yesterday, spotted by several people. This is Tressel's job if he wants it. He's been to several athletic events this year including the Zips soccer game against OSUcks. Who knows if he'll accept, but we should get everyone in this community behind a Tressel hire. Spread the word that Akron wants him. Put some pressure on him to say "yes"

Let's be honest, the only hire that is going to breathe life into the program for next season (or the next few) via a good recruiting class and enthusiasm from fans and alumni is Jim Tressel. He also brings potential stability in that he's been there and done that at a big name school and may just want to settle down somewhere for the remainder of his career.

Are others capable? Sure, but it would likely take years for someone else to do it, and then they'd probably be skipping out of town for greener pastures as soon as the program has recovered. (I know, great problem to have, right?)

You know, five years from now, we may look back at the iCoach era and be thankful because it allowed the stars to align for Tressel to be brought in. In other words, iCoach provided a buffer until Tressel was available. Time will tell.

Given the current state of conference realignments, you have to realize that the window for moving to a bigger/better conference is potentially limited to the next five years. We're a good football program and a basketball arena from making that transition. LP and TW are no doubt aware of this. The stakes for the hire couldn't be higher. :)

Everyone needs to start believing this is a real possibility. Akron is in the process of courting him for the job, he was indeed in Tommy Evans Lounge last night. There is some hope. It could help if we grew this group a bit http://www.facebook.com/groups/140991172667988/ because Akron could use our help right now.

Everyone needs to start believing this is a real possibility. Akron is in the process of courting him for the job, he was indeed in Tommy Evans Lounge last night. There is some hope. It could help if we grew this group a bit http://www.facebook.com/groups/140991172667988/ because Akron could use our help right now.

How do you know he was at Tommy Evan's last night? Was this during the basketball game? That could just be another rumor for all we know. I'll give you that I walked past Tommy Evan's and saw a big crowd inside but I figured it was just Z-fund donors or something. Now I wish I would have taken a closer look.

How do you know he was at Tommy Evan's last night? Was this during the basketball game? That could just be a rumor for all we know. I'll give you that I walked past Tommy Evan's and saw a big crowd inside but I figured it was just Z-fund donors or something. Now I wish I would have taken a closer look.

multiple sources telling me that Tressel was indeed in Tommy Evan's last night. We can not let Tressel say no to the job, let's get behind this.

Does anyone know the history of footballscoop's accuracy?

they're source is accurate in this case.

Hiring Tressel is a game changer for Tom Wistrcill's career, I'm hearing he's doing everything he can to sign Tressel. He got Tressel here visiting last night, maybe he can pull it off.

Does it matter? All they're saying is Akron is "targeting" him. Doesn't mean he would coach here regardless. Everybody needs to chill and let this play out instead of clinging to every single rumor or posting the same thing over and over. I seriously doubt the number of message board posts or members in a facebook group supporting a particular candidate are going to factor into the decision in any way.

Does it matter? All they're saying is Akron is "targeting" him. Doesn't mean he would coach here regardless. Everybody needs to chill and let this play out instead of clinging to every single rumor or posting the same thing over and over. I seriously doubt the number of message board posts or members in a facebook group supporting a particular candidate are going to factor into the decision in any way.

The fact that Tressel was visiting yesterday shows that he's somewhat interested. He could have just said no thank you and saved himself the time.

The football scoop story made it to ESPN if you have Insider...

"UPDATE: From 1975 to 1978, Jim Tressel was simply a graduate assistant at the University of Akron serving under his mentor Jim Dennison.

The Zips' brass is hoping he can rekindle some of that old magic.

FootballScoop.com reported, "...source that confirmed to us the Akron news on Tuesday (Ianello's eventual release) has told us that Akron officials are targeting Jim Tressel. For what it's worth, Akron's facilities are considered 'the best in the MAC.'"

It may be wishful thinking on the part of Akron, but it never hurts to ask. "

Golly, something tells me all of this discussion about Tressel coaching at Akron is all hooey.

Tressel was in Tommy Evans Lounge yesterday, spotted by several people. This is Tressel's job if he wants it. He's been to several athletic events this year including the Zips soccer game against OSUcks. Who knows if he'll accept, but we should get everyone in this community behind a Tressel hire. Spread the word that Akron wants him. Put some pressure on him to say "yes"

Maybe he was here talking up his man Fickell. Maybe not.

Maybe he was here talking up his man Fickell. Maybe not.

That's not something that needs to be done in person.

Who is able to enter Tommy Evans Lounge? There are two things that make me raise an eyebrow:

How did Tressel make it in and out of the JAR while also hanging out in Tommy Evans Lounge without anyone here physically seeing him? And how did he do the same without any media types seeing him an making note?

Who is able to enter Tommy Evans Lounge? There are two things that make me raise an eyebrow:

How did Tressel make it in and out of the JAR while also hanging out in Tommy Evans Lounge without anyone here physically seeing him? And how did he do the same without any media types seeing him an making note?

it was an hour before the game.