Reconfiguring Zip Broadcasts

ZipAnalyst

I like Steve French, and I don't really have an opinion of Frank Stams. But, I am amazed at the criticism of Joe Dunn. How much more knowledge does he have to have? I think he does a hell of a job, not just for Akron U , but here locally on the high school scene, too. Wow, different styles appeal to different people, i get that, but, I just don't see how Joe could do a better job for us. :bow:

i gotta defend joe. he may not have the best voice for the job but no one knows akron u sports history (and local high school sports for that matter) better than he. he'd probably be the first to correct me and say there is no such thing as "akron u", it's akron or the university of akron. he may not be flushy but damnit, he's ours and he knows more about akron sports than this whole board put together
Joe IS NOT a good announcer.He sugar-coats EVERYTHING.He often proclaims that he just saw the greatest call ever. Joe has seen a lot of games, I have a hard time believing that a Luke Getsy TD pass is the greatest play he has ever seen
I couldn't agree more with FTBR and less with AUR. Joe Dunn does a great job interviewing with inciteful questions. While I agree everyone has their opinions and are free to post them, AUR's thoughts about Joe Dunn are without merit. People criticize for sugar coating, homerism, getting down on the team, depressing, boring,.... I say to all those that a good broadcaster is able to impart to the listeners the emotion of the game. Our guys do it well.
Wow, different styles appeal to different people, i get that, but, I just don't see how Joe could do a better job for us
And LILJC is right about Joe and the job he does for us. My opinion is that you would be hard pressed to find someone with his depth of knowlege to fill his shoes. We have the best play by play team around and I for one feel fortunate they're still here. Keep up the good work guys! :macc: :screwks::cheers:

Frenchie would be accepted to do radio play-by play in hoops for any program in the country. I think he is outstanding...He paints a very nice picture of the game. Sure he gets on the officials, as mentioned above, but if you went to enough away games and witnessed how bad the calls can get, I am glad he brings it up. He brings great energy, enthusiasm and a love for the Zips that is unmatched....The change of inflection in his voice when a great play is happening is unique....on the flip side, sometimes we lose a game 25 times before it's over......which again shows how much he truly cares. Football, on the other hand--I find him to be pretty lousy...As mentioned, I think a little has to do with how far from the field he sits in football versus sitting courtside in basketball, and a little of his problems stem from a lack of or poor spotter....but at some point he has to take the blame. He seems to inform us incorrectly on the ball carrier, receiver, whether the ball was caught or not, did the player get a first down, as well as who made the tackle every third play. So many times if he would just look at the official, he would know the answer. Furthermore, I am very certain that he is not up to date on the rules of the game, which adds to the confusion. As for his booth mates......Stams is outstanding....He will go big time as an analyst some day, something that Frenchie did not want to do....JJ belongs on the sideline in football.....and is OK. He says so little during hoop broadcasts that he doesn't really add to or subtract from the game...

Remember, French is the guy who just a few weeks ago said, "SACK" on air and it was not during a football game.He is better for basketball, but to say he could do play-by-play for any team in the country is a GREAT exaggeration. Time to put down the crack pipe ZipsWin. If that was the case, Steve would have left Akron years ago for more money somewhere else. I like Steve, but him and Joe could not spot for Paul Keels and Jim Lachey down in Columbus. Stams (much like Lolla before him and JD in the future) will use Akron as a stepping stone and go onto bigger and better things. This is my final post on this topic, obviously not everyone is going to agree with me. However, if UAM sticks by Steve and Joe, then they are good enough for him. And if they are good enough for him, they are good enough for me. All you have to do is look at how greatly he has improved the coverage of Zips Athletics since he arrived:The broadcasts sound 100% better, he expanded coverage, added stams to the team, brought on tommy g to do women's hoops and other sports, and brought on board bigtime sponsors.

I hate to quote myself, but this is from the EMU thread:"...you make a good point that I have thought about a lot this year:  Steve French is always all over the officials.  Now, to be fair, I am a college and high school official, but when I am at a Zips game I am a ZIPS fan. But it always seems that Frenchy is riding the officials.  When I go to the games, I usually have my radio on with earphones, so I see a lot of the calls that he complains about. Now, 70% of the time no one in the gym has a better angle or distance than the referee. Another 20% of the time fans just are ignorant to the rules (for example, there is no such thing as "3-seconds" in the key. It is called a "lane violation" and it usually takes about 5-6 seconds to get one called!).So, my point is that when there really is a bad call, we don't know because most of the time Frenchy doesn't like any of the calls!!!' :blink:OK, so all that being said, agree it could be much worse as we could have Bill Needle :zzz: As for the comment above about him missing calls and players' names in football:  he needs to have a spotter. The spotter is going to tell him information like that to supplement his play-by-play.Also, our braodcast have production value. Have you ever listened to a Can't State game? it is all monotone voice with no music beds or any of the 'extrasa' that provide color to the broadcast.  They go into and out of commercials with voice and no music most of the time. Plus, can anyone actually get 100.1 FM?? I can get 1350 AM strong.Sure there are others better than Frenchie, but he better than what most have in the area! :rolleyes:
No such thing as a 3 second violation? :rolleyes:

• 14 years later...

I have been a season basketball ticket holder for over 30, mostly (expensive) floor seats.  Steve French is the best. Another dumb move from a university that is in the survival mode. I m looking forward to finding out who made the decision and why. This is another reason for Akron fans to to show up!  Very Bad move!!

Edited by Die hard zip fan
Spelling
  • Like 4