"Anytime. Anyplace. Anywhere." Does Pat Hill, formerly of Fresno State, deserve a look?

InTheZone

I think everyone on here knows who my #1 candidate for head coach is, but with Fresno State cutting Pat Hill loose today (I think they'll soon find out this was a huge mistake), I think he'd be a good guy to give a call to and get in here for an interview. Through the years I was always impressed with the fire his team played with and the way they'd go out and punch anybody in the mouth. Some near upsets of USC during their glory years mid-decade were particularly entertaining. He fits the mold of what I've stated repeatedly we need: A coach who has built a program from nothing, and knows how to get the most out of limited talent. He's had a winning model through the years, only this year having a rough 4-8 record and being let go.

I think everyone on here knows who my #1 candidate for head coach is, but with Fresno State cutting Pat Hill loose today (I think they'll soon find out this was a huge mistake), I think he'd be a good guy to give a call to and get in here for an interview. Through the years I was always impressed with the fire his team played with and the way they'd go out and punch anybody in the mouth. Some near upsets of USC during their glory years mid-decade were particularly entertaining. He fits the mold of what I've stated repeatedly we need: A coach who has built a program from nothing, and knows how to get the most out of limited talent. He's had a winning model through the years, only this year having a rough 4-8 record and being let go.

Why has Fresno State eroded since David Carr left?

6-or-so years ago, I loved watching the Fresno State games on Thursday nights. They were as fun to watch as Boise State. But Boise kept up the pace, and Fresno State regressed. On the surface, it seems like Hill lost his magic?

Maybe he's another Schnellenberger? Maybe he simply has a nice mustache like Schnellenberger?

Fresno regressed after David Carr left? I don't see it that way at all. They won 3 straight bowl games AFTER Carr graduated. His last season was 2001. I doubt Hill would come here, but his record is pretty impressive. Only a few losing seasons in 15 years of coaching.

1997 Fresno State 6–6 5–3 3rd (Pacific)

1998 Fresno State 5–6 5–3 T–3rd (Pacific)

1999 Fresno State 8–5 5–2 T–1st L Las Vegas

2000 Fresno State 7–5 6–2 3rd L Silicon Valley

2001 Fresno State 11–3 6–2 T–2nd L Silicon Valley

2002 Fresno State 9–5 6–2 3rd W Silicon Valley

2003 Fresno State 9–5 6–2 T–2nd W Silicon Valley

2004 Fresno State 9–3 5–3 T–3rd W MPC Computers 22 22

2005 Fresno State 8–5 6–2 T–3rd L Liberty

2006 Fresno State 4–8 4–4 5th

2007 Fresno State 9–4 6–2 3rd W Humanitarian

2008 Fresno State 7–6 4–4 T–5th L New Mexico

2009 Fresno State 8–5 6–2 3rd L New Mexico

2010 Fresno State 8–5 5–3 4th L Humanitarian

2011 Fresno State 4–9 3–4 T–4th

Fresno State: 112–80 78–40

I am even more impressed with Pat Hill after conisidering his students success in the classroom.

It will be interesting to see if the same people who claim they want a more difficult OOC schedule will make any comments about Fresno State’s record. It appears rather unimpressive until you consider who they played. Pat Hill would move to the top of the list for me. He spent enough time in Ohio to understand the culture here. His success on and off the field are what we want and need as a HC. But if he does not want to consider Akron...no one should criticize him. People make life choices and should not be criticized because they do not match what we want or need. And Paul Winter would still look good in my eyes. Pat just looks better right now.

"Pat Hill currently has 17 wins over BCS automatic qualifying conference teams, which is tied for the most wins for any non-automatic qualifer with Utah."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Hill

Fresno regressed after David Carr left? I don't see it that way at all. They won 3 straight bowl games AFTER Carr graduated. His last season was 2001. I doubt Hill would come here, but his record is pretty impressive.

2001? Who knew? I'm getting old, I guess.

Fresno did tread some water at an elevated level for a couple years after Carr, but lately, my point stands that Hill's magic has pretty-much disappeared. While Boise has kept on rolling.

2, 4-win seasons out of the past 6

3 lower-tier bowl losses out of the past 4 appearances (granted, one more win than OU)

The guy is obviously a good coach, but his best days appear to be behind him.

I think it would be like the Vikings picking up Donovan McNabb. The Celtics picking up Shaq. Stats, schmatz...his better days are behind him.

I like the idea, having watched FSU in the WAC for 20+ years. He's a "really nice guy", which may explain why he lasted as long as he did without achieving goals such as a top-25 ranking. However, He didn't take FSU to the top from "out of nowhere". They have been good for a very long time. I'd like to think he might consider it.

If he really had roots here, I could buy it (like a Solich). I just don't see a guy that was born in LA and is almost 60 coming to Akron for his "retirement".

I see Hill landing at a PAC 12 school in a coordinator or position coach type role.

Should Tommy W call him? Heck yeah. That would constitute a NATIONAL search!!!!

Fresno regressed after David Carr left? I don't see it that way at all. They won 3 straight bowl games AFTER Carr graduated. His last season was 2001. I doubt Hill would come here, but his record is pretty impressive.

2001? Who knew? I'm getting old, I guess.

Fresno did tread some water at an elevated level for a couple years after Carr, but lately, my point stands that Hill's magic has pretty-much disappeared. While Boise has kept on rolling.

2, 4-win seasons out of the past 6

3 lower-tier bowl losses out of the past 4 appearances (granted, one more win than OU)

The guy is obviously a good coach, but his best days appear to be behind him.

I think it would be like the Vikings picking up Donovan McNabb. The Celtics picking up Shaq. Stats, schmatz...his better days are behind him.

This is the first serious candidate mentioned since the withdrawal of Tressel's name.

Since he is about the same age as Tressel ... what's the rub?

This is the caliber of coach that leads the Zips up and out of the morass the past two coaches

have put them in. Poor, well qualified, Paul Winters is not going to do it. Coach Winters

just does not bring to the table the needed credentials.

I am pleased if he even considers the Zips. Tommy W. go get him.

Yea, I think we need to look at this guy based off of the comments here. I think the WAC is a step above the MAC so he may have success here. I also agree that he probably won't want to come to Ohio unless he has some experience here. Did he have a young class or something to explain the down year??

I am even more impressed with Pat Hill after conisidering his students success in the classroom.

It will be interesting to see if the same people who claim they want a more difficult OOC schedule will make any comments about Fresno State’s record. It appears rather unimpressive until you consider who they played. Pat Hill would move to the top of the list for me. He spent enough time in Ohio to understand the culture here. His success on and off the field are what we want and need as a HC. But if he does not want to consider Akron...no one should criticize him. People make life choices and should not be criticized because they do not match what we want or need. And Paul Winter would still look good in my eyes. Pat just looks better right now.

"Pat Hill currently has 17 wins over BCS automatic qualifying conference teams, which is tied for the most wins for any non-automatic qualifer with Utah."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Hill

I don't know if this guy is the best candidate. But, this particular fact should be a major attention-getter for us. And his overall record is pretty good, and so is his length of D-1A coaching experience.

Instead of looking at all of these wins against BCS schools, there's some people here that are still stuck on looking at a guy who's beating teams like Lake Erie High School in Painesville (oops, sorry, "college") and has a mediocre record.

I just don't get it. We should all be hoping that our administration will aim as high as possible with our list of candidates for this job. I think a guy like Hill should be very attainable for us, if you look at who programs like UAB and FAU just landed.

Yea, I think we need to look at this guy based off of the comments here. I think the WAC is a step above the MAC so he may have success here. I also agree that he probably won't want to come to Ohio unless he has some experience here. Did he have a young class or something to explain the down year??

This article implies a small recruiting budget might be a culprit.

@Z.I.P. - You're right, Fresno was plenty good under long-time coach Jim Sweeney too. Ahhh the old PCAA. Now THAT was the original "bombs away", low budget conference :thumb:

Updated! :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Who's this new thumbnail chart for?

The coach who can only beat the likes of Lake Erie High School.

I was comparing the teams that an experienced D-1A coach like Hill has beaten, compared to the types of schools that compete in D-II. If you've ever been there, you'd see what I am talking about.

Feel free to keep setting those sights high :thumb:

I was comparing the teams that an experienced D-1A coach like Hill has beaten, compared to the types of schools that compete in D-II. If you've ever been there, you'd see what I am talking about.

And if you bothered to check into it, you'd know that Lake Erie didn't join the GLIAC until 2010. They're a far cry from Hillsdale, Saginaw Valley etc. Why no mention of Wayne St beating three consectutive ranked teams, one of them the defending national champs, and all on the road?

And if you bothered to check into it, you'd know that Lake Erie didn't join the GLIAC until 2010. They're a far cry from Hillsdale, Saginaw Valley etc. Why no mention of Wayne St beating three consectutive ranked teams, one of them the defending national champs, and all on the road?

Why confuse a good story with facts?? :nono:

Outside of 3 years with the Browns from 1992-95 Hill has never been in Ohio and has never worked at a college east of the Mississippi. Bad mix there, along with he has been on the downward spiral not having won his league since 1999 and no better than 2nd since 2003.

There are obviously some red flags regarding Pat Hill. But he had FRESNO rated as high as #8. He is worth a taking a look and kicking the tires. CK and others may be right...he has lost the fire in the belly to compete. Maybe there are other issues...California schools have come under extreme budgetary pressure as the state is almost bankrupt. I am assuming those things can be determined during the vetting and interview process. IMO...he should go through that process to see if he still has the fire...he would be a great hire he he does. Akron is a far better launching pad than Fresno State.